By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One: The best-selling console in America (Last 3 NPDs)

So does the ps4 do HDR or not?

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Ariakon said:

The difference between saying the no.1 movie in America is that A:) that's not typically how video game companies do it, and B:) there's another movie that released at the same time that has grossed more than it, and that has outgrossed it for 26 out of 34 months. 

There's nothing wrong with it, technically, it's just funny. It would be like the Eagles celebrating that they "won" the 4th quarter this weekend even though the Redskins ended up beating them. 

Don't worry I get that saying such statements is just silly to begin with. I just didn't like the notion that Sony would never do such a thing, when they have done similar things, and that thread went way different than this thread. Video Games companies market strangely, and they do spin. Every single one of them has done spin (this is a spin), if you been on this site long enough to see NPD threads alone namely for last generation, you would have seen crazy amounts of spin for all three. 

I agree about the spin, but I don't know if that particular spin is comparable. Video game sales do typically go by generation, so saying the best-selling console often implies that you're the best selling console of that generation. I think that's where MS is tweaking so many nerves right now, as it's basing the best-selling claim on a monthly basis, instead of the generational basis that most people associate with these type of claims. 

In the end, though, you're right, all companies spin, it's just that MS has gotten particularly crafty about it with the Xbox One. 

OP should apply for a job at Marketing for Microsoft, as that's pretty much all they seem to do on this site anyway xD

Ariakon said:

The difference between saying the no.1 movie in America is that A:) that's not typically how video game companies do it, and B:) there's another movie that released at the same time that has grossed more than it, and that has outgrossed it for 26 out of 34 months. 

There's nothing wrong with it, technically, it's just funny. It would be like the Eagles celebrating that they "won" the 4th quarter this weekend even though the Redskins ended up beating them. 

I would disagree because we have seen both Sony and MS do it. And maybe even Nintendo last gen, idk. Also, what else came out at the same time is irrelevant. The Xbone S is currently the best selling console in the US, that's factual, and that's what MS said.

The NFL analogy doesn't really work because you're talking about a direct contest with a set end and one goal: more points. It would be more like the Redskins jumped out to a 28-0 lead and the Eagles tweeted about 10 straight points. Sure, the score is still 28-10, but it's PR. And even then the official end time of the game makes it a weak analogy by me.

I agree it's funny, all of these companies can spin up doozies.

Lrdfancypants said:

It does.

The ad is saying the only console that does HDR and UHD BR.

Around the Network

The PS5 Exists. 

Lrdfancypants said:

Yes it also supports 4k streaming, Its just misleading Advertising by Microsoft

Acevil said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep... because when any car company says they car is the best selling of it's category we won't assume it's for that year or between direct competitors... we will say "but on 1975 this model sold more than your car". Or "fatest 1.0 compact car" and someone will say "but mine with twinturbo is 30mph faster".

People trying to compare the misleading of MS with Sony announcements are really apologists.

I am not apologize for microsoft as much as I hate the logic being presented here, because guess what I was the first post to point out what sony meant when this thread was made for sony. If you call out microsoft for this, you call out sony for this. Thats my gripe. 

So your logic is: so when movies say best selling movie, they mean that week/weekend correct? However other movies were out before that they were best selling. So why cannot Microsoft say they are the best selling console in America. If it obviously means currently. 

Have I said you are apologizing for MS? You can call out Sony, but being the best selling console of their gen and saying "best selling console" is completely different than saying it on broad terms when meaning strict ones... one of them isn't a real spin and I'm sure you can perceive it.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep... because when any car company says they car is the best selling of it's category we won't assume it's for that year or between direct competitors... we will say "but on 1975 this model sold more than your car". Or "fatest 1.0 compact car" and someone will say "but mine with twinturbo is 30mph faster".

People trying to compare the misleading of MS with Sony announcements are really apologists.

Wow, apologists. So much salt.

I mean, when a movie ad pops up and it says "THE NUMBER #1 MOVIE IN AMERICA!!!" are people supposed to assume it is literally the highest grossing US movie of all time? Or do they apply some common sense and context, and think it's currently #1 in theaters? Because I know I go to the second option. Apparently a whole slew of people in this thread do not go for the logical option and instead react emotionally.

Also, wow. That was a pretty great ad. I have to hand it to MS marketing, with the Xbone S they have really done a good job turning around the perception of the console. Also glad to see them still hammering Sony about no UHD disc support in PS4 Slim or Pro. Such a fucking stupid decision.

Sorry if I have no problem with my pressure and can take salt.

Nope, people assume that the movie is highest grossing in all time if it says it broke records or similar things. As far as I know on Movies they talk about the biggest opening week on the Fiscal Year so there is context. And for consoles when someone says "highest selling" they mean cumulative not on that weekend (and guess what, MS is doing that for the 3 months not for that day or weekend) so you are twisting the context to fit what you want, and even accuse others of being emotional.

I'm glad you are happy that they are hammering Sony, the very humble MS that need people defending them from bully Sony.

Acevil said:
Ariakon said:

Don't worry I get that saying such statements is just silly to begin with. I just didn't like the notion that Sony would never do such a thing, when they have done similar things, and that thread went way different than this thread. Video Games companies market strangely, and they do spin. Every single one of them has done spin (this is a spin), if you been on this site long enough to see NPD threads alone namely for last generation, you would have seen crazy amounts of spin for all three. 

No one said Sony would never do it. We are just pointing out that MS have been doing it a lot. And you can't compare the three and say they spin on the same level, sorry but no. The company that goes from saying only holidays matters, to reporting engagement on Live instead of sales and now comes to say they are the best selling because they finally managed to sell for 3 months more than Sony (what are they going to say when Sony pass they again on NPD?), It's on a completely different level.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
Lrdfancypants said:

It does.

The ad is saying the only console that does HDR and UHD BR.

Next advert will be "The only console with Halo and GTA!" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I wish we didn't need to have this conversation so often.

"Best Selling" is present tense. It means right now. It's really that simple. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Microsoft using "Best Selling in the US" in an advertisement at this time. If Sony beats them in an upcoming NPD then that'll have to stop. Also nothing wrong with Sony using "Best Selling in the World". Same exact thing.

It's only when you expand the criteria--for example, "Best Selling of All Time"--that they would be wrong.

People need to stop complaining about this. It's not false advertising and it's not inherently misleading.