By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Pixel or not to Pixel, that is the question.

LurkerJ said:

Rules have changed the moment Google decided to go into the hardware business. Not to mention, Nexus devices received no substantial marketing and they weren't entirely Google products either, less than 1% of Android devices sold were Nexuses. Google is leveraging their PIXEL smartphones using Google Assistant, that's not the same as before at all.

Yeah I guess I can see that. Though I would say Google is doing this because the dominant Android manufacturer (samsung) has strongly suggested they are going to eventually become their own OS and drop things such as default Google services on their platform. That is cause for concern to Google I'd think as the sole reason they support Android is to push their search/ad business.

Also, I'd point out that Nexus was a small % of android devices sold due to a few different reasons. Google didn't advertise, they were lower-end by design, Verizon and other carriers didn't push them or offer at all (not sure about out of US carriers). Pixel looks to be opposite of all of that.

But I do think Assitant will be out for all sooner than you think just as Google has never limited support of their products on iPhones. In fact, sometimes the iOS version was better or launched new features before the Android version.

Around the Network

If they'll make it IP67 or IP68, moderately shockproof and priced no more than $100, I could have found a successor for my Motorola Defy Mini.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I'm super tempted, but I know a Sony or a Samsung will come out with the same Snapdragon 821, with water resistance and great cameras.

Edit: Doesn't have an SD card, nevermind.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Raistline said:

Just an FYI for those arguing, and heatedly I might add, about the hardware differences between the Pixel and it's competitors.

All high end Samsung phones have since the S6 have a massive beneficial hardware feature (at least in the US) that no other phone has. That is the Samsung Pay feature, enabled via a special NFC/Magnetic hybrid chip. This allows you to use Samsung Pay at any NFC pay station, or any user facing magnetic strip card reader, even if it does not have NFC payments enabled.

So there is another pretty large benefit for Samsung over the Pixel.

I personally would prefer the pixel for it's modding community over anything lack of the couple of features noted. There only features I the S7 has over the Pixel that I can find are, SD Card, Water Resistance, Heart Rate Monitor, Screen resolution for the non-XL, and finally wireless charging.
For me, I have not used an SD-Card since the Galaxy S(original), my Nexus 6 is water resistant and has saved me, heart rate monitor is worthless and I have never once heard of anyone using it on a phone, and wireless charging would be nice but requires the purchase of a pad, or an expensive new car, and is no needed. Since I will never buy a 5" phone again the resolution difference is a misnomer to me. So for me the real comparison is the Note7 vs the Pixel XL.

To note The cheapest Galaxy S7 US version is $669 at retail. The International version is only $569 but the warranty is not valid in the US. You must get the US version in the US to have a valid warranty. So even though the price of the Pixel is much more than I expected, it is still equivalent to it's competitors and due to it's modding support it will get it would be my choice. I am, however, sticking with the OG Nexus 6 since I don't want to lose a half an inch of screen realestate. Not to mention it is still more than fast enough for anything I do.

All Android phones have had that feature for many years before Samsung Pay (or Apple Pay that came before Samsung). It was first launched as part of Google Wallet, later renamed Google Pay (same year as Samsung Pay). I guess the magnetic strip feauture is a difference though all retailers are moving to newer card readers to support the chip and these largely also support NFC. I'd think this benefit is going away relatively fast. I certainly would consider it a huge advantage.

I'm done arguing over the differences. I think where it comes to one better over the other, there is equally other items where the other is better.

display - technically S7
cellular radios - pixel
camera - likely pixel or could be relatively equal based on specs (that 16MP you mention had worse hardware/camera parts thus is worse than the 12MP of S7 or pixel)
OS - pixel (vanilla experience is smaller footprint, faster, etc)
Software features - toss up/personal pref (where you have things like multi-view windows, pixel gives you better google service integration and Assistant/Google Now)
Hardware features - toss up/personal pref (the two things brought up I think are pointless, but some may prefer sd card slots)
battery life - similar 
CPU/GPU - similar
Storage - similar with nod to sd card slot if your prefence is to use one. I don't know how many people do or care as the biggest competitor (iphone) has never offered that as a feature. (nor have nexus devices)
Price - technically S7 because its been out slightly longer and has resellers. Pixel will get there but all in all, US perspective is they are same price.

