By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - World Atheism will never happen. Why you can not kill God.

Tagged games:

Will worldwide atheism ever happen?

No, faith is part of being human. 79 49.07%

Yes, soon enough all men will be atheists. 82 50.93%

Total:161
WagnerPaiva said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
You can't kill that which does not exist....

You sure can, you can kill a idea, a theory, a character, it is possible. You just take it out of people´s mind.

When the SJW and NWO society gets very near to anihilate faith, it will once again be reborn because there is something inside the human being that makes him understand that there is more than meets the eye in existence.

Just like The Book of Eli, I do believe politicians and the elite will push more and more to educate the new generations into atheism, but I think it will be useless.

If anything, what will happen is a more pure faith, when people discover God by themselves, without the organized religion (buildings and systems) assistance.

I always picture a scenario where a young woman finds a old King James Version bible in the attic and starts to read by herself, and then finds faith once again.

You still speak of the survival of faith as if it would give it any kind of legitimacy. Actually it is not possible to kill an idea or ideology. There will always be people believing some kind of shit.

There are still people in greece who believe in ancient greek gods. There are still people worshipping Hitler despite our best efforts to eradicate that ideology.

That has nothing to do with what they belief in being real. It's just human nature to replace their lack of understanding and knowledge with beliefs. So faith in some kind of god will always exist, as well as doom sayers and conspiracy theories.

While eradicating all illogical thought would be nice it's not feasable. So what people now try to do is suppressing it to a point where it's not harmful to society anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

You still speak of the survival of faith as if it would give it any kind of legitimacy. Actually it is not possible to kill an idea or ideology. There will always be people believing some kind of shit.

There are still people in greece who believe in ancient greek gods. There are still people worshipping Hitler despite our best efforts to eradicate that ideology.

That has nothing to do with what they belief in being real. It's just human nature to replace their lack of understanding and knowledge with beliefs. So faith in some kind of god will always exist, as well as doom sayers and conspiracy theories.

While eradicating all illogical thought would be nice it's not feasable. So what people now try to do is suppressing it to a point where it's not harmful to society anymore.

I think the harm to the society is society itself. Even if we all became Sodom and Gomorrah and had a total libertarian society, there would still be evil, violence and problems.

Because that is what mankind has inside themselves. Religion dos not make us evil, we are evil without it and we are evil with it.

I know it is just distopia expeculation, as we will not live to see radical changes in the status quo, at least I do not think.

But I really believe that the South Park episode Go God Go says a lot of truth about what would happen in a faithless world: violence will still exist.

I do know I can´t prove it, how could I? Maybe if I had a Futurama "What if machine" we could end this dispute, but I don´t. 

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Faith is human nature because it is an inherit defense mechanism against overloading brains. Faith is very low on energy since it doesn't not require any thought to process while skepticism takes several processing cycles in the brain consuming a lot of energy. Every organism strives to gain as much as possible while exerting as little as possible energy to do so.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

WagnerPaiva said:
vivster said:

I think the harm to the society is society itself. Even if we all became Sodom and Gomorrah and had a total libertarian society, there would still be evil, violence and problems.

Because that is what mankind has inside themselves. Religion dos not make us evil, we are evil without it and we are evil with it.

I know it is just distopia expeculation, as we will not live to see radical changes in the status quo, at least I do not think.

But I really believe that the South Park episode Go God Go says a lot of truth about what would happen in a faithless world: violence will still exist.

I do know I can´t prove it, how could I? Maybe if I had a Futurama "What if machine" we could end this dispute, but I don´t. 

It is absolutely true that faith does not produce evil. However it is the most powerful tool on earth to enable and legitimize evil actions. Humanity should strive to eradicate weapons of a magnitude to inflict world wide harm. Especially if it has no other use to offer.

The danger of religion is not its mere existence. It's the widespread acceptance and legitimization of it. If faith was only spread between a few million people on earth nobody would care.

vivster said:

It is absolutely true that faith does not produce evil. However it is the most powerful tool on earth to enable and legitimize evil actions. Humanity should strive to eradicate weapons of a magnitude to inflict world wide harm. Especially if it has no other use to offer.

