By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A New Dragon Age Game?

teigaga said:
Barkley said:

Soulless? Did you play inquisition? Soulless is one of the last words I'd use to describe it.

Maybe I'm talking about setting, plot etc. It didn't capture me in those initial few hours and no aspect of the world presented made me want to stick around. Maybe I need to give it more time but from what I heard the story isn't all that great, which made give it up on it. If the looked and felt more like the art on tarrot cards I'd be all over it. As it stands I just see it as another western, medevil inspired fantasy that could instead be something refreshingly new.

The main story in DA:I did have it's issues. The main bad guy wasn't new or personal to the Inquisitor but to their extended universe. To me he never felt a threat like the Archdemon did. The extended lore was good to have but not the way they made it out, it felt in this game at instead of you playing a role in a story and shaping the story as you went with your decisions, you were more playing their story and in the end their story ended their way. DA:O I could do many things and I think by the end pretty much all characters who joined you could and would leave given certain situations. In DA:I, this isn't possible. Once some joined they were there and you couldn't get rid of them, no matter how much you disliked them or they disliked you. All to fit their story. A shame. 

But the world that was built, the size of it and how much lore exists was quite impressive.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
teigaga said:

Maybe I'm talking about setting, plot etc. It didn't capture me in those initial few hours and no aspect of the world presented made me want to stick around. Maybe I need to give it more time but from what I heard the story isn't all that great, which made give it up on it. If the looked and felt more like the art on tarrot cards I'd be all over it. As it stands I just see it as another western, medevil inspired fantasy that could instead be something refreshingly new.

The main story in DA:I did have it's issues. The main bad guy wasn't new or personal to the Inquisitor but to their extended universe. To me he never felt a threat like the Archdemon did. The extended lore was good to have but not the way they made it out, it felt in this game at instead of you playing a role in a story and shaping the story as you went with your decisions, you were more playing their story and in the end their story ended their way. DA:O I could do many things and I think by the end pretty much all characters who joined you could and would leave given certain situations. In DA:I, this isn't possible. Once some joined they were there and you couldn't get rid of them, no matter how much you disliked them or they disliked you. All to fit their story. A shame. 

But the world that was built, the size of it and how much lore exists was quite impressive.

The last DLC also really salvaged a lot of Inquisition's story for me. It was really well done.

Angelus said:

The last DLC also really salvaged a lot of Inquisition's story for me. It was really well done.

Which one was that? I recently purchase the GOTY but haven't played it or the DLC yet (should probably find out the order :P). I intend to when I'm done with other games but my problem was the lore they were trying to force on us like it mattered. With DA:O we had the choice of doing the deed with Morrigan or killing so and so, etc (heck even surviving), in DA:I it felt like I didn't have that choice with 'their' ending. Minor issue really to a game I really enjoyed.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Angelus said:

Which one was that? I recently purchase the GOTY but haven't played it or the DLC yet (should probably find out the order :P). I intend to when I'm done with other games but my problem was the lore they were trying to force on us like it mattered. With DA:O we had the choice of doing the deed with Morrigan or killing so and so, etc (heck even surviving), in DA:I it felt like I didn't have that choice with 'their' ending. Minor issue really to a game I really enjoyed.

The Order is

Jaws of Hakkon, The Descent, Trespasser

Trespasser is by far the best, and really just does an excellent job of tying up Inquisition in a very very satisfoctary way. It also does a beautiful job of bringing the lore to the forefront in a way that shows you how it actually is important, and impactful. I HIGHLY recommend playing it ASAP. Imo it's the best part of the entire game

Trespasser is just a masterpiece, it's the true ending that Inquisition needed

I love the DA franchise, but I do hope they go for the Origins path this time (or a remaster please!!!)

Around the Network

I do agree that overall I'd much prefer to have the next game to be more like Origins than Inquisition, but there are certain barriers there now that pretty much prevent this from happening, the most key among them being continuity. The first Dragon Age, much like the first Mass Effect, wasn't bound by any need to keep choice impact held as in check as possible. Sure they were hoping for those games to be big successes and turn into profitable franchises, but since it wasn't a given, they were on some level treated as one offs, which gives you a certain freedom. You can influence things in these very radical ways, because there hasn't been any real planning into what comes next yet.

Now that those games are solidified big franchises, there's always that issue of continuity. If we let the player do this, and get too far off course from what we're planning to do in the next game, then the path diverges too drastically to the point where we have to make a complete different game for player A and player B.

Not anymore. 2 and Inquisition were pretty terrible and realizing Bioware is no longer a AAA dev or maybe they are more than ever,take your pick. They are terrible at writing and designing a meaningful world and story and characters. If it was not clear after ME3 it sure is clear after DAI. Shame as DAO one of my fave games last gen

Hopefully not ever.

I couldn't stand Inquisition. Garbage game in my opinion.

The only dragon age that was good and a true RPG was the original. Focus on Mass Effect.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros