By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS - No generations 'eases the disruptive nature of moving to a new platform' - Will market Xbox One S aggressively

Shadow1980 said:
teigaga said:

I don't think any of those are really comparable, specifically not to the Scorpio. Looking at history we can't ignore that the transition to PS4/X1 saw 2 years worth of cross platform games, that in itself is a new normal. How many GBA games were released alongside a GB Color version. How many PS2 games were released alongside a PS3 version, day and date?

There were at least 46 titles released on both sixth- and seventh-gen platforms by the end of 2007. The PS2 was still getting at least a couple cross-gen games long after that, though to be fair those were all sports games (FIFA 14 had the distinction of being released across three generations, though I imagine the PS2 version was different from the PS4 version in ways besides visuals). Not counting indies and other small titles tailored for digital distribution, there were maybe 80 games released for both 7th- and 8th-gen systems. ~80 a lot more than 46, but not so much as to elicit surprise. It's also worth pointing out that third parties were not putting out many cross-gen games because they were still putting most of their efforts into developing for sixth-gen systems (esp. the PS2). The 360 did not have nearly the support in its first year as the PS4 & XBO did. The PS3 wasn't even out yet, and third parties had very small user base to work with. The PS2 was still outselling the 360 at the time. Also, the hardware differences were more profound. The 360's GPU was at least 38 times more powerful than the PS2's, while the XBO is only about 5.4 times more powerful than the 360, and the PS4's 7.6-7.7 times more powerful. Porting across generations was likely easier.

Taking everything into consideration, cross-gen support during the most recent transition was not especially unusual or noteworthy.

In the case of the Scorpio, the 4x difference in power is far more dramatic a change then any of the incremimental hardware updates Shadow1980  referenced. Practically speaking how much more powerful is the X2 going to have to justify excluiding Scorpio hardware support? Prior generations have typically been seperated by a factor of 8x or more.Even if we cut that in half, I don't see Microsoft bring out a 24TFLOP system at the turn of the decade at a $399 price point.

The 4x increase in power (or 2.4x in the case of the Neo) is going to 4K resolutions and VR. If you overlook all the ancillary PR BS about supposedly redefining generations, it's clear that 4KTV and virtual reality are the reason we're getting a mid-gen spec upgrade. It's perhaps no surprise that the last time a home system got a mid-gen spec upgrade was during the time when CD-ROM was starting to get big. If 4K wasn't introduced and made commonplace when it did, and if VR didn't suddenly become relevant again long after the initial early 90s hype fizzled out, then the Neo and Scorpio likely would not exist.

People are seeing alien pyramids when all they're really looking at is an ordinary rock. There is nothing new under the sun. There is no reason to assume that we're looking at a massive paradigm shift in the console industry.

EDIT: Also, what Lawlight just said. If the Neo and Scorpio are not one-off things and actually are heralds of a new age of iterative consoles, I'll eat my hat*... and prepare a funeral pyre for the console industry just in case.

*I don't actually own a hat

Well I think we've got so caught up in the term "generations" I think we're not looking at what MS are actually said. 

"That term of an upgrade is gone. We are wiping out those generational boundaries. As a gamer, it's pretty cool. Because then I know the games I buy and play today and the controllers I use today are going to work on that machine of tomorrow. And that's the real major step-change." 

I don't care to say that its a revolution or an evolution, but this is the step future systems will be taking. This is where I fundementally disagree with you. You say it won't be a new normal but I think every 4 years we will see a new console benchmark from Microsoft which doesn't erase or bring a holt to the previous systems for at least another 4 years following that. This hasn't happened before in the industry. Time will tell what actually becomes of all of this...

I do however believe that unless Sony updates Neo's specs, I expect them to release a traditional PS5, 5 years from now. A device that will bring an end to both PS4 & Neo support soon after its arrival.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Lawlight said:
And this will lead to issues like what's present on PC - games not running on all PCs.

Just like how the Playstation 4 cannot run all Playstation games like the old PS3 titles?

At-least on the PC, powerfull hardware can still run everything, even old titles... Many older PC's are still able to run new titles just fine, just with reduced quality.

I think your typical console will still have the same "life" length, there will just be more blurring of the hardware transitions by making more software forwards and backwards compatible, with more frequent hardware updates, which isn't a bad thing per-say.

With that said, I'll take a wait and see approach, I do like Microsoft's idea though if it means a more rapid advancement in technology whilst retaining a high level of compatability... I am tired of consoles holding back PC gaming and this would help fix that.

That's why console games are separated by generations. PCs don't which lead to the massive amount of issues people deal with on PC.

Lawlight said:
Pemalite said:

Just like how the Playstation 4 cannot run all Playstation games like the old PS3 titles?

At-least on the PC, powerfull hardware can still run everything, even old titles... Many older PC's are still able to run new titles just fine, just with reduced quality.

I think your typical console will still have the same "life" length, there will just be more blurring of the hardware transitions by making more software forwards and backwards compatible, with more frequent hardware updates, which isn't a bad thing per-say.

With that said, I'll take a wait and see approach, I do like Microsoft's idea though if it means a more rapid advancement in technology whilst retaining a high level of compatability... I am tired of consoles holding back PC gaming and this would help fix that.

That's why console games are separated by generations. PCs don't which lead to the massive amount of issues people deal with on PC.

You are going to have to elaborate on those specific issues.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

This is a Microsoft ruse, or they actually believe this false idea. After all the false things Microsoft has said, however, I'm inclined to believe the ruse. Examples: 1. Kinect is an integral part of XB1's future. 2. The XB1 would use the power of the cloud to make it more powerful. I've only heard of one game that will use this feature. It hasn't been proven yet to my knowledge. 3. XB1 would not play used games. 4. XB1 would be multimedia focused. Now it's more about the games.

Why do I think this is another ruse? I will explain. If graphics continue to advance til photo realism, the regular Xbox One will not be able to handle a version of that. Even Project Scorpio may not be able to handle that. If a new type of graphics come along besides polygons--I remember reading about a new type that was too advanced for current hardware to handle--will original XB1 be able to handle that? No. These would require an upgrade to Project Scorpio or beyond. No gamers left behind? Come on MS.

Games will still support xbox one/ps4 for another 3 years. They will just lower the settings for the xbox one. People have to remember two things. One xbox one / ps4 will have a huge install base that developers won't ignore. Also, Microsoft won't allow games to be xbox scorpio exclusive other than VR (yet). When it is around 2019, there will be games that are xbox Scorpio exclusive and xbox (three) exclusive.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
Games will still support xbox one/ps4 for another 3 years. They will just lower the settings for the xbox one. People have to remember two things. One xbox one / ps4 will have a huge install base that developers won't ignore. Also, Microsoft won't allow games to be xbox scorpio exclusive other than VR (yet). When it is around 2019, there will be games that are xbox Scorpio exclusive and xbox (three) exclusive.

I think the whole point is there won't be a Xbox 3 since it will be unnecessary. The Scorpio is or should be, as far as I understand, a cross generation machine able to surpass the PS4 and Neo and keep up with the PS5. Odds are during the 11th gen there won't be consoles anymore, so they will get away with releasing one machine to serve the markets of three different generations.