By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captivated by XCX all over again

Mike321 said:
I wanted to play it again but I had to delete all the data packs and I'm not sure if it's going to run smoothly without them.

Thanks for this comment.

It made me look extra hard for any way to download anything and finally I found the packs in the e-store. What a difference!

Yes. I did not know this and until now I have played the game only from DVD, with severe pop-in especially in NLA.

So thanks again :)

Around the Network

I am going to replay it soon, my first playthrough in any RPG is not my final one, it's one of my favs this generation, top 5 most fav

Asriel said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah it's definitely not a AAA game in terms of budget, and one could almost say it reaches too far and stretches its resources a bit thin, but I have to admire the sheer balls they had, trying to make a game of this scope and complexity on low end hardware with a mid-tier budget.

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The fact Monolith Soft achieved as much as they did, with such a steady technical performance, with tough limits to their budget, manpower and the technology they were working with, is incredible. Like Chronicles with the Wii, X pushes the host hardware to its limits and Monolith Soft deserve a lot of praise for that. The performance is far smoother than open world games on comparable systems. X feels like the product of another age, when your ambition didn't need to be limited by whatever your potential sales were. 

That's the thing, yeah, they must have known when they were making it that it would be lucky to sell over a million copies, but they shot for the stars anyway. I really respect that, especially when so many other first party titles with far more sales potential don't have a tenth the ambition that XCX has.

curl-6 said:
Asriel said:

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. The fact Monolith Soft achieved as much as they did, with such a steady technical performance, with tough limits to their budget, manpower and the technology they were working with, is incredible. Like Chronicles with the Wii, X pushes the host hardware to its limits and Monolith Soft deserve a lot of praise for that. The performance is far smoother than open world games on comparable systems. X feels like the product of another age, when your ambition didn't need to be limited by whatever your potential sales were. 

That's the thing, yeah, they must have known when they were making it that it would be lucky to sell over a million copies, but they shot for the stars anyway. I really respect that, especially when so many other first party titles with far more sales potential don't have a tenth the ambition that XCX has.

The ambition of XCX and the sheer continued existence of Fatal Frame is a reason why I respect Nintendo in a lot of areas despite some of their dumb moves in other areas.  Because it shows that they *care* about what they make.  There's no other reason - none whatsoever - for this.  Especially Fatal Frame, I doubt that franchise has made anyone any money in ages so the fact they even made a fifth game shows that they did it purely because it deserved to have a chance.  And that's something you just don't see much of these days.  That and honesty in trailers.  Say what you want about the games they show, at least they never *lie* to you (*cough*Gearbox*cough*).