By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17
JWeinCom said:
Jumpin said:

It can be said about AEW, they’re unoriginal with their show names.
Both “Dynamite!!” and “Collision” are titles of recurring kickboxing events by K-1 and Glory. Even the two exclamation marks are present at the end of Dynamite!! It’s also the branding of some of the K-1 video games. I’m wondering how on earth they got around the trademark laws given the obvious similarities: both are spectator sports taking place in a ring.

I think Dynamite was kind of meant to play off of Nitro. TNT was kind of initially pushing it as a spiritual successor to WCW. 

Regarding trademark law, I think the argument would be just what you said, that they're not original. Basically, the more creativity goes into a name/logo, the more likely it is to be trademarkable. So, you'd argue that in a sport (or "sport") with two people fighting Collision is a pretty obvious name. Think of how often in sports people are said to be on a collision course or something like that. So it may be too obvious to trademark, as opposed to something like Wrestlemania, Bash at the Beach, or Double or Nothing, which are a little more out there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Collision. It seems to feature more of the people I like. But, if the booker is the same, and I think it will be, then I don't think I'll likely enjoy it. I really think Tony should just keep Dynamite as his pet project, and he can do the more indie Bucksish stuff there, and for those who like that, great. Then find someone qualified to book Collision, hopefully with a more serious style, and let people decide which they like better.

Basically how Vince handled RAW and SmackDown during the first Brand Extension back in 2002 when he had Brian Gerwirtz head writing RAW and Paul Heyman head writing SmackDown.

He still had the final say in the end, but he wanted two distinct feels for each show. RAW was more story-driven while SmackDown was more wrestling-driven.

Around the Network

I'm loving the Bloodline story, just when you thought it was over - its still going on lol

PAOerfulone said:
JWeinCom said:

I think Dynamite was kind of meant to play off of Nitro. TNT was kind of initially pushing it as a spiritual successor to WCW. 

Regarding trademark law, I think the argument would be just what you said, that they're not original. Basically, the more creativity goes into a name/logo, the more likely it is to be trademarkable. So, you'd argue that in a sport (or "sport") with two people fighting Collision is a pretty obvious name. Think of how often in sports people are said to be on a collision course or something like that. So it may be too obvious to trademark, as opposed to something like Wrestlemania, Bash at the Beach, or Double or Nothing, which are a little more out there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Collision. It seems to feature more of the people I like. But, if the booker is the same, and I think it will be, then I don't think I'll likely enjoy it. I really think Tony should just keep Dynamite as his pet project, and he can do the more indie Bucksish stuff there, and for those who like that, great. Then find someone qualified to book Collision, hopefully with a more serious style, and let people decide which they like better.

Basically how Vince handled RAW and SmackDown during the first Brand Extension back in 2002 when he had Brian Gerwirtz head writing RAW and Paul Heyman head writing SmackDown.

He still had the final say in the end, but he wanted two distinct feels for each show. RAW was more story-driven while SmackDown was more wrestling-driven.

Sort of. I think AEW, from when I last watched it, already has a bunch of different feels. There is the lucha/indie stuff the bucks and lucha bros do, the deathmatch stuff Moxley into, Jericho's comedy schtick, etc. Some people like Punk, Cody when he was there, FTR, and MJF to an extent have a more traditional prowrestling style which is the stuff I like, so I'd like that to be on its own show so I could just watch that. And I generally think it would be have another style. Seems like the current AEW product has found its niche, so if they want to expand putting on some different stuff seems helpful.

BasilZero said:

I'm loving the Bloodline story, just when you thought it was over - its still going on lol

It's good, but I'm kind of getting impatient. 

AEW Collision is going to air on Saturdays, which is an incredibly tough night when it comes to competition from live sports. I hope it does well, but it won't be easy. I really wish it could have aired on weekdays, but every other night already has a wrestling show airing on TV. At the very least, this will be an interesting summer for AEW since they have a new show starting up and All In from Wembly Stadium.

No_Name_Needed said:

AEW Collision is going to air on Saturdays, which is an incredibly tough night when it comes to competition from live sports. I hope it does well, but it won't be easy. I really wish it could have aired on weekdays, but every other night already has a wrestling show airing on TV. At the very least, this will be an interesting summer for AEW since they have a new show starting up and All In from Wembly Stadium.

On top of that they'll be competing against WWE PLEs when they air.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
No_Name_Needed said:

On top of that they'll be competing against WWE PLEs when they air.

Yeah PLEs may end up being bad for their ratings. To be fair though there isn't a huge overlap of fans between AEW and WWE, so PLEs may not hurt Collision too much. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

No_Name_Needed said:

They really need to get on a mainstream streaming service. Think they're on Hulu Premium or something, but they need to be on something more people have. Maybe WB/Discovery wants to keep sports/wrestling on live TV as a way to keep people subscribing to cable and think AEW is helpful for that, but most people aren't going to schedule their lives around wrestling especially when they're up to three days a week. If people can watch it the day after streaming, live competition still matters, but much less.  

JWeinCom said:
No_Name_Needed said:

They really need to get on a mainstream streaming service. Think they're on Hulu Premium or something, but they need to be on something more people have. Maybe WB/Discovery wants to keep sports/wrestling on live TV as a way to keep people subscribing to cable and think AEW is helpful for that, but most people aren't going to schedule their lives around wrestling especially when they're up to three days a week. If people can watch it the day after streaming, live competition still matters, but much less.  

There were rumors of a streaming deal with HBO Max some time ago, but yeah that didn't happen sadly. Many seem to believe that All In from Wembly Stadium will stream on Max since the event has not been listed or announced for PPV. Hope this turns out to be true, and eventually leads to a streaming deal. I'm currently not subscribed to any streaming service, but this would definitely tempt me to subscribe to Max.

Collision's Debut was pretty ok. In a lot of ways seems like the type of product a lot were hoping for when AEW started.

Regardless of whether you like him or not, Punk is probably still the best on the mic in the industry. Only people coming close are Heyman, Sami Zayn, and surprisingly Jey Uso, but even they're not on that level. He was allowed to do the kind of fourth wall bending promo he built his career on. However you think they handled the situation with him and the Bucks, this is kind of what you want from Punk.

Aside of that, the show was pretty much all wrestling, with the exception of an acclaimed promo. The matches were closer to WWE style than indy style, but there were more clean finishes and the matches were each given a reasonable amount of time, although maybe some shouldn't have. The matches varied in quality with the main event and Andrade/Matthews matches being really good, and the rest varying between decent (Miro/Neese), and meh (Willow/Skye Blue vs Ruby Soho and Toni Storm).

The main drawbacks here are that they don't do a lot of recaps and such. Which to people who follow the product regularly can be considered a good thing, but for people that don't not so much. Even as someone who is generally aware of some of the going ons in AEW, I was definitely missing a lot of things that were going on. I think more could have been done to establish who the good guys or bad guys were, and just who was who in general. On the whole, there wasn't a lot of emphasis on storylines. The matches were mostly good, but except for a couple didn't seem to have any personal issue behind them. To be fair though, this and the prior issue could just be the fact that this is a new show. So we'll see.

Overall, it was decent. If I were home on a Saturday night or bored on a Sunday morning, there's a good chance I'd turn it on. But, for me personally, I really need a strong story component to get into things. It's rare that I can get into a match without a story behind it, even if it's a good match. So, they would have to build the stories more if I was going to go out of my way to catch the show. But, for people who just want to see some good matches, this was a solid two hours of wrestling.

Rollins taking the World Heavyweight Championship to NXT is sure something.