By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One: The best-selling console in America (Last 3 NPDs)

pokoko said:
I wish we didn't need to have this conversation so often.

"Best Selling" is present tense. It means right now. It's really that simple. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Microsoft using "Best Selling in the US" in an advertisement at this time. If Sony beats them in an upcoming NPD then that'll have to stop. Also nothing wrong with Sony using "Best Selling in the World". Same exact thing.

It's only when you expand the criteria--for example, "Best Selling of All Time"--that they would be wrong.

People need to stop complaining about this. It's not false advertising and it's not inherently misleading.

They are trying so hard though. It's funny reading it. I understood completely while a couple of others only want it to say what it's not.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

I wanna smack that kid.

DonFerrari said:

Sorry if I have no problem with my pressure and can take salt.

Nope, people assume that the movie is highest grossing in all time if it says it broke records or similar things. As far as I know on Movies they talk about the biggest opening week on the Fiscal Year so there is context. And for consoles when someone says "highest selling" they mean cumulative not on that weekend (and guess what, MS is doing that for the 3 months not for that day or weekend) so you are twisting the context to fit what you want, and even accuse others of being emotional.

I'm glad you are happy that they are hammering Sony, the very humble MS that need people defending them from bully Sony.

No, movie commercials constantly talk about what is currently the highest grossing. MS is using a monthly tally, movies use weekly or weekend. Maybe sometimes even daily. No one accuses them of false advertising or confuses it with all time highest grossing totals, LOL.

Again, common sense and context. It helps.

LudicrousSpeed said:

I would disagree because we have seen both Sony and MS do it. And maybe even Nintendo last gen, idk. Also, what else came out at the same time is irrelevant. The Xbone S is currently the best selling console in the US, that's factual, and that's what MS said.

The NFL analogy doesn't really work because you're talking about a direct contest with a set end and one goal: more points. It would be more like the Redskins jumped out to a 28-0 lead and the Eagles tweeted about 10 straight points. Sure, the score is still 28-10, but it's PR. And even then the official end time of the game makes it a weak analogy by me.

I agree it's funny, all of these companies can spin up doozies.

Fair enough, but the straight points is what I meant. The Eagles scored 6 straight points in the 4th quarter and ended up losing. Sorry, I'm an NFL nut, and I tend to remember Aaron Greenberg specifically comparing the console race to sports, with his comments of "pre-season" and what not. I can understand how it's not the best analogy because of that official cut off point, but yeah, I just find MS's PR department particularly skilled at making funny comments that are technically true but obfuscate most of the truth, while Sony's are usually the more blunt and boring "we sold a lot" type of comments :)

LivingMetal said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I wanna smack that kid.

Yeah, I'd have deliberately not thrown it to him. Lessons need to be learned.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
pokoko said:

"Best Selling" is present tense. It means right now. It's really that simple. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Microsoft using "Best Selling in the US" in an advertisement at this time. If Sony beats them in an upcoming NPD then that'll have to stop. Also nothing wrong with Sony using "Best Selling in the World". Same exact thing.

It's only when you expand the criteria--for example, "Best Selling of All Time"--that they would be wrong.

People need to stop complaining about this. It's not false advertising and it's not inherently misleading.

didn't you know anything good MS does have to be scrutinize beyond belief here? Not sure why you are surprise by this.  There is nothing wrong with the Ad for now. X1 is the best selling right now according to npd.

Praise the One.

SweetTalia said:
pokoko said:

didn't you know anything good MS does have to be scrutinize beyond belief here? Not sure why you are surprise by this.  There is nothing wrong with the Ad for now. X1 is the best selling right now according to npd.

Uh, yeah, except both sides do this.  Some Xbox fans were doing the exact same thing not long ago.  I think it has more to do with some people just not understanding that "best selling" is not the same thing as "best selling of all time".

Of course. Because if any of the 3 console manufacturers were going to engage in advertising that could be construed as something ranging from "dubious claim with high-velocity spin", to "blatant false advertising", it would be Microsoft. Because of course it would be.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Seventizz said:
I can't see the ps pro beating the S in North America. It might take November, but that should be it. As usual, Sony is abandoning yet another holiday in terms of a blockbuster and there's nothing enticing about the brand presently.

Meanwhile, there's Gears, Forza, BC, HD BluRay, and a ton of excitement. Sony is just...there.

Err.. no.. just no. The ps4 pro costs the same yet it's twice as powerful and actually does 4k games. So why the hell would anyone pick a Xbox One S over it, especially wirh the whole VR hype going on? 

Pretty sure Vasto is getting payed to advertise here. Very little thought went into the OP of this thread

-Moderated by axum

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian