By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sam Harris explains why Trump is a dangerous candidate.

outlawauron said:
method114 said:

What's interesting to me is that you have these people as friends on FB.

Bad things in the past aside, I really hope you wouldn't end a friendship with someone over differing political views. That'd be one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

He said these people bullied him from k-8th grade. Why would you ever want to be FB friends with someone like that?

Around the Network
method114 said:
outlawauron said:

Bad things in the past aside, I really hope you wouldn't end a friendship with someone over differing political views. That'd be one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

He said these people bullied him from k-8th grade. Why would you ever want to be FB friends with someone like that?

Because I did a lot of things when I was child that weren't great decisions. I wouldn't think that people are incapable of changing from their actions they made 10+ years ago.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
method114 said:

Because I did a lot of things when I was child that weren't great decisions. I wouldn't think that people are incapable of changing from their actions they made 10+ years ago.

I guess that's one way of looking at it. I certainly wouldn't want to do it.

binary solo said:
Soundwave said:

That and have fun at the grocery store next time when the cost of all food is up by like 25%. 

I personally have no problem paying extra for goods and services if that extra is going towards the lowest people on the food chain making a livable income. It's when those price increases simply funnel into the pockets of the people at the top that I get a bit miffed about prices going up.

Growing up on a farm, this is exactly the problem. There are to few large corporations that buy and sell all the food because they have the business locked up and the system cornered. Overall they pay only slightly more to the farmer every year, yet raise the price at the store substantially. This has led to many many farmers putting up roadside stands, trying to sell for cash to keep the money off the books.

My parents don't just have a small hobby farm either, we have a custom farming business where we take care of our own land which is hundreds of acres, and thousands of acres of crops for other "farmers". At the end of the year, after taxes and expenses, my parents make 1/4 of what I do. I am a licensed electrician, and no I don't work for some generous corporation. While electricity is important in today's world, it still doesn't hold a candle to food, but because a lot of farmers have to deal with an open market, they get screwed royally.

On a bad year expenses don't go up much, but on a rarely good year they go up way to much, to make up for the small increase the poor years before. This leads to farmers never getting ahead, which is exactly why I never became a farmer. I would love to do it, more than anything else, but won't, do to the poor income. Only 1 of my friends has taken over his farm and his life is absolutely hell. He never has time to do anything spring, summer, and fall, and has to work one of the few part time jobs he can get in the winter just to pay the bills/mortgage. His life will be like this for 25 yrs before he pays everything off. My parents farm is actually for sale, and has been for years now, and the only people who will purchase the land or business are city people who want to turn it into something non farm related, that makes money, yet the county won't let it happen to keep food production high and costs low.

If you can't understand how this could be true, ill give you one of many examples. People who don't understand, complain about chemical sprays often for different reasons. Research teams finds out a chemical spray could potentially cause health issues in humans or environmental issues, maybe. Another company comes up with a new spray that is more friendly but not perfect. The goverment bans the old spray and requires use of the new one for the good of the people. The farmer has to take a new course which they pay for themselves, to learn how to mix and apply the spray properly. The spray also costs the same as it used to, but you have to apply it 3 times now instead of once, costing you 3X the amount of money and time. You don't get to just add that cost to your food because its on the open market, so tough luck, its the cost of doing business. Since the prices on the market are low, you end up making less money even though you invested more into it.  

Here is the kicker. The reason why the market price is so poor, is becuse product from other countries has been brought in because its much cheaper for the large corporations to purchase. The reason its cheaper isn't just because those countries labour is cheap, its also beacuse those countries rules say they can use that old unfriendly spray still, which is even cheaper since its slowly being fased out (really slowly elsewhere) and that company wants to sell as much as possible as quick as possible before its too late. That food now gets sent across the border to us, and is aloud to be sent here even though its knowingly been sprayed with banned chemical spray here, and you the people consume it anyway unknowingly. Most don't know, and some don't even care, just because its cheaper in the end.

Trump is right about keeping jobs in America, and is right about law and order, and taxing incoming goods. How much of that he can actually accomplish is another story. Making the rich cough up more money for better financial equality is a tough road no matter how you approach it. It doesn't change the fact that he is right though.