By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Things you can do to make POKEMON games more challenging

Ganoncrotch said:
Play Pokemon Go in a Rural area.

Haha, true story. A girl I know tried to play Pokemon Go in a rural area close to Bucharest and she didn't find a single Pokemon!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Try using the Pokemon Ash did in the Hoenn season. See if you can do better than him.

Edit: Here's his Pokemon League team... Good luck!

Final Battle at Mt Silver Should be

Lvl 90 Pikachu (just have to)
Lvl 88 Charizard
Lvl 88 Blastoise
Lvl 88 Venusaur?
Lvl 89 Mewtwo
Lvl 86 Articuno

Ka-pi96 said:
LadyJasmine said:
Final Battle at Mt Silver Should be

Lvl 90 Pikachu (just have to)
Lvl 88 Charizard
Lvl 88 Blastoise
Lvl 88 Venusaur?
Lvl 89 Mewtwo

Lvl 86 Articuno

That's not really doable though. Mewtwo is a one of a kind Pokemon, so you can't really have one wild for the player to catch and one in an NPC team. Other legendaries like Articuno are exceedingly rare, but not so rare that it's impossible for both the player and an NPC to feasibly have one so that is more reasonable.

Well they could get away with, I am sure the fans would love a super battle like that in the game. 

vkaraujo said:

I got impatient of waiting Sun&Moon and bought Omega Ruby. I was thinking about doing a run with added rules to make things more challenging, but not necessarily a Nuzlocke.

I never done something similar (i was away from Pokemon since the original Gold, until Pokemon X) so i found some rules, but wanted to check if someone has experience in any of these or other rules to recommend.

A few possibilities
- Monotype run: All your pokemons need to have a particular type in common
- No evolution run: can't let your pokemons evolve
- Set Team: can only use 6 (or less) pokemons during the game, usually the first 6 you caught. No starter.
- UU: Only use pokemons from UU tier (does this really ramp up the difficulty of the game?)
- Disadvantage Always: only beat gyms/elite4/rival with pokemon weak to their type (sounds interesting, but also sounds like it would require some planning)
- Underleveled Always: stay a few level below the current challenge level

Any other ideas?

Nope, not at all, you can easily win the game with any species of Pokémon, even if you use 6 sunflora.

I'd suggest to limit the uses of the Pokémon Center/healing characters, say you can use them only 2/3 times and then you are forced to use that of another city forward in the game/in a previous city that you didn't use for 2/3 times already. This can be EXTREMELY brutal because it forces you to spend a lot of money for stuff like antidotes, paralyze heals and so on...

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:

Too Hardcore for me (I can only see 1 Pokéstop from my hose with the largest map possible D': )

AZWification said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Haha, true story. A girl I know tried to play Pokemon Go in a rural area close to Bucharest and she didn't find a single Pokemon!

Even then if a Pokemon did appear in the area she wouldn't have any way to get Pokeballs to actually catch it... she could just take the app on the phone and go sit near it for 15 mins until it despawned.... maybe they should remain Pokemon Go to Pokemon Peta Edition for those living out the country!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Luke888 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Too Hardcore for me (I can only see 1 Pokéstop from my hose with the largest map possible D': )

1 Pokestop!! you spoiled bastard! There is literally some regions where it is 20-30 KM without a single Stop or spawn point, Pretty sure the head of Niantic suggested a great fix to it... Move to somewhere with Pokestops, thanks guy! suggest people move home to play a mobile phone game.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

t3mporary_126 said:

Try using the Pokemon Ash did in the Hoenn season. See if you can do better than him.

Holy fucking shit Ash is literally the worst Pokemon trainer ever... Even at 10 most players of Pokemon games could accidentally catch a better team than he chooses to use.

Ganoncrotch said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Holy fucking shit Ash is literally the worst Pokemon trainer ever... Even at 10 most players of Pokemon games could accidentally catch a better team than he chooses to use.

Well, when Ash is in the League. He usually will use past caught characters. Along with his new ones.