I bet to you that this will never happen. If someday a deal is achieved to eliminate nuclear weapons, for example, there will be some foul play from one or more nations that decide to keep and hide their nukes and, after the purge, they will just dominate over everyone.

We are just too evil, I mean, not everyone is that evil, most of us just want to live in peace and get by. But, for some reason, most of the evil people try to get as much power as they can, and I guess being evil is a decent tool to gain power... =(

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
vivster said:

I bet to you that this will never happen. If someday a deal is achieved to eliminate nuclear weapons, for example, there will be some foul play from one or more nations that decide to keep and hide their nukes and, after the purge, they will just dominate over everyone.

We are just too evil, I mean, not everyone is that evil, most of us just want to live in peace and get by. But, for some reason, most of the evil people try to get as much power as they can, and I guess being evil is a decent tool to gain power... =(

That's why I said strive. What's better? 10 million tons of nuclear weapons or 100 tons? Also nuclear weapons are not easy to obtain while acquiring harmful ideology is the easiest thing in the world. I've added another statement.

The danger of religion is not its mere existence. It's the widespread acceptance  legitimization of it. If faith was only spread between a 少ない 百万 〜人 on  nobody would care.

If we reduce faith to that point it will dull its blade considerably. The good thing here is that the eradication of faith will not be violent but gradual and through understanding. that way seems a lot less evil than any actions people do that use faith as legitimization of their crimes.

vivster said:
WagnerPaiva said:

That's why I said strive. What's better? 10 million tons of nuclear weapons or 100 tons? Also nuclear weapons are not easy to obtain while acquiring harmful ideology is the easiest thing in the world. I've added another statement.

The danger of religion is not its mere existence. It's the widespread acceptance  legitimization of it. If faith was only spread between a 少ない 百万 〜人 on  nobody would care.

If we reduce faith to that point it will dull its blade considerably. The good thing here is that the eradication of faith will not be violent but gradual and through understanding. that way seems a lot less evil than any actions people do that use faith as legitimization of their crimes.

I guess you have much more faith in humanity than I have, that´s all. 

potato_hamster said:
Peh said:

Edit: Atheism is a disbelief and not a believe.

So, atheists don't believe in a god or gods rather than they do believe that God doesn't exist.

This is just false. Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity. Not the active belief there is no deity. There's a distinct difference. Athiests in general do not believe that a deity doesn't exist, they just see no reason to believe one does. It's the same way that a shaved head is a hair style, but a naturally bald head isn't.

That's what I said !?!?

Disbelief :

the inability or refusal to believe or to accept  something as true.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

deskpro2k3 said:
potato_hamster said:

You're the one claiming that Sam Harris "preaches". You might have said that you believe that atheism is a religion, but you certainly implied that you believe that is the case. Furthermore, you're still wrong about what you're using as definitions for "athiest" and "agnostic". You're incorrectly labelling an "athiest" as "someone who believes there is no god" and "agnostic" as "someone who is skeptical about whether or not a god exists".

There's no other way to say it. This is wrong. Your insult to being told that doesn't change the truth of that.

Again, (a)thiesm is the belief (or lack of belief) in a deity. (A)gnosticism is the belief (or lack of beleif) that you can know that a deity exists. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Sam Harris is an example of a very vocal gnostic athiest. The fact that you're using him as an example of what it means to be an atheist is the same as me using Fred Phelps as an example of what it means to be a christian, when we both know most athiests and christians aren't like either.

Preaching = publicly proclaim or teach (a religious message or belief). This is what Sam Harris does, and other Athiest that follows him.

Didn't I tell you not to reply? I feel like you're posting just to waste time, and read what I've bold. It is the same thing.

But atheism has no religious message or believe. So you can't preach it. As mentioned by someone else, he does a lot of debates and speeches about his profession. Be it Free Will or Morality. 

I would even go so far to say, that you can't preach atheism.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

You cannot Kill Religion, but you can kill fundamentalist. since renaissance era, people has following religion as tradition and hystorcal practice more then way of life, especially in Europe and cristianity , it also happen on Muslim world but it was happen recently. A lot of religious people becoming secular.