By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears Of War 4 Review Thread - 85 MC

yvanjean said:

Metacritic is a flawed but valuable system. I think that the mentality of gamers that anything that receive a metacritic of less then 90+ is sign of a bad game is the bigger problem. Gears of war series doesn't cater to everyone and you will always get reviewers that have no love for the gears series and will be let down.  

I think mopst of us will agree that Gears 4 campaign < Uncharted 4 campaign and Gears 4 Multiplayer < COD or Battlefield 1. But, if you take the full package the Co-op aspect and Hordes 3.0. You got a killer app for Microsoft.  It's one of the few games that might make you concider buying a Xbox One. 

No that's not the issue here, I don't think anyone thinks Gears 4 is a bad game because it scored "only" 84. But that score suggests it's worse than Gears 3 and I can't see how that would be the case since it pretty much improved everything over Gears 3. I just can't see how this lower score can be justified and you did nothing to help me when I asked you about the short comings you mentioned :P

Also I don't know why Gears and Uncharted campaigns should be compared and most definitely don't understand the comparison between 3rd person and 1st person multiplayer shooters. Do you mean to say that COD and Battlefield are more popular? Yes they most definitely are thus most would prefer them but being more popular doesn't mean ultimately better. FIFA sells millions more than PES and most would agree FIFA > PES but I don't think you can say FIFA is the better football game.

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:

yvanjean said:

Metacritic is a flawed but valuable system. I think that the mentality of gamers that anything that receive a metacritic of less then 90+ is sign of a bad game is the bigger problem. Gears of war series doesn't cater to everyone and you will always get reviewers that have no love for the gears series and will be let down.  

I think mopst of us will agree that Gears 4 campaign < Uncharted 4 campaign and Gears 4 Multiplayer < COD or Battlefield 1. But, if you take the full package the Co-op aspect and Hordes 3.0. You got a killer app for Microsoft.  It's one of the few games that might make you concider buying a Xbox One. 

No that's not the issue here, I don't think anyone thinks Gears 4 is a bad game because it scored "only" 84. But that score suggests it's worse than Gears 3 and I can't see how that would be the case since it pretty much improved everything over Gears 3. I just can't see how this lower score can be justified and you did nothing to help me when I asked you about the short comings you mentioned :P

Also I don't know why Gears and Uncharted campaigns should be compared and most definitely don't understand the comparison between 3rd person and 1st person multiplayer shooters. Do you mean to say that COD and Battlefield are more popular? Yes they most definitely are thus most would prefer them but being more popular doesn't mean ultimately better. FIFA sells millions more than PES and most would agree FIFA > PES but I don't think you can say FIFA is the better football game.

Well it's not my personal views since I would rate Gears 4 in the high 90s. Nevertheless, reviewers have complained about unskippable cut scene, chemistry between main cast compare to Gears 3, lackluster campaign & complaints that Coalition did nothing to expand on the pre-established gears formula. The reviewers are doing their review base on where the game stand in the series and as a stand alone product. When in reality this is the coalition first major release and can pretty much only improve has they go forward. 

yvanjean said:

Well it's not my personal views since I would rate Gears 4 in the high 90s. Nevertheless, reviewers have complained about unskippable cut scene, chemistry between main cast compare to Gears 3, lackluster campaign & complaints that Coalition did nothing to expand on the pre-established gears formula. The reviewers are doing their review base on where the game stand in the series and as a stand alone product. When in reality this is the coalition first major release and can pretty much only improve has they go forward. 

Ah thanks for clearing that up. You did write "But, If you look at the final product there is short coming in both the campaign and Multiplayer" it comes off as your personal view. I'm looking at the final product and don't see any major short comings though. I'd argue that Coalition added a solid list of weapons, some mechanics, improved the pacing of both story and action, made enemies terrifying again, took horde to another level etc. I just don't see why they should fix something that ain't broken, core mechanics have been great since 2006 so it only need polishing imo.

Describing the campaign a lackluster is insane but of course they have a right to their opinion. And we have a right to criticize their opinion. But yeah, 84 is a good score and most reviews are positive (and that 5/10 obvious clickbait) so there's really no need to be upset. But it should be 90+ :)

CGI-Quality said:

I'm not saying it's unfair to compare them (though, yes, it's a head-scratcher for me), but I mainly wouldn't call "winners" and "losers" based on that comparison. Both succeed at what they set out to do (which is entirely different from one another).

Edit: Tried to make this sound as little aggressive and "annoyed" as possible. ;P

Add Tomb Raider to that list. Three vastly different experiences that still appeal to similar gamers.

(and yes, I'm aware I made similar comparisons in the past. If Trump can take back his words, so can I)

yvanjean said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I think folks are justified in their frustration. Take a look at another high-profile third-person shooter: Uncharted 4. That game sits 9 points higher than Gears 4, despite an inferior campaign, inferior multiplayer and co-op options, and much less replay value. Uncharted 4 was praised for "perfect adjustments to a functional gameplay formula" while Gears is subject to deductions for being "overly familiar" and for using "Epic's foundation."

I think one of the reasons I pay less and less attention to Metacritic these days is that my tastes as a critic are far out of sync with the tastes of critics from bigger outlets. Gears might not have the opulent visuals or artistry of Uncharted, but in terms of gameplay (what really matters) it's a superior product.

To be clear: I'm not trying to start a console war here. I'm just pointing out some inconsistencies with the video game review process using two of the marquee third-person shooters of 2016.

How do you compare 2 different genres' MP? Based on what?
Gears gameplay is totally opposite of COD twitch shooting. Your comparison is like comparing hockey to soccer.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
yvanjean said:

How do you compare 2 different genres' MP? Based on what?
Gears gameplay is totally opposite of COD twitch shooting. Your comparison is like comparing hockey to soccer.

Limited gaming money or time to play MP..... Which game do you buy if you own an Xbox one and want a multiplayer shooter and can only afford or have the time to play one game? Gears 4, BF1 or COD?

Great result. A franchise seeing a return to form by the look of things.

I really need to get a better PC soonish so I can play the whole franchise.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Washington Post 8/10 knocked it back down to 84

WoodenPints said:

Washington Post 8/10 knocked it back down to 84

lol everytime someone has posted it went back up to 85, it has dropped down to 84 within minutes. 

CGI-Quality said:
FIT_Gamer said:

lol everytime someone has posted it went back up to 85, it has dropped down to 84 within minutes. 

You spoke too soon!

lol did it go back up?