By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS - No generations 'eases the disruptive nature of moving to a new platform' - Will market Xbox One S aggressively

4 xboxes later and MS can say they won the 8th gen lol.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
4 xboxes later and MS can say they won the 8th gen lol.

It is pretty brilliant.  

One can not lose a console war generation if that generation has no end.

I am pretty sure that was said by some wise man hundreds of years ago. :p

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I can use all my old controllers on WiiU and it's full BC. Fat lot a good that did.

LurkerJ said:
Darc Requiem said:

We shall see. I don't agree but I certainly can be wrong about this business model. That said, as far optimization goes you are fooling yourself. Devs have shown optimization issues with the existing console business model. Giving them multiple targets is just going to make the issue worse. 

I agree, but I think it will be less of an issue around 2023 when the Scorpio 2 will be the base model and the older hardware becomes an after thought for both, gamers and developers. 

Not that I care enough anyway, I am not going back to consoles or paying to play online. PC, and possibly the NX, all the way to the grave.

"No Generations" means unlimited support for the first model, not just backwards compatibility

Darc Requiem said:

We shall see. I don't agree but I certainly can be wrong about this business model. That said, as far optimization goes you are fooling yourself. Devs have shown optimization issues with the existing console business model. Giving them multiple targets is just going to make the issue worse. 

Edit: Don't expect 60fps either. It's the first thing that gets sacrificed by developers.

This optimization thing is overstated and misunderstood when it comes to consoles. With this model for consoles, devs aren't making games for the PS3/360 and then porting it over to the PS4/XB1 or vice versa. It's the same engine running on hardware that  can run the exact same code. Devs don't have to go and completely rewrite their code to go from the PS4 to the Neo. They give you the swme game, but just allow the more powerful console to utilize assets or better iterations of their already existing code. Rez bump here, better shadow rez there, better AA here....etc. 

Look at it this way. Devs make a game on PC and it's dialed up to 10. for consoles they port it over and bring it down to 4. With the Neo and scorpio they bring it down to 7. Same code. 

TheLastStarFighter said:
It's interesting. In some ways I like it, but in another way I think it kills innovation. There was a time when a new console not only introduced better hardware and resolutions, but new ways to play. Totally new interfaces. Shifts from sprites to polygons. Dramatic shifts in games. I enjoy those tremendously.

It is really on Nintendo now as the only one who could provide a dramatic shift. If they did - if they offered something totally new on a hardware level - this could kill MS's plans of "no generations." But Nintendo would have to offer something that gamers would both enjoy and come to demand as a new standard.

I don't think it will kill innovation. especially if going by your example. If ways to play is the kinda innovation you are talking about, then I'm sorry to tell you we have been playing the same way since the 90s. I think people have to accept that we don't have to reinvent the wheel every single time. If it's not broke don't fix it. I would rather see innovation in AI, physics, level design and character progression than in new control systems anyday. 

Besides, we are getting VR now. And I think you are putting too much faith in Nintendo. It's not just about having new ways to play. Its about having meaningful ways to play. there is a reason dual stick controllers, keyboard and mouse have been around for as long as they have. They just make things easy to do. Nintendo did different with motion controls. but a lot of their games suffered for it. I strongly doubt anyone would tell you that twilight princess was the best Zelda they played. or that people would be as excited if they were told that BotW is motion control based.

RolStoppable said:
Good luck with that, Microsoft. You can say that there will be no generations all you want, but if consumers don't buy into that idea, it's not going to work like you want. And why should consumers buy into the idea of no generations when the Scorpio is a next generation Xbox.

I've said it in another thread, if generations are supposed to go away, then the current Xbox One would have to have infinite and unlimited forward compatiblity. Nobody in their right mind would believe that that is going to happen, and Microsoft certainly is not going to allow such FC either. After all, they want to sell their next generation Xbox and show why it's not only better than the current Xbox One, but also better than whatever Sony has in store.

infinite compatibility isn't how generations go away though. Look at it this way...

The PS4 was released in 2013 at $399. By 2019 it could very well be $99, maybe even come without a disc drive or something. At that point the Neo will probably be $200-$250.

The pricing is key. By that time, the best selling PS4 wouldn't be the $99 version even tho it still plays all PS4 games. It will probably be the $250 Neo which plays all PS4 games and plays all PS5 games decently. The og PS4 will still be able to play PS5 games but you will literally be getting a $99 expericne. 

it's called phasing out hardware. if you had a PS4 from 2013 to 2019, at that time you could choose to get a Neo for $200/$250 and be good for the next 3-6 yrs, or you could choose to buy the PS5 for $400-$500 and be good for the next 6-9yrs. 

The luxury this model affords platform holders is that they can take more risks with hardware. They can make a $600 all powerful box knowing that they really only need the $250 box to drive sales while they can slowly get their price down. And most importantly, there will be a version of the console available to meet every price bracket and type of console gamer. 

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:

A lack of generations prevents a clean break from the previous iteration of hardware. The strength of consoles had always been a unified platform that developers could maximize. In addition, it made it clear to consumers when software was compatible with a platform.

I don't see this change as a good thing. New hardware is going to be limited by software being required to run on older hardware. Which defeats the purpose of having improved hardware. Consoles are becoming too much like PCs and forgetting what made the console model a success.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Nem said:

Oh yes, i'm sure it has great advantages for platform holders... but does it for consumers? That is the real question. Who is gonna buy a new system every 2 years to play a new game? A console isn't a phone or a PC. It has no use by itself. A console just plays games.

Why?

Sony already said Neo won't have exclusives and MS said the only Scoprio exclusives in the foreseeable future will be VR experiences because Oculus literally can't run on Xbox One. If we're looking from a consumer standpoint, choice is normally a good thing. The logical thing to assume is support will continue for PS4/X1 for as long Neo/Scorpio remain premium devices. At any one point in time there will sell a cheap box ($249-299) and a premium box ($399-499). 

Did the announcement of the Scorpio and Neo really drop console sales? I haven't heard that before. If it's true though, it makes sense. People who haven't bought a PS4  or a XBO may as well just wait for that rather than buy a slightly more inferior console.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

'Platform' ...

The PS5 Exists. 

Swordmasterman said:
LurkerJ said:

I agree, but I think it will be less of an issue around 2023 when the Scorpio 2 will be the base model and the older hardware becomes an after thought for both, gamers and developers. 

Not that I care enough anyway, I am not going back to consoles or paying to play online. PC, and possibly the NX, all the way to the grave.

"No Generations" means unlimited support for the first model, not just backwards compatibility

Nobody is stopping any company to announce an end of support date.