By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is the "Free" world losing its mind??

Eagle367 said:
Lawlight said:

You mean Afican Muslims? And Indonesia and Yemen, which aren't African countries.

I don't think indonesians and yemenis do this. Also African christians do it as well. But it sure as hell has got nothing to do with religion. The ignorance of the masses is something you can't control and these practices are due to ignorance about almost everything including science and religion

They do. It's a practice associated mostly with muslim countries in Africa but a high percentage of girls suffer from that in Indonesia as well. While it's got nothing to do with religion, those who practice it claim it is and those are mostly Muslims. It's there way of practicising Islam. I guess being religious is in itself being ignorant.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
LadyJasmine said:
However why aren't small number of Sikhs, Hindus and Buddhists and many other groups engaging in large scale Religious violence on to others while living in the west. 

Because there are about 7.5 million Hindus, 6 million Buddhists, and 2 million Sikhs outside of Asia, compared with somewhere around 500-600 million Muslims.

Because they aren't being alienated by the media and by bigots (at least, not nearly to a similar degree - and usually the bigots target them because they think they're muslims).

Because the countries that are the most "symbolic" to Muslims (such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc) are being actively oppressed by their governments, which have been routinely supported by various western nations, while those for the other groups aren't nearly so poorly-treated.

Because too many leaders, both Muslim and non-Muslim, use fear as a tool to gain support, and the issues of "Islamic" terrorism and "western" oppression (both of which are rather extreme misrepresentations) are particularly effective tools to that end.

Because we're stuck in a downward spiral, where the reaction to terrorism is to ramp up the very conditions that create terrorists, and so the "Islamic" terrorism ends up resulting in more of the same. The conditions, by the way, are poverty, oppression, and inadequate education.

I'm not going to claim that Islamic scripture (more often the various Hadith, rather than the Quran itself) isn't contributing to the problem... but this can happen with just about any religious text. Heck, there are "Buddhist" terrorists in Sri Lanka and in Myanmar who use Buddhist teachings to justify their terrorism (and Buddhism explicitly bans violence and "taking of life"). The conditions above simply aren't there for the other religions at this time, to turn it into a worldwide problem.

And the solution, by the way, is to reverse those conditions - we need to deal with the oppressive governments, lift people out of poverty, ensure good and widespread access to quality education, and stop playing into terrorists' hands, by refusing to allow their actions to impact life, refusing to allow fear to spread.

Other religion aren't alienated because their religion don't tell them that those who do not believe in their god must be killed.

this is funny, why don't they want the media to say these terrorist practice islam, "the religion of peace".

Fei-Hung said:
Forgot to say, the free world has never been free for a good few millenia if not more. We live under the Illusion of freedom and democracy. It may not be as screwed up as the middle east or North Korea, but we have our problems - not better or worse, but certainly issues that are getting worse.

Take my city Leicester. 4-5 years ago the child poverty in the city hit around 80k. This is in a city and county of about 680k. This number doesn't include adults. Secondly, Leicester was not the worst hit as they are towns and cities which are worse.

That has nothing to do with freedom.

Also, definitions of "poverty" in most western countries tend to be relativistic and don't mean that much. The government gives you enough child benefits to feed all kids in the UK.

Aielyn said:

I'd say quite the opposite - when they claim religion as the motive is precisely when you should refuse to talk about that (not that I think it's relevant in other cases).

When the media reports that a terrorist did their act for a specific reason, they're actually contributing to the exact fear that the terrorists were trying to create. The whole point of terrorism is to achieve political goals through violence and fear - if the people don't know what the act was done for, they can't react in the way that the terrorists wanted them to.

Muslim terrorists WANT the world to be scared of muslims. They WANT people to alienate muslims. Why? Because it increases the power of the terrorists - it swells their numbers. It becomes a recruitment tool - they go to younger muslims in the various countries, who are now feeling incredibly alienated from their own countrymen, and say "If you join with us, you'll feel like you belong - look at those people around you that hate you just for your beliefs; you belong with us, not them", and that's how they end up recruiting.

This doesn't mean the information shouldn't be available, but it shouldn't be broadcast.

This has to be the most 'soft bigotry of low expectations' argument ever. If a billion people worldwide might be pushed into terrorism just because people are a bit awkward around them, those people are already a problem.

No-one else is expected to be so weak and unstable. Muslims need to start being treated like adults rather children.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Eagle367 said:

I don't think indonesians and yemenis do this. Also African christians do it as well. But it sure as hell has got nothing to do with religion. The ignorance of the masses is something you can't control and these practices are due to ignorance about almost everything including science and religion

They do. It's a practice associated mostly with muslim countries in Africa but a high percentage of girls suffer from that in Indonesia as well. While it's got nothing to do with religion, those who practice it claim it is and those are mostly Muslims. It's there way of practicising Islam. I guess being religious is in itself being ignorant.

No I just told you its ignorance of everything. Are you not listening or choosing to cherry pick whatever? There I bolded it for you

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Lawlight said:

No I just told you its ignorance of everything. Are you not listening or choosing to cherry pick whatever? There I bolded it for you

Dude, ignorance of everything is so all-emcopassing that it makes no sense at all. It's their religion, who are you to say how they should be practicing faith?

Lawlight said:
Eagle367 said:

Dude, ignorance of everything is so all-emcopassing that it makes no sense at all. It's their religion, who are you to say how they should be practicing faith?

Sure whatever it takes for you to correlate religion with female mutilation specifically Islam with it even though there is none whatsoever at all.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Yes.