By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Slim Supports 5 GHz Wi-Fi

For a person such as myself who cannot commit a lot of time for online gaming, is the 5 GHz such a big advantage?

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Well, I haven't played online multiplayer on my PS4, and it's connected with a wire anyway, but playing Rocket League on my PC with a 2.4 GHz connection works just fine. I'd say it's either your ISPs that suck, or the wifi card itself, neither of which won't be fixed by 5 GHz

Yupp, its probably that. I have never experienced any connection issues on my PS4 ever since I bought it. But then, I live ina  country where I pay 1/5th of the US price for 3x the speed

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

BraLoD said:

Nah, it's because they know that's likely the model I'll be getting, so they want to deliver where they can with it.

Damn, I never thought of that. Now it all makes perfect sense.

The PS5 Exists. 

LivingMetal said:
For a person such as myself who cannot commit a lot of time for online gaming, is the 5 GHz such a big advantage?

Depends... Normally you would prefer to connect via ethernet cables, because games don't really require that high of a bandwith to be able to play. Once you have enough bandwith which I am sure you have, delay is a lot more important which is lower on an ethernet connection. I don't think there is a difference with delay between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, because that has to do with the speed the signal is transmitted between devices. 

The problem with 2.4GHz connections is that normally a lot of household equipment run on the same bandwith so you have to be checking which channel you can use inside this frequency band to avoid having interference, still your mileage may vary if it is too saturated...

Normally 5GHz freq translate in higher bandwith but less penetration (if signal is emitted with the same power). So I don't think you will get any benefits from moving into 5GHz if you are not having any trouble with a 2.4GHz connection.

2 more things to take into account: 

-Your router must also be 5GHz enabled.

-And another thing that is important about 5GHz band. Is that if you have a lot of devices in your house (like I do) you can get a dual band router and connect some devices into the 2.4GHz band and others to the 5GHz band, which will be a better experience... believe me

pd: I am shocked that the original PS4 isn't 5GHz compatible... I have a MacBook from 2008 which is 5GHz compatible.  

teigaga said:
pray4mojo said:
I'm pretty sure anyone who takes their online gameplay/speeds seriously uses a wired connection anyway. I know I do.

Nope. Some people's router is in a completely different room from where they play their games ;) 

Then those people aren't serious lol. You take that damn router, and you move it to your system. Either that, or you just game whereever the router is. You make it happen!