By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Seventh Annual 50 Greatest Games Event! Sign Up to Join the Fun!

I'm in......

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Hey Blue, would you combine Tetris (Game Boy) and Tetris DX (Game Box Color)?

Yeah I will combine those two, seem similar enough to still be classified as the "same" game.

Seems weird to not see Smeags' name on this thread.

Anyway, sign me up.

VAMatt said:
So that I get a general sense of how this is supposed to work....

Are we supposed to be ranking games in order of "best" or "had the most impact on my life"? I know that both are subjective, but I'd like to understand the intent of this event.

I've done this for the last few years and found it easiest to score games on 4 specific criteria and then rank by the average. This balances out what you consider "best" in terms of pure game mechanics/design vs personal impact for you.

I ranked (0-10) based on:

1. Critical score (if I were to review it) when the game was released

2. Critical score when played today (how well has it aged)

3. Personal impact/nostalgia

4. Time spent playing (personal time played, not the length of a single playthrough or time to get to highest level)

This also takes into account games that may have been great at the time of release and hold nostalgic value with the evolution of gameplay and controls over time (which really helps balance out some of the old PS1 era games which have aged particularly poorly but hold a lot of nostalgic value for me personally).

Anyway, I'm sure you can come up with your own personalised way of ranking, but the first two years of building these lists I found I was constantly changing my list and was never fully happy with the order. This sort of scoring system really helped me.  

Leadified said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Hey Blue, would you combine Tetris (Game Boy) and Tetris DX (Game Box Color)?

Yeah I will combine those two, seem similar enough to still be classified as the "same" game.

Cool, thanks! That will free up a slot :)

Around the Network

Sign me up.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Sign me up, please! Missed last year's, so I should have a bunch of changes from last time I participated...

Hmm

De-sticking the thread attracted attention, but this has been too quiet in the last days...

Entropio said:
De-sticking the thread attracted attention, but this has been too quiet in the last days...

It's probably in vain to bump the thread now with the US election going on but we'll see how the next few days go.

Completely forgot about this. 😝
Sign me up!