By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4Pro Can Run At 8.4tf (Eurogamer)

"One of the features appearing for the first time is the handling of 16-bit variables - it's possible to perform two 16-bit operations at a time instead of one 32-bit operation," he says, confirming what we learned during our visit to VooFoo Studios to check out Mantis Burn Racing. "In other words, at full floats, we have 4.2 teraflops. With half-floats, it's now double that, which is to say, 8.4 teraflops in 16-bit computation. This has the potential to radically increase performance."

More information here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-inside-playstation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
But it has to have some drawback, it can't go magically from 4.2 to 8.4.
What does those half and full floats mean?

Yeah need more info on this before giving an opinion. 

So its more powerfull runs better than than 4.2 Teraflops would suggest.... *if* games have code that can make use of it for certain tasks ? Cool.

BraLoD said:

From my understanding, which is limited (an understatement), half the floatpoints is less accurate and needs to be allocated to tasks that don't require such accuracy. Een after I've typed that I don't understand it ...

The PS5 Exists. 

BraLoD said:

Think of like this.

Some tasks (most of them) will require Full floating operations to do....  so the resources the take up, is full Floats.

Some tasks (if coded to take advantage of it) dont require a full floating op.... so if you code for it, its half as demanding on the PS4pro.

Basically if you code for it, the PS4pro will seem more powerfull than 4.2 teraflops.

Around the Network

Oh! The magic of dividing by two and than multpling again.

BraLoD said:
GribbleGrunger said:

From my understanding, which is limited (an understatement), half the floatpoints is less accurate and needs to be allocated to tasks that don't require such accuracy. Een after I've typed that I don't understand it ...

Neither did I, lol.
But I don't think it'll make it double capable as going from 4.2 to 8.4 makes it sound like.
It definitely have some drawback, and we have to know the extent of it on games to see if there are even any benefits or not, and if there is, if they are marginal or closer to what this doubling the flops makes it appear.

Right now, I don't even know if it's good news or not XD

Its limited how many tasks you can have running that way.

So it ll vary depending on the game, and how smart the guys that code are at takeing advantage of such a thing.

I understand completely what it means, but I'm not going to share it with you plebs

BraLoD said:
JRPGfan said:

Think of like this.

Some tasks (most of them) will require Full floating operations to do....  so the resources the take up, is full Floats.

Some tasks (if coded to take advantage of it) dont require a full floating op.... so if you code for it, its half as demanding on the PS4pro.

Basically if you code for it, the PS4pro will seem more powerfull than 4.2 teraflops.

So if the coding doesn't require full floats, only half, they pass to have double the amount of something (power, speed, I don't know what it could be) to work it, as they can make one float do two things on the same time? Something like that.

Well, gotta know what the real benefits it can have with this now.

The benfit is its more powerfull than 4.2 Teraflops suggests, if you code for it that way.

That means better looking/running games, if you as a programmer take the time to optimise for the PS4pro.

It comes down to how many resources it takes to do tasks, if your codeing smart, it uses less resources to do tasks, so in turn your game can do more than it otherwise would be able to.

Dark_Feanor said:
Oh! The magic of dividing by two and than multpling again.

Oh, the magic of dividing by two, multiplying again and making it work because you're actually a hardware manufacturer.

The PS5 Exists.