By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Disks or Game Cartridges on Home Consoles

Disks or Cartridges?

Disks 57 27.40%

Cartridges 121 58.17%

Why not Both? 21 10.10%

See Results 9 4.33%

Total:208

Cartridges keep your save data off of the console, which is ideal for if you need to use a different system than what you would normally use.

Example my ex got the WiiU in the divorce because it was a gift for her. I kept my games though so no big deal, I just buy another WiiU. However my save data is gone if I don't do the transfer and hers is gone if we do. With cartridges this would not be a problem.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
TomaTito said:

Discs also have cases to store them in:

The picture you posted is not showing up to me for some reason. Anyways, I know that, but discs are big and most of the time putting them in multi-disc cases will scratch them. Heck, I took great care of my Wii games and they still had scratches on them, it's pretty annoying. Can't wait for optical media to die, it had a long run =P

I put mine in those, they take up way less space than being in their own respective cases and I can quickly flip through them when choosing what I want. Haven't had any of those scratchs you mention.

And yeah, cartridges are better, but they should also come with individual cases too:

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

My question. Since when has a single Nintendo cart come in a steelcase? Has there been a collectors edition since golden zelda edition? Carts have always seemed like cheep plastic throwaways. While game discs have always seemed more substantial, or at least their packaging, and of course have collectors editions esp steelcase.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

RolStoppable said:
Cartridges are better. Not only are they more durable, the console itself also becomes more reliable due to fewer moving parts. Shorter loading times and being able to save on the cartridge are also nice things to have.

Yup. Says it all.

The only possible disadvantage is less GB/$ .

I honestly cant think of 1 cartridge based game, for any system that stopped working..... ever.
Meanwhile... CDs....

Also if cartridges means you dont have to install games on your HDD, then they are a huge deal better imo.

(due to faster loading speeds than discs)

Around the Network

If you can have a cartridge at the same price as a disc with the same speed and capacity than cartridge all the way.

JRPGfan said:

I honestly cant think of 1 cartridge based game, for any system that stopped working..... ever.
Meanwhile... CDs....

Well... gameboy games had batteries in them, when they ran out you couldn't save the game anymore... I daren't turn on my copy of pokemon blue incase the battery is fried T_T.

But yeah cartridges are much much more reliable in general.

If it's a home console it needs a 4KUHD player, minimum. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that carts are preferable so long as they're cost effective. The whole cost effective bit is where problems have been encountered in the past though...

Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:

Meanwhile... CDs....

Well... gameboy games had batteries in them, when they ran out you couldn't save the game anymore... I daren't turn on my copy of pokemon blue incase the battery is fried T_T.

But yeah cartridges are much much more reliable in general.

You don't have to worry about that. The battery slowly dies as you don't use it. Once it's dead. It's dead. Just needs to be replaced. Luckly it's not that hard. If you have the basic skills. Worse thing is if the battery leaks (rare). So check on it. If you can. I recently replaced all my Pokemon Game batteries. Even though they worked. 16 years is a long time. IF the battery is dead. The game still works. It just won't save.