By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Headsets break so easily!

Do you have problems with headsets?

No, they always work perfectly. 7 26.92%

I might have had some pro... 8 30.77%

I often get the wiggling ... 6 23.08%

I get other problems with headsets. 5 19.23%

Total:26
axumblade said:
hershel_layton said:
Not worth paying so much cash...

Got some Sony headphones for 15 dollars. They were actually pretty good, especially for the price. Lasted for a year; broke by me stupidly throwing it by accident.

now I have Philips headphones. They're amazing. Bought for 35 bucks, as good as Beats(without the need to pay 300 just for damn headphones)

Not sure if Beats are still this way but i remember seeing a pair dissected and it probably cost less to assemble than those Phillips headphones. You're literally paying for the name Beats when you get a pair.

Thank you for adressing this. Many people swear by that name, but they're some of the worst rip-offs among headsets.

Around the Network

Gaming headset just means that it looks like shit, has crappy build quality and has bad sound. Get a non-gaming headset.

Depends on the wear and tear you tend to give to your headsets. Me, I used wreak havoc on the main cord that connect to the headset. Would go through $100 headsets every year. Then I got audio technica DJ headsets with detachable cords. So far I've been able to keep this headset for a year longer than I've ever had.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I've always found gaming headsets to be a waste of money. Headsets in general are a waste and break easily.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

There are headsets, even gaming headsets, with a decent to good build quality. Seems like the Takstar based Kingston and Creative aren't bad. Some Logitech models did a good job.
Then there's the low quality stuff like the famous old Speedlink Medusa.
Usually you get way better quality from a headphone or non gaming headset at the same price range.

Another problem is sound quality. Sometimes it's overall quality. Sometimes it's just extreme bass heavyness. The latter one not only makes no real sense with headphones, it 'eats up' midrange details.
Right now there are some gaming headsets like the G633 that have a more HiFi sound. You might still pay less for equally good non gaming stuff though.

Around the Network

get wireless headsets. Anything wired will be subjected to a lot of motion. Connectors and motion just don't work well together.

Intrinsic said:
get wireless headsets. Anything wired will be subjected to a lot of motion. Connectors and motion just don't work well together.

This is also a good idea.  The SONY Wireless Gold I bought when the PS4 was released has worked pretty flawlessly ever since.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

axumblade said:
hershel_layton said:
Not worth paying so much cash...

Got some Sony headphones for 15 dollars. They were actually pretty good, especially for the price. Lasted for a year; broke by me stupidly throwing it by accident.

now I have Philips headphones. They're amazing. Bought for 35 bucks, as good as Beats(without the need to pay 300 just for damn headphones)

Not sure if Beats are still this way but i remember seeing a pair dissected and it probably cost less to assemble than those Phillips headphones. You're literally paying for the name Beats when you get a pair.

Beats only cost 15 dollars to make. Absolutely wasteful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Zkuq said:
 Anyway, I haven't had other troubles with my Sennheiser headsets, so I'll probably get another Sennheiser when I get a new pair eventually

SvennoJ said:

I now use open air Sennheiser headphones, no mic, it's not for online play. Sound quality is pretty good.

green_sky said:
Slimebeast said:

So that's not a dedicateed gaming headset right? I have heard that's a good solution for best quality for your buck, and then just combine it with any external mic.

But you cited two models, 588 and 598. Is there a big difference between the two?

No they are not dedicated gaming headsets. It is an alternative option as the sound quality is quite good for not only gaming but music and movies too. 

558's and 598 are very similar in look and feel. The 598's have bit higher price (Not always) and are said to have wider soundstage and slighter better highs. Most everyday people won't notice the difference. I would recommend buying them on sale. They usually have sales on them during the holiday season through Amazon and such sites. These two in particular are open-air headphones. What it means is that unlike closed headphones, the sound leaks to your surroundings. Best used at home in quieter environement. 

Thank you all for the tips! Sennheiser it is.

I ordered a Sennheiser 558 for 85 Euros. The 598 would have costed exactly twice as much at 170 Euros.

I used lots of cheap 5€ headsets which typically lasted 4-6 month, then I bought the first PS3 wireless headset ~5 years ago and that thing still works