By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Talk about the NX docking station

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

I meant internal in dock, external would be outside of dock. It doesn't make at all sense because it's Nintendo, they dont care about HDDs at all, they will not make space in dock for HDD because in reality only small number of people would buy HDD for Switch.

We're in an age when games are 50gb+. If Nintendo wants to support third party dlc/patches and full digital game releases they will support HDD, and if the dock cannot house a HDD then they really missed out.

"Not caring about HDD's" is not an excuse for bad design.

You have support for evre external memory, you really don't need space for HDD in Dock. That doesn't mean bad design buy any mean.

Iam 100% sure you cant put HDD in Dock.

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:
Keep in mind the Microsoft Book is powered by Nvidia, and that is a dual gpu set up: integrated (tablet) and discreet (keyboard/dock). http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47928/surface-book-dual-gpu-setup-custom-1gb-gddr5-maxwell/index.html

Remains to be seen if the Switch is more than just a fancy docking station.

And what's the price on those again?

Miyamotoo said:

You have support for evre external memory, you really don't need space for HDD in Dock. That doesn't mean bad design buy any mean.

Iam 100% sure you cant put HDD in Dock.

Having something inside is better than having an additional box outside, if there is no space for internal hdd, then yeah I view that as bad design.

se7en7thre3 said:
Keep in mind the Microsoft Book is powered by Nvidia, and that is a dual gpu set up: integrated (tablet) and discreet (keyboard/dock). http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47928/surface-book-dual-gpu-setup-custom-1gb-gddr5-maxwell/index.html

And the cheapest sku of that range currently costs over $1700. Dont raise your hopes for nothing. It's simply not cost effective to make a standalone device in a tablet form factor then still put processing hardware in a dock station all for a sub $400 price point. And for its size it's not even a fancy docking station. It's a very efficient one. 

Barkley said:

So the Switch won't support digital games??? What about game patches?

If you can't have a HDD say goodbye to third party support, hell even Digital Nintendo Titles. There are games on PS4 with over 50gb of additional content and patches. I don't think Nintendo will go backwards after the WiiU and not allow you to use HDD's.

All they really have to do is allow you plug in an SD card. But even at that  I doubt it. Using carts gives them certain benefits. Well one benefit. Very fast read times which for its rumoured 4GB of unified memory would mean very fast load times for games. Using any form of internal or external HDD (unless it's an SSD) will mess all that up cause the read speeds off the cart will be faster than any HDD on the market. It's currently rumoured to be around 400MB/s. 

bigtakilla said:
se7en7thre3 said:

And what's the price on those again?

lol. my point exactly. 

Intrinsic said:

Barkley said:

So the Switch won't support digital games??? What about game patches?

If you can't have a HDD say goodbye to third party support, hell even Digital Nintendo Titles. There are games on PS4 with over 50gb of additional content and patches. I don't think Nintendo will go backwards after the WiiU and not allow you to use HDD's.

All they really have to do is allow you plug in an SD card. But even at that  I doubt it. Using carts gives them certain benefits. Well one benefit. Very fast read times which for its rumoured 4GB of unified memory would mean very fast load times for games. Using any form of internal or external HDD (unless it's an SSD) will mess all that up cause the read speeds off the cart will be faster than any HDD on the market. It's currently rumoured to be around 400MB/s. 

The speed of carts is irrelevant, there are games with post-launch dlc/updates measuring in at over 50gb.

Around the Network

It has to contain:
- power supply
- tech to upscale image for tv
- tech to recharge console and likely joy-cons
- maybe storage capacity to streamline updates? this way it preloads the updates, you dock device and bam they sync? (not HDD)

numberwang said:

What do you think it contains? It seems quite large, so more than just a charger? What is the bulky back hump?

Extra GPU inside?

Cooling fan inside for boost mode?

Secret sauce?

Now we are plaing with power?

Large image

https://1.f.ix.de/imgs/71/1/9/1/2/2/5/5/switch_2-8ae2048786a3559a.jpg

No extra GPU. Dual GPU, specially assymetric, is hard to develop for. I would guess that the dock has a power source and fans for active cooling. When detached, NX probably uses 15 to 20 W tops (thermal and battery limits). When docked, it gets extra cooling and infinite battery, so it probably increases its footprint. X1S uses 70 W, but it has an HDD, so I guess NX can try to get a bit closer to it.

NX is said to use Pascal, so it is a Tegra X2 (Parker) device. Tegra X1 reachs 750 Gflops using 20 W. I could suppose that it could ramp up to at least 1 Tflop, putting it close to X1.

Obs.: I hate to use flops to compare GPUs. It's like saying that a car with a 3000 cc engine is faster than one with a 2500cc one.

se7en7thre3 said:

Oh, I get it. Like notebooks with a Intel and Nvidia GPU that are able to change between them, using only one each time. So it would use the Tegra X2 one when mobile and a Pascal dedicated GU when dockes.

However, mind that this is an expensive design, since the dock would have to pack a pascal GPU like a GTX 1050, plus the costs of the SoC.

Switch would also need a very fast connector to plug in the dock. This would also mean no shared memory, which is different to what ARM SoCs do. I don't know how the cache memories would work. GPUs are quite complex, if they did something like that I would be eager to see a tech breakdown by DF.

Some ppl are funny man... I know how much a MS Book costs ffs lol, just pointing out the technical possibility.

Anywho, Lara Kate ashley olsen or whoever, that corroborated Euromily is saying dock will have additional processing tech.

" RE: dock, what I've heard is additional processing (lacking specifics atm) for when docked. However, would expect a few secs to switch."

Of course that doesn't mean fully blown desktop GPU out the gate. But with Nvidia's prowess, SCD patent, etc the support will definitely be there. Hopefully, the beginning of a great relationship between Nvidia and Nintendo.

Welp, according to Nintendo themselves:

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

I think that settles it... No additional GPU and etc inside it...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850