By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does the general public know about the Wii U System yet?

I think Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon may have helped most people realize the Wii U exists, but do people know it's an actualy system now? The general consumer at a local Target could see these games but the console still looks like a modified Wii and the pad still looks like an accessory for it.

I think this make the hybrid rumour much more believable because for most people, this latest gen only had XboxOne, PS4, and 3DS. Making a new console after Wii U will be quite shocking and seem like blackberry adverising a new smartphone (an old company trying to be relevant again in a new market).

What do you guys think? Do people know the Wii U console exists now?

Around the Network

I think so. They are probably just happy enough with their Wii.

No. I still have to tell people to this day what the hell a Wii U is. From the casual to the slightly more informed when it comes to tech, the Wii U never truly took off. Much the same way the Vita isn't well known. They're both in the shadow of the system before them.

Actually just a few weeks ago a friend of mine came over (he likes games but isn't super into gaming like a lot of us are) and I had to explain to him what the hell the system was.

Nintendo's biggest failure this gen was not making it clear to the public what the Wii U was. First impressions are important, and for many, the Wii U never even had one.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't fuck up with whatever the NX is.

Just the other day i was talking to a coworker about games and brought up Wii U, he had no idea what it was.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

StarOcean said:
No. I still have to tell people to this day what the hell a Wii U is. From the casual to the slightly more informed when it comes to tech, the Wii U never truly took off. Much the same way the Vita isn't well known. They're both in the shadow of the system before them.

Actually just a few weeks ago a friend of mine came over (he likes games but isn't super into gaming like a lot of us are) and I had to explain to him what the hell the system was.

Nintendo's biggest failure this gen was not making it clear to the public what the Wii U was. First impressions are important, and for many, the Wii U never even had one.

They seem to be in no hurry to show it off, so I guess whatever it is, it will be crystal clear the moment we see it.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
StarOcean said:

They seem to be in no hurry to show it off, so I guess whatever it is, it will be crystal clear the moment we see it.

I sincerely hope so

I've told my girlfriend several times that Wii and Wii U are two different systems. I'm not sure she still gets it, and she's a little big of a gamer. If she doesn't get it despite me telling her several times, I wouldn't count on the general public getting it.

Zkuq said:
I've told my girlfriend several times that Wii and Wii U are two different systems. I'm not sure she still gets it, and she's a little big of a gamer. If she doesn't get it despite me telling her several times, I wouldn't count on the general public getting it.

Well thats good news for Nintendo at least.

The answer to this question is unfortunately no. If the NX does become a hit, do not be surprised to hear people refer to it as the "Wii successor," since most people will not even know that the Wii U ever existed.

Not at all, I still find people that thinks I talk about the Wii when I talk about the WiiU, the fact that people don't really know about it is one of the biggest reasons of its fail, fortunately I don't think they are gonna fall in the same mistake with NX.