By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 37% of XB1 S 2TB sales were funded with trade-ins

Jranation said:
SWORDF1SH said:
This will just cause a dip in XB1 sales as cheap second hand Xbox ones flood the market.

How often do you think gamers buy preowned consoles? I have never bought one (just preowned games) 

Gamestop shoppers are not the brightest bunch. I mean, the stores will literally sell you an opened game as brand new.

I think the last time I bothered to buy a used console was the original Xbox. Some pawn shop was having a deal too good to pass up. Well, the first four I tried did not work and when they brought out two buckets full of used PS2 and Xbox consoles and told me to pick another I just got a refund.

Before that, maybe a 3DO? Which worked great and I resold for a nice profit.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
jason1637 said:

https://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqc

Nothing exists in that link.

Oh this link should wotk.

https://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

ktay95 said:
RavenXtra said:

Uhh, no it doesn't? The number represents the amount of Xbox One S models sold through "trade credit", meaning store credit from any type of console or game traded in, not just original Xbox Ones. Considering that GameStop was offering a $200 credit for a PS4 trade-in, I'm sure at least some percentage of trade-ins came from that as well.

Trade in PS4 and pay money for an XBO S... who would do such a thing?? 
Like I get that XBO has some benfefits over PS4 such as its exclusives (maybe said gamer is a fan of Halo and Gears etc.) but in that case why would they have ever bought a PS4 before the XBO is beyond me. 

4K support and UHD. And, if word is true, seemingly something that the PS4Slim will not offer. I wouldn't be surprised if people would trade in for the utility, and I expect MS to milk that for all its worth with their extremely on-point utility value with the S. This holiday will be interesting in NA.

This is a very good (low) number for MS as it represents a large amount of consoles moved without *old* ones taking their place in the used retail space.

outlawauron said:
nanarchy said:
seems an amazingly low number of tradeins for a top end upgrade. Was expecting much higher, I am sure MS are pretty pleased with 60%+ new buy ratio of this.

You do realize what the stat is? This isn't even an guarantee of completely new owners, but that more than 1/3 of their sales were from people trading their current stuff in. That's not growing your base, but it does mean you have a lot of hardcore fans willing to double dip.

of course, slim models and upgrades like this will always appeal heavily to hardcore fans initially. I would have expected tradeins to be even higher. numbers seem amazingly good, certainly better than I expected.

This is a really small amount of people trading in their Xbox Fat for a slim actually, The Trade-in part is not just people upgrading from Xbox One  > Xbox One S it includes anyone trading in a PS4,Wii U, Vita or 3DS as well as anyone who could of just turned up with 3 games and trading it in for credit against a new console and considering this is just Gamestop the rest of the sales elsewhere will of had very little in the terms of traded in Xbox One's for the S model and a lot of just straight up sales.

Around the Network

This number would only be people taking their old X1s to Gamestop (IOW : dohhhhhh).

You can get a much better deal by simply selling an X1 privately, and using that $$$ to go buy your X1 wherever.

So the numbers of people upgrading/sidegrading from old X1s is still indeterminate (and we'll likely never know, just like we have no way of completely measuring the impact of YLOD/RROD in terms of total sales. Assuming ~85M sales of PS3 and X360, were 10M-20M the same people buying a new model to replace a dead one? Who the hell knows. The number is certainly greater than 0, and less than 85M.

On this subject, I have a friend who has no idea if he wants to keep his new XB1S, but good thing for him he kept his OG Sunset Overdrive X1 (which he traded his Day 1 model for). He likes using Skype and Kinect, and somehow he had no idea there was no Kinect port on the S.

Will there be a Kinect port on Scorpio?

They could have been 360 owners and ps4 owners too and they trade in their console for Xbox one S

Azzanation said:
Azuren said:
37% were just people upgrading? That's a pretty big number, I thought the UHD drove would attract more new users than that.

63% new buyers isnt a small amount. Thats pretty good especially since the Slim is selling well. I put it under a good success and im sure MS do aswell. 

Number will only increase with more 4k content hitting the homes.

This is for trade in only, It doesn't include the people that sold their console by other means like eBay.

Jranation said:
SWORDF1SH said:
This will just cause a dip in XB1 sales as cheap second hand Xbox ones flood the market.

How often do you think gamers buy preowned consoles? I have never bought one (just preowned games) 

Obviously people do buy them or they would not offer trade ins for them.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Thats not a good thing.
It means their userbase didnt grow 40% or whatever instead.
Its the same people, so MS wont see benefits off of more game sales or services from those sales.

I actually think Sony is smart when they didnt change anything really with the slim compaired to the older ps4.

Those that already have a PS4, if they are looking for a premium experiance (compaired to their OG PS4) will instead be tempted by the Neo.