By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No matter what 3rd party support NX has - people will make the worst of it

It probably WON'T sell well, relatively speaking. This isn't a candy-coated, unicorns-and-rainbows website, it's a website for real-world sales results. There are plenty of Nintendo-only forums where you can likely go for that.

However, so what if it doesn't sell very well? You can only climb out of a well one handhold at a time. IF Nintendo wanted to compete with Sony and Microsoft then they'd have to work their way up and build a consumer base that wants to play third-party games. It won't happen overnight, even if Nintendo would actually come off some money.

If you disagree then form an argument for why you think an opinion is wrong. Telling people they can only say positive things does not fit the premise of these forums.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

... or not? I mean this IS a good topic for discussion. Im pretty certain most people would love the console if you could play Dark Souls, Witcher and Mario Kart in it.

The initial WiiU launch tried to make the same appeal. Get the BLOPS2, AC3,  along with upcoming Nintendo games here! And it almost worked until WiiU utterly collapsed the following spring.

The NX has task of overcoming the bad precendent GC, Wii, and WiiU created of Nintendo home consoles. Nintendo needs at least a year of extraordinary exclusives and extremely 3rd party support to start to break that cycle. Nintendo, publishers, and fans can carry it there - but not without a lot of haters and doubters along the way.

3rd party support at launch - even if it is something stellar like FF15 -- won't make as big of impression as something big a year or more later like Cyberpunk 2077.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Well... As a Nintendo defender you at least get to have fun discussions. While other people try to argue whether your otherwise identical game is running at 1070p or 1080p, or that having a 4k BluRay player built in is important, you can talk about the merits of a choice like GTA or Zelda.

Cerebralbore101 said:
With any luck the NX will have the combined library power of the 3DS and Wii U. That alone will be enough exclusives to put the other platforms to shame. Third party support or not. There are roughly four high quality games coming out for the 3DS per year. The Wii U got about three high quality games a year. If Nintendo consolidates its efforts to a single console then they should be capable of putting out 7-8 high quality games a year. That's 21 must own games in three years. Currently my PS4 collection is sitting at 18 must own games.

Perhaps you should include that it would be to you. Because customers of X1 and PS4 seems pretty satisfied with the games the have. And considering the speed of sales of PS4 and SW sales of both platforms they seem to be buying much more than 3DS and Wii U... so who should be in shame?

fleischr said:
DonFerrari said:
Yep... all people that said the Wii or Wii U version of a multiplat game sold worse than on the rivals is lying. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't have a problem with that. It's not a lie. But such past failure shouldn't preclude a new platform from having success.

You may say it shouldn't, but we know it most probably will. Unless Nintendo manages to do something big to attract 3rd parties and gamers that buy those games alike it won't change.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well, it depends on the install base the thing has. How fast Nintendo can sell it. Let´s assume they can reach 5-7 million in 2017, then a Red Dead 2 could do half a million or even a million on the console.
If the NX is a moderate sucess, getting another 5-7 million on 2018, then it will probably get some third parties regularly.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network

At the end of the day NX might not get big profile games (third party or not). Red Dead is huge and is on level of GTA. Plus since last 20+ years no Nintendo Home console sold third party games well. People talk (logical or shit post) by history. And we can't blame them.

pokoko said:

However, so what if it doesn't sell very well? You can only climb out of a well one handhold at a time. IF Nintendo wanted to compete with Sony and Microsoft then they'd have to work their way up and build a consumer base that wants to play third-party games. It won't happen overnight, even if Nintendo would actually come off some money.

If you disagree then form an argument for why you think an opinion is wrong. Telling people they can only say positive things does not fit the premise of these forums.

The point I'm making is that NX could have a very good launch, the almost exact same stable of 3rd party games as X1/PS4 for months to come, and we'd still hear these tired arguments. 

Serious question: How successful does the NX have to be and for how long before we stop doubting it?

IMO The truth is - if by some miracle NX totally outpaced the PS4 and X1 for a year or more, many would still write it off.

Ill just buy it, play the great Nintendo and whatever second and third party games it gets and maybe bitch a little once in a while when theres nothing new to play or Nintendo does something stupid. Same old.

Soundwave said:
I think if Nintendo can manage to get Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Madden NFL, FIFA, NHL (pretty please?), Star Wars, Ubi Soft stuff, and Call of Duty that would be pretty good on top of the standard 3DS type stuff that would be pretty good, but even that is probably asking for a bit too much, lol.

Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Revolver, stuff like that probably isn't happening. I think getting EA on board (even if they aren't enthusiastic) is important because they have exclusive rights to things like the FIFA and NFL and Star Wars licenses. If Nintendo doesn't get them they are effectively locked out of those IP and there are plenty of kids/family audience types that love those games so not having those would hurt Nintendo.

So here's my conspiracy- Nintendo could have pulled off a 2016 launch, but EA wouldn't have been there ready for them. Even if EA wanted to be there, they couldn't get the manpower to make it happen.

To avoid the ugly reception and impression that NX would never get these titles - they delayed NX a few months so they could eventually line up to EA's 2017 cycle of these titles.

fleischr said:
DonFerrari said:
Yep... all people that said the Wii or Wii U version of a multiplat game sold worse than on the rivals is lying. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't have a problem with that. It's not a lie. But such past failure shouldn't preclude a new platform from having success.

What steps have Nintendo taken to give you any confidence that this time will be different?