I think it comes down to a fact that you'll have your prefences and see those as huge wins. But a person who doesn't care would likely see them as very much the same offer and choose on asthetics, which is also purely personal preference.

Captain_Yuri said:

Summary

Similar Display - Nope unless you spend even more 
Similar Camera - We shall see - Edit: Actually... Pixel doesn't have OIS... So I doubt it will be as good as Samsungs
Similar CPU/GPU - Only in the US. Every other country gets the version where the CPU rekts it
Better Connector - See my response
Better Storage - Nope since Samsung has Micro-SD card
Better Reponsiveness - I agree
Better Carrier Support - As far as Radios go, I agree and never disagreed
Similar Price - You can get a Galaxy S7 for $100 less and if you want the version which matches the Galaxy S7's Display, you have to spend $100 more than the Base pixel which is $200 more than what you can get for the Galaxy S7. Or $100 more than the S7 with US warranty. Either ways, its more for less.
Lacks two Overrated hardware features - Nope. I don't get how water resistance is even considered overrated and micro-sd card certainly isn't

Oh look, paying more for less unless you ignore all the features and call them overrated because you don't use them.

see my post above... 

Around the Network

I like how you can pull down the notifications from the back of your phone!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

superchunk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Summary

Similar Display - Nope unless you spend even more 
Similar Camera - We shall see - Edit: Actually... Pixel doesn't have OIS... So I doubt it will be as good as Samsungs
Similar CPU/GPU - Only in the US. Every other country gets the version where the CPU rekts it
Better Connector - See my response
Better Storage - Nope since Samsung has Micro-SD card
Better Reponsiveness - I agree
Better Carrier Support - As far as Radios go, I agree and never disagreed
Similar Price - You can get a Galaxy S7 for $100 less and if you want the version which matches the Galaxy S7's Display, you have to spend $100 more than the Base pixel which is $200 more than what you can get for the Galaxy S7. Or $100 more than the S7 with US warranty. Either ways, its more for less.
Lacks two Overrated hardware features - Nope. I don't get how water resistance is even considered overrated and micro-sd card certainly isn't

Oh look, paying more for less unless you ignore all the features and call them overrated because you don't use them.

see my post above... 

One thing before you go though.

You seem to state that iphone and Nexus phones are in the same league when it comes to storage but they really aren't. iphone 6s as well as iphone 7 uses NVMe storage vs Samsung's eMMC on the Nexus 6p and Galaxy S6/S7's UFS. Considering this is Samsung's controller, most likely, the Pixel will be a bit less than the internal storage speed of the Galaxy S7 if they go with Samsung again like they did with the 6p. The point is, iphone storage speed blows away any android phone's storage speed due to its NVMe storage solution. So I don't think it makes sense to say, oh Apple has it like this so Nexus can do it too when they don't even have comparable storage technologies.

FDE stands for "Full Disk Encryption" if you were wondering.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

You seem to state that iphone and Nexus phones are in the same league when it comes to storage but they really aren't. iphone 6s as well as iphone 7 uses NVMe storage vs Samsung's eMMC on the Nexus 6p and Galaxy S6/S7's UFS. Considering this is Samsung's controller, most likely, the Pixel will be a bit less than the internal storage speed of the Galaxy S7 if they go with Samsung again like they did with the 6p. The point is, iphone storage speed blows away any android phone's storage speed due to its NVMe storage solution. So I don't think it makes sense to say, oh Apple has it like this so Nexus can do it too when they don't even have comparable storage technologies.

Interesting. Though, Nexus phones were not top line. They were engeering phones intended to be lower spec and lower price. Pixel is not. It will be interesting to see how its NAND memory stacks up. 

superchunk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

#Snipz

Interesting. Though, Nexus phones were not top line. They were engeering phones intended to be lower spec and lower price. Pixel is not. It will be interesting to see how its NAND memory stacks up. 

True dat. It is the reason why iphones win so frequently in speedtests vs all of its competitors. And not necessarily because of its CPU/GPU but those certainly do help once the game/app is loaded. Samsung is coming out with UFS 2.0 which is supposed to beat the iphone's NVMe storage speeds however but we will see if Pixel has it or if they will save it for the Galaxy S8 (seems more likely)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

So, I assume you have some extra cash lying around then, because that phone is ridiculously expensive. Nothing unheard of, sure, but still expensive. For comparison: You could get a perfectly fine gaming PC for that price.