By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Update: 100 million mark reached!)Prediction:Switch will go on to sell 100+ million units

Excluding both the DS and Wii, If the Switch sells on par with the typical Nintendo handheld (70-100m) combined with the typical Nintendo home console from the past 20 years (15-30m) then 100 should certainly be achievable or at least get close. Some people are being way too cynical and not realizing the automatic sales boost NS will get from being the only Nintendo console on the market and no handheld competitor. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Nautilus said:

I mean sure they can, if they write as well as I do and make arguments as well as I do!Now, I dont see any arguments in that 200 millions prediction XD

Arguments? You think you wrote good arguments? Your second "point" is just you saying "if Nintendo can pull in the numbers (you don't say how) then developers will make games for it". 

Your first point is the assumption that casual gamers will turn into mainstream or core gamers. We know this does not happen.

Your 3rd is about how Nintendo MUST nail their first year going on about how they will because they have Zelda and possibly a new 3D Mario. How many Mario games did the WiiU have? A lot - that didn't help. You're overrestimating the selling power of those IPs.

I know, right? Saying "my arguments are good" is like saying "I think I'm right". Of course you do! If you didn't, you wouldn't have said that. Let others speak about how good or bad they are. You're the last person who should be evaulating your own points.

Also, agreed about the bolded.

Nautilus said:
HollyGamer said:

I am just giving some sugestion (take it or leave it) , first, you should change your thread title to " how to make " switch sells more then 100m". Your writing full of sugestion and and your own idea on how  to make switch succes, rather then pointing  on where you get the ideal number, or how you get  the formula to get that number, and where did you get the data. Please respect people in here also , who want seriously read  sales prediction. I dont want to argue because there is nothing to argue in it.  It will never become a good discussion if the content is lack of effort , i like to discuss sales and etc. but your writing is just lack of data. 

Lacks effort?Really?I may not have show much numbers, but I have show evidences, logics behind my reasoning and much more.What kind of numbers do you want when there is no hybrid machine in the market?If that were so, everyone should predict that VR is general will fail because the virtual boy failed.I mean, its data, numbers right there.If you dont have precedence, how do you want make it more based on numbers?Not to mention that, while I did not write in the initail post, I did point out that Nintendo could appeal to the 3DS and Vita consumer.Vita because the Switch is a natural evolution of it and 3DS because the Switch is, if Nintendo dosent fuck with it, an excellent system as a handheld.

My point is, its great when you have more numbers, more facts and more evidence to back it up.But there are more than one way to prove a point.Making reasonable assertions based on  trends, or a logical deduction of something is also valid.I am making serious sales predictions.I am not saying "Ohhhhh 100 is a round and nice number".I was trying to base more on thing we have better knoledge off, instead of just accepting any kind of rumor that have been circulating as true and build my arguments on that.It makes the reasoning more credible and simply more grounded.

Now, if it either too hard for you to understand my logic, or that you think that sales discussion is only about numbers and dosent take account consumer mentality, market acceptance to a product, brand awareness,technology adaptance and many more, then Im sorry but I dont have anything else that i can say to you for you to see my point

Your way of reading the market and saying "if there wasn't any product like that then it's impossible to look at the past and look at data to do my analysis" or that "VR would fail based on VirtuaBoy" would make you a very non-sucessfull enterpreneur.

You can always look at market trends to predict your product even if one like yours were never released, because nothing is completely different from all products ever released, they already have some type of market or similarity to other products.

And on VirtuaBoy... Vive, Ocullus and the like haven't sold over 1M yet so you could say they are still on flop state. But they could suceed... the VirtuaBoy comparison would be valid if a system were being released like 1-3 years after it, but 20 years is a completely different market to even compare.

HyrulianScrolls said:

Excluding both the DS and Wii, If the Switch sells on par with the typical Nintendo handheld (70-100m) combined with the typical Nintendo home console from the past 20 years (15-30m) then 100 should certainly be achievable or at least get close. Some people are being way too cynical and not realizing the automatic sales boost NS will get from being the only Nintendo console on the market and no handheld competitor. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

-snip-

Nautilus said:
DM235 said:
I can confidently say that it will sell zero units this year (pre-orders don't count).

I can also confidently say that the launch NS SKU will not sell anywhere close to 100 million units.

If the NS launches at $199, it will sell 40+ million units. If it launches at $250 or more, it will sell less than 25 million units (basically just to the Nintendo fanbase). I think this will hold true no matter what the other specs are (hardware specs, online capabilities, battery life, etc).

Why?Because its a Nintendo console?You think people will see the Switch and, lets say its the perfect system and gets everything right, says "oh  its Nintendo, I dont want to buy it".Please give me an actual reason other than that.

Because it is launching in the middle of a generation where it is 40 million units behind the market leader (PS4).  A PS4 can also be purchased for $299 with a bundled game (Uncharted), and where it already has a vast library of games.  If Nintendo launches the Switch at the same price point, it will repeat what the Wii U did and only sell to the Nintendo fanbase.  At $199, it has a chance to sell to everyone as a second console.

