By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17
BasilZero said:

Closest to the Big Gold Belt we'll get.

Though the WWE logo ruins it lol

I like it overall. I agree that the logo kind of clashes with the more old school aesthetic. I think using an older style logo would have worked better.

Kind of hoping this leads to a clean separation between Raw and Smackdown. The bloodline stuff has been great, but it's made it hard for anyone outside to have big career moments. I think separating the brands is a good thing in general, and with the subscription based model, it's not as important to have your biggest star on every show (which wasn't really happening anyway). 

Feel like Mcintyre is the guy who will win this. I think he's been a pretty good sport about fading into the background while Reigns was the sole champion. Word is he has questions about resigning, and he's a guy I think they want to keep around, and probably a guy they don't want in AEW. 

I'm still concerned that this means they're going to keep the Reigns thing going for a lot longer and I really hope that's not the case. Wrestling has a tendency to drag out stories so long that when the payoff eventually happens, nobody cares anymore.

MITB should be Roman's former victims all fighting for a shot (Cody, Drew, Jey, maybe Brock, KO, Sami, Balor, Edge) at the briefcase. Heyman finagles Solo into the match. Cody wins. Next Smackdown Reigns starts chewing Solo out. Solo hits Roman with the spike and then proceeds to lose his shit and decimates Reigns. Like, really fucks him up. Cody's music hits and he comes to the ring, briefcase in hand. Heyman tries to stand between Reigns and Cody.

Cody, being the noble baby face he is, says that he doesn't want to win the title, he wants to earn it. So, he offers Heyman a deal. He won't cash in right then, if Heyman agrees, on Roman's behalf, to have the cash in match at Summerslam. Heyman initially refuses, and Cody says that in that case they needed a referee. Ref starts running out, and Heyman agrees. Cody extends his hand so he and Heyman could shake on it. But before he does, Cody says that he has one more condition. Cody gets to choose the stipulation. Heyman shakes his head and starts yelling no. Cody holds the briefcase out to the ref, and then Heyman agrees. Cody and Heyman shake. Cody kneels over Reigns, still down from Solo's beating, and tells him that he'll see him at Summerslam, in Hell in a Cell. Where obviously Cody wins. 

So that's my fantasy booking on how this should end. Probably won't be anything like that, but we'll see. 

Around the Network

Why book Zelina in a title match in Puerto Rico and build it up if you're just gonna have her get squashed. -_-

JWeinCom said:

Why book Zelina in a title match in Puerto Rico and build it up if you're just gonna have her get squashed. -_-

Bianca is going through the John Cena/Hulk Hogan title run scenario.

@OT - Cant believe Cody beat Lesnar lol - not an expected way to win but realistic considering who Cody was facing.

Man ate two cross roads, a couple of cody cutters and disaster kicks and still broke the pin.

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

Bianca is going through the John Cena/Hulk Hogan title run scenario.

@OT - Cant believe Cody beat Lesnar lol - not an expected way to win but realistic considering who Cody was facing.

Man ate two cross roads, a couple of cody cutters and disaster kicks and still broke the pin.

I was pretty sure Cody will win. They seemingly want to keep going, but... meh. It was fine, just not something I need to see more of.

Reaction to Bianca and Iyo was interesting. I think there's some boredom with Bianca's reign, but I thought they were more cheering for Iyo than against Bianca. Will be interesting to see if that was just a PR thing or if we'll see similar stuff going forward.

Rewatched the Zelina Rhea match. Wasn't quite as bad as I remembered. Zelina had some moments. Guess I was just expecting something longer considering the time and place. Still think they should have booked another kind of match. Tag or something where Zelina could shine more.

JWeinCom said:

I was pretty sure Cody will win. They seemingly want to keep going, but... meh. It was fine, just not something I need to see more of.

This isnt the end of the feud.

He's either gonna get taken out in the tournament by Lesnar or screwed over in the end and someone else will win the title - likely Rollins.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

This isnt the end of the feud.

He's either gonna get taken out in the tournament by Lesnar or screwed over in the end and someone else will win the title - likely Rollins.

Probably. Cody winning the new belt wouldn't make a ton of sense. Winning the title but not from Reigns would be anticlimactic. I've just sort of seen enough of the Brock style matches at this point to get too excited.

JWeinCom said:

Probably. Cody winning the new belt wouldn't make a ton of sense. Winning the title but not from Reigns would be anticlimactic. I've just sort of seen enough of the Brock style matches at this point to get too excited.

Unfortunately I think thats the route they are planning to take.

They are likely gonna end up the bloodline story with The Rock at WM40.

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

Unfortunately I think thats the route they are planning to take.

They are likely gonna end up the bloodline story with The Rock at WM40.

I kind of don't see it playing out like that. If they could book Roman vs The Rock at Mania 40, they would and absolutely should. But, I don't think that match needs a title on the line. I can't really see based on where they are in the story it lasting another year. Still think Cody will win the title, most likely at Summerslam. My prediction is that Cody will win the title, threaten to cash it in on a weakened Roman after some member of the bloodline attack him (probably the Usos laying out him and Solo) . Cody will use the threat of a cash in to force Heyman to agree to a title match at Summerslam on Cody's behalf. Maybe Hell in a Cell. Then, Cody wins.

I think Cody losing at Mania was a way for them to drag out the story and I'd still be surprised if it doesn't end with Cody winning the title. But, they've made more confusing decisions, so maybe Casey will strike out.

It can be said about AEW, they’re unoriginal with their show names.
Both “Dynamite!!” and “Collision” are titles of recurring kickboxing events by K-1 and Glory. Even the two exclamation marks are present at the end of Dynamite!! It’s also the branding of some of the K-1 video games. I’m wondering how on earth they got around the trademark laws given the obvious similarities: both are spectator sports taking place in a ring.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 07 June 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

It can be said about AEW, they’re unoriginal with their show names.
Both “Dynamite!!” and “Collision” are titles of recurring kickboxing events by K-1 and Glory. Even the two exclamation marks are present at the end of Dynamite!! It’s also the branding of some of the K-1 video games. I’m wondering how on earth they got around the trademark laws given the obvious similarities: both are spectator sports taking place in a ring.

I think Dynamite was kind of meant to play off of Nitro. TNT was kind of initially pushing it as a spiritual successor to WCW. 

Regarding trademark law, I think the argument would be just what you said, that they're not original. Basically, the more creativity goes into a name/logo, the more likely it is to be trademarkable. So, you'd argue that in a sport (or "sport") with two people fighting Collision is a pretty obvious name. Think of how often in sports people are said to be on a collision course or something like that. So it may be too obvious to trademark, as opposed to something like Wrestlemania, Bash at the Beach, or Double or Nothing, which are a little more out there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Collision. It seems to feature more of the people I like. But, if the booker is the same, and I think it will be, then I don't think I'll likely enjoy it. I really think Tony should just keep Dynamite as his pet project, and he can do the more indie Bucksish stuff there, and for those who like that, great. Then find someone qualified to book Collision, hopefully with a more serious style, and let people decide which they like better.