By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Talk about the NX docking station

Captain_Yuri said:
Welp, according to Nintendo themselves:

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

I think that settles it... No additional GPU and etc inside it...

That is...bad. Real bad. And a real missed opportunity, at that. Nvidia itself makes GPU's that sip power while being quite powerful - at the time of finalizing specs, they could already have access to something quite nice such as a GTX 960m.

It's not gonna get even the XBO if they value battery life at all - there is simply no mobile SOC for that.

Around the Network
Xen said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Welp, according to Nintendo themselves:

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

I think that settles it... No additional GPU and etc inside it...

That is...bad. Real bad. And a real missed opportunity, at that. Nvidia itself makes GPU's that sip power while being quite powerful - at the time of finalizing specs, they could already have access to something quite nice such as a GTX 960m.

It's not gonna get even the XBO if they value battery life at all - there is simply no mobile SOC for that.

I think its best to really think of it as a handheld that connects to a TV rather than it being a hybrid or a console that turns into a handheld. Because if we think about it from a handheld prespective, this is the most powerful handheld with one of the biggest leaps we have seen in terms of performance. But if we think of it has a console, performance wise, its not going to be very impressive. At the end of the day, I think the devs that were making games for both the Vita and 3ds will come to this one and that is whats really important. But don't think that it will all of a sudden have all the western third parties on board.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It better be another gpu/cpu.

Mystro-Sama said:

It isn't:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Mystro-Sama said:

It isn't:

Ah fuck... not only is that disappointing but the screen is also LCD?... No LED or OLED? :/

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Xen said:

I think its best to really think of it as a handheld that connects to a TV rather than it being a hybrid or a console that turns into a handheld. Because if we think about it from a handheld prespective, this is the most powerful handheld with one of the biggest leaps we have seen in terms of performance. But if we think of it has a console, performance wise, its not going to be very impressive. At the end of the day, I think the devs that were making games for both the Vita and 3ds will come to this one and that is whats really important. But don't think that it will all of a sudden have all the western third parties on board.

Its a real  interesting case - the name itself tells you that the dock will be included with every console, but its also obvious, there will be tons of (3DS) people who have 0 interest in the TV option. would Nintendo make a cost cutting, contradictory/ separate sku with no switching?  The Nintendo Which (do you prefer) lol

Mystro-Sama said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It isn't:

Ah fuck... not only is that disappointing but the screen is also LCD?... No LED or OLED? :/

I think it will be IPS so it will be above normal LCD but below Oled. Nintendo doesn't seem like a company that would go OLED, I just can't see it T_T

But IPS is the next best thing so... Hopefully, it will at least be IPS

Captain_Yuri said:
Xen said:

Nintendo itself says it's a home console first (even if they presented it as a mobile :D ).

It's a pity and a missed opportunity. The dedicated handheld market, even if Nintendo's strength, has shrunk, and is shrinking, anywhere but in Japan. Home consoles however, are quite healthy. The only advantage this approach has is less droughts in games  - which, thanks to more ample power were never a problem for consoles such as XBO/PS4 - in fact, consistently, you gotta pick your games so you have time for them. Power parity with them would bring at least SOME games to the plate.

How many people are gonna lug around this big and fragile thing with them? I will venture a guess: not many. This works much better for the home, and it misses serving that market by having hardware that will be anemic, even when compared to XBO/PS4.

It's sad, but it's exactly what I expected from Nintendo: their own niche thing.

Xen said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Nintendo itself says it's a home console first (even if they presented it as a mobile :D ).

It's a pity and a missed opportunity. The dedicated handheld market, even if Nintendo's strength, has shrunk, and is shrinking, anywhere but in Japan. Home consoles however, are quite healthy. The only advantage this approach has is less droughts in games  - which, thanks to more ample power were never a problem for consoles such as XBO/PS4 - in fact, consistently, you gotta pick your games so you have time for them. Power parity with them would bring at least SOME games to the plate.

How many people are gonna lug around this big and fragile thing with them? I will venture a guess: not many. This works much better for the home, and it misses serving that market by having hardware that will be anemic, even when compared to XBO/PS4.

It's sad, but it's exactly what I expected from Nintendo: their own niche thing.

Yea but dedicated consoles isn't Nintendo's strength. Their strength is in their handhelds which have sold quite well. The 3ds launched with it being priced too high with a 3d thing that didn't work very well. So hopefully, Nintendo has learnt their lesson with the NX and will price it wisely. The great thing about making a handheld is the devs in Japan seems to like them a lot because handhelds sell well in their home country. But if Nintendo went with another console and western developers doesn't make games for it, then they would be screwed because then they wouldn't get support from either.

So at this point, I think they made a good choice if it came down between the two. At least this way, they will get plenty of japanese game support as well as themselves instead of the other route of where they hope for western third party support. We will see how it turns out in the end.

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

You have support for evre external memory, you really don't need space for HDD in Dock. That doesn't mean bad design buy any mean.

Iam 100% sure you cant put HDD in Dock.

Having something inside is better than having an additional box outside, if there is no space for internal hdd, then yeah I view that as bad design.

Nintendo always think about smallest possible form factor, I really don't think they design Switch like that that has space for HDD specifically. You relly dont need to expect something like that.