Around the Network
DM235 said:
Nautilus said:

Why?Because its a Nintendo console?You think people will see the Switch and, lets say its the perfect system and gets everything right, says "oh  its Nintendo, I dont want to buy it".Please give me an actual reason other than that.

Because it is launching in the middle of a generation where it is 40 million units behind the market leader (PS4).  A PS4 can also be purchased for $299 with a bundled game (Uncharted), and where it already has a vast library of games.  If Nintendo launches the Switch at the same price point, it will repeat what the Wii U did and only sell to the Nintendo fanbase.  At $199, it has a chance to sell to everyone as a second console.

If that were the case, then the PS4 should have bombed, since there were already 80 million PS3s and 80 million Xbox360, and they are way cheaper.That logic is flawed.If Nintendo presents a desirable product and manages to market it well, people will want to buy it.Having the PS4 as the market leader makes it more dificult?Sure.But as long as it gets everything right(games, hardware, functionality and so on) and the price is competitive(300 is competitive, no matter what you say.200 for what they are selling is simply delusional) in comparison for what it gives and has, it has a chance to sell.

Now, if it sells or not, it depends solely on Nintendo, with making a great system and having a great marketing.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Hiku said:
Mummelmann said:

No, no, the gaming market has grown immensely, but gamers are more scattered than ever. The so-called fringe consumers have more choices and opt for devices and games that suit their specific tastes and needs better (and budget). The console market as a whole is moving quite slowly compared to the 7th and yet revenue from gaming on a global scale has doubled in half a decade.
It is too early to tell, but I prefer being grounded to being overly optimistic or pessimistic.

Like I freely admit; I could be wrong, it's not like I haven't been wrong before.

Right, I meant to say the core console market. The drop in pace can largely be attributed to Wii's broad appeal to non-gamers/casual-gamers in contrast to their huge mishap with WiiU. That crowd is no longer here. And when comparing sales to the previous generation, their disappearance largly affects Nintendo, but is more or less irrelevant for Sony's sales.

That's a good point, which I've also understood for some time; the PS4 simply has access to an, on average, more stable pool of consumers over any given period of time. I'm not technically arguing that this is so much smaller now than before in theory, so much as suggesting that there won't be enough time and not enough leeway on pricing in the 8th gen to collect as many sales as it could have under diffrent circumstances, and that there are a lot more potential detractors. And even static devices have fringe customers, consumers who can be swayed into buying other devices or who purhcase more on a whim or due to specific software titles, features or "it" factor. The PS2 had a lot of fringe customers most likely, this is made even more likely by the immense breadth of software that it offered. The market constant for consoles is that people buy games, so a broader offering of software will ensure you tap into the market constant in a bigger way.
The PS4 falls under this and has good breadth that is getting even better, but the problems remain with a likely shorter generation and relying on revision (like I said in 2013 that consoles would in the 8th gen, to a bigger extent than before) and this is paired with attempts at peripherals that simply fall way short of mainstream territory mainly due to pricing and also miss potential core consumers due to poor implementation and UI, connectivity etc. (talking about PSVR of course).

Choices are more plenty, the pace is faster, revisions closer in between and prices are harder to drop due to the multitude of features and additions to modern static devices (like consoles). Consoles are technically cheaper to buy for consumers today than 20-30 years ago, but building cost deflation is slower due to the need for a lot more 3rd party parts and solutions through offerings both in OS, licenses, digital and physical features and hardware.

Put simply; the PS4 (and Xbox One and Wii U) is a static product in a really fast-paced consumer electronics market. Revision and updates will only get you so far and the cycles are bound to be shorter than a decade or two ago. In addition to the pace, the sheer selection of devices, platforms and forms of gaming is incredible compared to early 2000's or late 1990's. For me, this means that 110 million sales for the PS4 is really, really hard to reach and it makes perfect sense from where I'm sitting (again though, I could very well be wrong).

curl-6 said:
sergiodaly said:

I was lead into this mistake by another user. So just change 70 to 60 in my post, and i stand by my message. 

Yeah, I too will be very surprised if Switch reaches 60 million. Only 11 video game systems in history have ever passed that threshold, and between mobile, Playstation, and Xbox, day's gaming market is blood red ocean filled with very big sharks.

I understand that Nintendo fans are very excited about Switch, but to quote Xenoblade Chronicles...

my real predition is way below the 3ds numbers but i don't like to be to agressive and i don't need to force my opinion on other peoples face, that is why i used that number and talk about surprise instead of calling out of the gate impossible. But if people are exited and do believe that it can reach 100 mil, well ride the wave hard and enjoy it while it last. don't want to ruin their fun.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

If the 3DS and WiiU don't sell 100m together, the Switch will not sell 100m.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
If the 3DS and WiiU don't sell 100m together, the Switch will not sell 100m.

But the DS and Wii sold 250M together so doesn't that mean Switch could?

The NES and Gameboy sold 180M. The PSP and PS2 sold 240M.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!