By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you still impressed by Zelda Breath of the Wild?

BraLoD said:
curl-6 said:

I don't like games just because they're called "Zelda". I didn't like Wind Waker or Majora's Mask at all. 

My reasons for being excited for this, as I have explained at length multiple times, are all to do with the nuances and clever touches in how you interact with the game world, which has nothing to do with it being a Zelda game.

Which are scopes of others games already released that you are not calling the most impressive things you saw in years, but you are now with Zelda.
I'm not saying you just like it because it's Zelda, but because it's Zelda you and lots more of people can look to things with more attention and give more care about, thus voicing it.

The fact that much, if not every single thing, present on this game has already been part of other games and people just noticing them now because they are in a strong brand franchise, is what I'm reffering to.

So the concepts praised now pretty much already exist and people aren't calling them the best game in years, which is exactly why I'm saying I strongly doubt you, and a lot of other people because it's not related to your persona but related to the matter, would not be saying the same things, because they already aren't.

Well I only got into Zelda like two years ago and before that was very interested in open world and pseudo-open world games and I agree with curl that BotW's nuanced interactions are quite impressive.  I mean, if other games have those features on this level of seamless integration, please name them.  Cause I don't know of any.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
leyendax69 said:

By most people I didn't mean here or another gaming site, but the average gamer that's not a nintendo fan necessarily. I don't know you to be sure if that's true or not.

I'm sure there are some who are primarily interested because it's Zelda, but there have been other Zelda games that did not get nearly as much attention and hype as this one, so I think there's a lot more to it than brand power alone.

Yes it looks good, but you have to admit all the wii u/nx drama also got the game a huge amount of attention. People was hyping up this console from the very first moment without knowing shit about it, so the same thing is going to happen with arguably the best nintendo franchise that will be getting a new entry after many years and also with skyward sword being underwhelming to many

leyendax69 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm sure there are some who are primarily interested because it's Zelda, but there have been other Zelda games that did not get nearly as much attention and hype as this one, so I think there's a lot more to it than brand power alone.

Yes it looks good, but you have to admit all the wii u/nx drama also got the game a huge amount of attention. People was hyping up this console from the very first moment without knowing shit about it, so the same thing is going to happen with arguably the best nintendo franchise that will be getting a new entry after many years and also with skyward sword being underwhelming to many

Before E3 it did have the expected hype as the first HD/open world Zelda, and as a Wii U/NX project, but it wasn't until this E3 blew the lid off the gameplay possibilities it offered that the hype really went into overdrive.

BraLoD said:
Nuvendil said:

Well I only got into Zelda like two years ago and before that was very interested in open world and pseudo-open world games and I agree with curl that BotW's nuanced interactions are quite impressive.  I mean, if other games have those features on this level of seamless integration, please name them.  Cause I don't know of any.

Minecraft, Don't Starve, Rust, 

The "on this level of seamless integration" is purely a subjective pov, which doesn't make the possibilities of gameplay interaction weight any different.

Those games don't seem as organic or nuanced in the way they implement their interactions though. Minecraft is a big set of LEGO blocks with different values, hence it is by nature quite digital in its logic, while Don't Starve and Rust seem more simplistic in terms of what can interact and how. For example, you can set vegetation on fire in Don't Starve, but does the fire then spread in accordance with the wind or lack thereof, and can you use the rising warm air to fly, as you can in BotW?

BraLoD said:
Nuvendil said:

Minecraft, Don't Starve, Rust, 

The "on this level of seamless integration" is purely a subjective pov, which doesn't make the possibilities of gameplay interaction weight any different.

I think Curl answered this quite well, but to be specific, you seem to focus entirely on the crafting and survival aspects which isn't really what I was talking about (seriously, Minecraft and Don't Starve are barely similar).  I mean things like the wind based fire propagation, updrafts, etc and how you can make use of them.  Those sorts of things that are entirely triggered by *you*.  There isn't one or two special "shriveled trees" you can cut down like in, say, Pokémon, you can cut down any tree.  And do it correctly and you could create a bridge to a new area or kill an enemy or block a path.  Set fire to a patch of grass, jump off your horse, and use your hang glider to clear a gorge or sail over a boss or get the head start needed to make a climb up a cliff possible.  That's what I mean by seamless integration.  These are things you can just *do* anywhere in the gameworld to find unique solutions to combat or traversal challenges.  And that's not a purely subjective pov, it's a demonstrable aspect of the game's design.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Mbolibombo said:

Beating Witcher 3 is a hard task for sure, but why on earth cant it be better than Horizon as you put it? 

Graphics. The answer is always graphics.

Well I don't really care for graphics, if that was the case I would have a super PC or a PS4, in fact I play the witcher 3 in medium on my PC. Gameplay and story could be better in Horizon, I mean what are you going to do in zelda? rescue zelda and have a complicate story that doesn't really have a chronological order.

David_Hernandeez said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Well I don't really care for graphics, if that was the case I would have a super PC or a PS4, in fact I play the witcher 3 in medium on my PC. Gameplay and story could be better in Horizon, I mean what are you going to do in zelda? rescue zelda and have a complicate story that doesn't really have a chronological order.

Really, the story? You know nothing about the story of this game to begging with. The chronological order of the saga is a problem for you? seriously? Now that's just nitpicking.  I have way more confidence on Nintendo EAD when it comes to gameplay than Guerrilla, I mean, just compare the historial of both, nothing I´ve seen makes me think it will be different this time, at least until we see more of both.

Goodnightmoon said:
Mbolibombo said:

Beating Witcher 3 is a hard task for sure, but why on earth cant it be better than Horizon as you put it? 

It's not exactly the graphics. It's the visual. They're are ignoring everything that's in the game like fluidly animation, real time interaction with almost every single element, weather effects, physics, etc... The only thing that impress (and matters to) them is realistic visuals 

We reap what we sow

Yes, I'm impressed - still! Nintendo is doing things that other developers (with more experience from open world games) haven't done, and it seems like they're doing it damn fine!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

After actually having played it i'm quite impressed by the feel of the game.
I'm way more looking towards the release right now than half a year ago.