By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lets get real about the most likely scenario with NS.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I appreciate all the time that went into this post!

One thing: I guess I don't see the hate for the switch name. It's short and describes the raison d'etre of the device. Certainly a lot better than WiiU or Xbox One.

It's just a little awkward to say "hey man, gettin on the switch later?". As I even said in the post, it is a non issue, but it is also a bad name.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Random_Matt said:
If the dock doesn't have any specs in it, then frame rates will be the same. The TV is only going to upscale the resolution.

The dock delivers a stable supply of power -> more power available to chipset than battery -> -> system runs faster -> higher res rendered in reality (not upscale) -> possibly more FPS as well.

If it has a fan, it can further cool the Switch & enables the GPU to run at higher clock speed.

These are all the benefits I can realisticly foresee with the dock power-wise, higher stable power supply so it can run full power with no regards to the battery & a cooling fan to allow higher clock speeds for better performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Lmao, let's 'get real' about the NS based on what YOU think its future will be? Like come on. 

It was a 3 minute teaser, unless you work at Nintendo and actually had a hand in developing it and know the specs and ins and outs of it, you have no right to say about what its 'most likely' outcome is, nobody does. You have nothing to base any of this off of, and even if you did how would ANYBODY possibly know how a system's future could be when it could have any outcome. 

Xen said:
Random_Matt said:
If the dock doesn't have any specs in it, then frame rates will be the same. The TV is only going to upscale the resolution.

The dock delivers a stable supply of power -> more power available to chipset than battery -> -> system runs faster -> higher res rendered in reality (not upscale) -> possibly more FPS as well.

^ this is my belief.

540-720p when portable.

720p-1080p when docked, on tv.

Where does the extra cpu&gpu power come from? Your thinking about it backwards.

How does it play the those games and not run out of battery in 2 secounds flat? well it downclocks when its portable, which means it then also drops resolution so it still runs smoothly (but uses less power).

Agree with most of what you say.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:

2: The above will matter less because Japanese devs are gonna support the crap out of it with big budget exclusives. Remember Bravely Default? At 1080p it's gonna blow your mind. Japanese devs are gonna be there because its gonna sell like mad. I don't see an outcome where this isn't a raging success in Japan.

3: Switch is a bad name. Like, REALLY BAD. People are pretty much just calling it NS, which doesn't roll off the tounge either. This point in the overall scheme of things matters little to none though.

6: The amount of 1st party games is going to be incredible. The same engines Nintendo had to struggle making during the Wii U era have now been made (thank you Retro), and all the devs gotta do now is make games, which they have assets from most their franchises already made as well. And hell yeah are they going to. It's gonna be a great time for lovers of 1st party. This will be bolstered by films and IOS games. 

9: Nintendo already confirmed there is not another GPU, ect in the dock. Games will look the same with a resolution bump and better frame rate. It's just the way it is guys. "Providing power to the system just means the tablet will run off the wall socket, your secret sauce is in another castle. That said, the games will look fine. Noticeably worse than the others, but fine.

10: Let's get back to reality. This gen for Nintendo is gonna be great because of the software, not the hardware or graphical power, and that's fine. 

Well that's it. I know this will come off as obvious to most people, but let's get the rest on board to not be set up for disappointment.

2. I don't see games like Final Fantasy 7 Remake coming to NS now, so I don't know about big budget Japanese titles. It will depend on the sales of course. If it's very successful, then yeah. But keep in mind that Wii was very successful and it didn't really get much in terms of big budget support.
As for the sales in Japan, I'm more cautiously optimistic. I don't know how the fact that everyone has a smartphone will affect the appeal of the NS.

3. NS sounds like saying NX with a lisp.

6. Hopefully. Depends on how different the architecture is in the NS.

9. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo did not confirm that. They said what the main purpose of the docking station was, and didn't mention adding additional processing. That doesn't rule out the possibility that it's there but not considered a main purpose.

2: Keep in mind what comes out worldwide isn't the same as what comes out in Japan. Dragon Quest X I'd say is big budget. Also, I'm not saying AAA. I'd say The Crystal Bearers with its graphics and open world was pretty big budget, even if it is only a fraction of what Final Fantasy XIII cost. It also had 2 Tales Of games one of which never made it state side, a few Dragon Quest games beyond X that did make it world wide, ect. The japanese 3rd party support for Wii was really good actually.

3: Lol, yeah

9: We'll see. I'd say if there was a noticeable improvement to graphics it'd be a pretty big primary focus of it. The fact that nothing like that is mentioned means its fairly likely not there. 

Xen said:
Random_Matt said:

Yes, quite right.

FloatingWaffles said:

Lmao, let's 'get real' about the NS based on what YOU think its future will be? Like come on. 

It was a 3 minute teaser, unless you work at Nintendo and actually had a hand in developing it and know the specs and ins and outs of it, you have no right to say about what its 'most likely' outcome is, nobody does. You have nothing to base any of this off of, and even if you did how would ANYBODY possibly know how a system's future could be when it could have any outcome. 

Truly the only thing uncertain is how well it will sell. 

Also feel free to post what I got wrong. We can come back in a year or so and see who got more right.

bigtakilla said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I appreciate all the time that went into this post!

One thing: I guess I don't see the hate for the switch name. It's short and describes the raison d'etre of the device. Certainly a lot better than WiiU or Xbox One.

It's just a little awkward to say "hey man, gettin on the switch later?". As I even said in the post, it is a non issue, but it is also a bad name.

Maybe they'll say "wanna switch on?"

Veknoid_Outcast said:
bigtakilla said:

Maybe they'll say "wanna switch on?"

I actually laughed out loud on that one