By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Kingsglaive: FFXV - A Box Office Flop? RT: 8% Meta: 35

you trust these 100% western reviewers for a japanese cgi movie?

Around the Network

I really liked the film, it's definitely an introduction to the game's lore, and I was entertained enough. I'm not sure what's so bad about it tbh XD.

onionberry said:
it's not for movie critics, this is for fans and gamers.

Which means it will do badly with critics and be a box office flop. Because the core fans alone arenot enough make this a finsncial success.

But let's not forget the thread about what video game movie will finally get a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a few FF fans predicted Kingsglaive would get that. So it seems people are only now saying that this is not a critic friendly movie.

The movie isn't even going to make $1 million in the USA. That's a whole other level of fail which makes Ratchet and Clank look like a success.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Goodnightmoon said:
OttoniBastos said:
I don't want to play devil's advocate but this is a japanese made CGI prequel for a japanese video game.It is definitely not western movie reviewers cup of tea.

I'm not saying this movie is good(specially because i don't even expect the game to be good after 10,12 and 13) but it is not something that you expect non weeabos to enjoy. It's like asking roger ebert to review a shonen and expect anything more than harsh criticism.

Exactly, I think this movie is probably a big pile of shit but critic reviews are way less accurate when it comes to this kind of film so they can be ignored.

I think these is generally a bollocks view on movie critics. There are movies in all genres that get good reviews and bad reviews. A reviewer looks for common things that objectively make for a good movie: Narative and narrative structure, acting quality, plot, character development, script, pacing and other things. Giving a movie a pass because "western critics don't understand" ignores all the Japanese movies that have got good reviews.

Ghost in the Shell, for instance, has a 95% Rotten Tomatoes. You can bet your life that the Hollywood version of Ghost in the Shell won't get enything like 95%, yet it will be injected with all sorts of "western" flavour. But by your thinking GitS Hollywood version should get better reviews than the original.

Hayao Miyazaki's lowest rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes is 83%. I'm thinking there is no western director alive or dead who can claim that. And we're talking 16 movies. Not a lucky fluke with 2 or 3 movies.

The thing with fans is that they are more willing to overlook some of the movie making 101 rooky mistakes that these movies make, which earns the ire of critics and therefor call it a good movie when it fails on so many movie-making basics.

Everyone likes some movies despite their failings, and even knowing their failings. But that does not deligitimise the criticisms of reviewers who didn't choose to overlook these failings.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
onionberry said:

Which means it will do badly with critics and be a box office flop. Because the core fans alone arenot enough make this a finsncial success.

But let's not forget the thread about what video game movie will finally get a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a few FF fans predicted Kingsglaive would get that. So it seems people are only now saying that this is not a critic friendly movie.

The movie isn't even going to make $1 million in the USA. That's a whole other level of fail which makes Ratchet and Clank look like a success.

Country
(click to view weekend breakdown)
Dist. Release
Date
Opening
Wknd
% of
Total
Total Gross / As Of
FOREIGN TOTAL - N/A n/a - n/a N/A
Australia Madman 8/25/16 $175,047 100% $175,047 8/28/16
Japan Aniplex 7/9/16 $353,433 38.9% $907,524 7/17/16
New Zealand Madman 8/25/16 $43,908 96.1% $45,699 9/4/16
South Korea - 8/25/16 $10,710 73.5% $14,570 8/28/16
Turkey Bir Film 8/19/16 $66,583 46.6% $142,841 9/11/16

That is the box office in some countries. I don't think that Square expect it to be a success. But that is a good thing to spend their marketing budged.

Around the Network

I dunno, if they are calling this a marketing spend and hence financial return isn't needed or expected then I wonder if it's money wisely spent. The same money could have gone into much more effective marketing than producing a critically panned, box office flop.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
onionberry said:

Movie critics shouldn't be reviewing it.  They don't provide any useful feedback for it because of what it is.  It may be on the big screen, but it's not a movie for the sake of a stand alone title.  I think the critics caught on eventually because you can see the mention of what the movie is for in some of their reviews.  There aren't that many that even reviewed the movie.  I think they realized (hopefully) they done fudged.

Also, movies are a lot of things.  While a good story is the number one thing to look for, there are other aspects of movies that while more shallow can make for an enjoyable experience.  

Seriously, in what universe does a movie that does quite a lot of things well get a fucking 10 out of 100?  A 1 out of 10 basically..  That is a score that should be used for completely offensive movies or broken movies that are clearly unfinished, or are completely boring and offer nothing redeemable..none of which Kingsglaive is.

Looking at rotten tomatoes the overall score is actually closer to a 5/10 actually. 

Average Rating: 4.8/10
Reviews Counted: 15

Lube Me Up

Just consider it the intro cinematic to FFXV and it might as well be the best intro ever.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
binary solo said:

Movie critics shouldn't be reviewing it.  They don't provide any useful feedback for it because of what it is.  It may be on the big screen, but it's not a movie for the sake of a stand alone title.  I think the critics caught on eventually because you can see the mention of what the movie is for in some of their reviews.  There aren't that many that even reviewed the movie.  I think they realized (hopefully) they done fudged.

Also, movies are a lot of things.  While a good story is the number one thing to look for, there are other aspects of movies that while more shallow can make for an enjoyable experience.  

Seriously, in what universe does a movie that does quite a lot of things well get a fucking 10 out of 100?  A 1 out of 10 basically..  That is a score that should be used for completely offensive movies or broken movies that are clearly unfinished, or are completely boring and offer nothing redeemable..none of which Kingsglaive is.

Looking at rotten tomatoes the overall score is actually closer to a 5/10 actually. 

Average Rating: 4.8/10
Reviews Counted: 15

Not many people reviewed it because it was barely on, particularly in the USA where most Rotten Tomatoes reviewers live. Its peak Theatre count was just 26. Its impressive that 15 reviewers actually got to see it.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
onionberry said:
it's not for movie critics, this is for fans and gamers

I think you are ignoring an important factor. Kingsglaive had a very limited release. 26 theatres in comparison to Ratchet&Clank 2895 theatres. Which speaks volumes about the purpose of the movie and SE expectations. That comparison is simply not valid.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=kingsglaive.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ratchetandclank.htm

Edit: Ah. Nevermind me. I see you are already aware of that.