By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I'm playing Danganronpa... (My Progression)

WC4Life said:
LivingMetal said:
I just spoiled the game to myself. It was purely by accident and absolutely unintended

I'm not going to confirm anything, whether you spoiled yourself or not...but it's not an exaggeration when new players are informed to stay away anything DanganRonpa related. It could be one sentence they read or one picture they see that could spoil the plot-twists and it can never be experienced again. Those WTF-moments, where the player pretty much has to put the game away and take a few minutes breather to think it over, think how the smallest details now suddenly makes a world of difference and ask yourself: "How did I miss that?", that experience will be lost forever...For that reason I don't know anything about the anime, like it could be a prelude to D3 or not...I don't know but I'm not going to risk it, not even the smallest search.

I'm at the end of Chapter 5 and so much has happened.  Normally, I go home for lunch so of course I turn the PlayStationTV on. I'm in the middle of the class trial.  I'll probably restart the trial when I go home tonight.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
I loved the concept of the game but thought it could have been executed better, solid 7/10.

But I must say the final court room case and the ending was very good and made up for what I thought was a fairly lacking second half of the game.

I really should get round to playing the next games in the series.

How the trials play out gameplaywise is an interesting take on "shooting down" your opponent's argument.  I've never seen anything like this before, but I do have an issue with Bullet Time Battle.  I'm a fan of music/rhythm games like Project Diva.  But the method of having to keep tempo during Bullet Time Battle seems like a forced effort to have variety during the trial.  Aesthetically, I cannot find how this is a good fit for a game like this.

LivingMetal said:

How the trials play out gameplaywise is an interesting take on "shooting down" your opponent's argument.  I've never seen anything like this before, but I do have an issue with Bullet Time Battle.  I'm a fan of music/rhythm games like Project Diva.  But the method of having to keep tempo during Bullet Time Battle seems like a forced effort to have variety during the trial.  Aesthetically, I cannot find how this is a good fit for a game like this.

Yeah the 'action' sequences inside the court battles was just annoying and unwanted. But my issue with how it is executed is more to do with structure, I won't go into detail at risk of spoiling.

LivingMetal said:
Barkley said:
I loved the concept of the game but thought it could have been executed better, solid 7/10.

But I must say the final court room case and the ending was very good and made up for what I thought was a fairly lacking second half of the game.

I really should get round to playing the next games in the series.

That's the part that hurts the second game a bit, especially compared to the first one.  They expand upon the action-style sequences of the trials a bit and the game is worse for it imo.  I would rather they just focus on the shooting down portion and allow for the story to keep telling itself without forced in mini-game formats.

Started chapter 6.  Let's just say that Monokuma is breaking his own rules  I believe Mokoto didn't commit the murder in Chapter 5.  So since he didn't, the other classmates should have been executed when they all wrongfully found Mokoto guilty, but that didn't happen.  Obviously, it was all a set up as Kyoko implied earlier.  Near the end now.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Mukuro Ikusaba. The sixteenth student. Lying hidden somewhere in this school. The one they call the Ultimate Despair…Watch out for her.

I've really wondered why certain video game characters become so popular when they seemingly play such a minor role such as Junko Enoshima.  The cosplays, figurines, the MMDs, etc.  She got nailed during the first chaper of the game so I'm like, "What makes her such a big deal?"  But I later had my suspicions, and I somewhat accidently spoiled to myself the most important plot twist.  I just started the second half of the last trial, and so I'm like, "Ohhhhhhhh..... I see."  Of course I had to pick the culprit before going into the second half.  And several little things lead to it such as the fake nails and the other wounds that were inflicted before the stabbing.  I'll just leave it at that for now.

Game. Finished.

My natural reaction is to hark on the things I didn't like near the end.  So I guess I might as well get those out of the way.

The second half of the last trial was too long winded.  Maybe they were trying to get the player to have a better feel of who the Mastermind was since the Mastermind reveal was pretty much at the end.  But the speeches went on and on and on about the same thing without adding any substance to the topic at hand which was the conditions outside of the school.  I was like if you're going to go on about something, stop wasting my time and give us some specifics.

Amnesia.  Usually when you employ amnesia in a storyline, anything could have happened  without any clues to both the characters and player.  So there's nothing to draw from from a player's standpoint, and the writers can come up with anything during that "unknown" time that you'll have to accept.  I just didn't see the point in amnesia in this game.  I felt like it was a cheap way of introducing a plot twist.  What it really boils down to is that you really don't understand why things have gotten as far as they did because you "forgot."  Lame.  Yes, there were a few clues, but it was still a weak attempt to introduce a plot twist.

Overall comcept, a great game.  I have all the DanganRonpas to date, and I've omly finished the first one.  But because I enjoyed the first and what little I know of the other two, I feel like my purchase of all three games will be worth it.