By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Biggest gaming franchise in japan for 8th gen Hardware

8th gen hardware =  3ds , Vita , WiiU and Ps4.

It is Monster Hunter with over 12 million copies sold.

MH3G = 2m + MH4 = 4.1m + MH4G = 2.7m + MHX = 3.3m ,and Pokemon might be able to surpass it with Sun/Moon but for now MH is the king of Japan.

monster sales for monster franchise

Around the Network

Surprisingly have never played a game in the series

What is it like? Is it any fun? I might try it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Yo-kai Watch could beat that fairly easily with the remaining legs of Yo-kai Watch 3 and the inevitable third version this Holiday. The franchise is at like 10.5m right now without digital sales.

Boutros said:

Yo-kai Watch could beat that fairly easily with the remaining legs of Yo-kai Watch 3 and the inevitable third version this Holiday. The franchise is at like 10.5m right now without digital sales.

I'm not including frontier series/WiiU Hd version and Mh dairy game probably around 300-500k marks, also with upcoming Mh stories . Judging by current situation Youkai watch unlikely to surpass it with level 5 doom cycles starting to affect toward YW franchise . 

PokéMon XY sold 4.5 million and ORAS 3 million, there is a strong chance Moon/Sun will sells +5 million.

That's could be >12.5 million, and only from the main series...

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
hershel_layton said:
Surprisingly have never played a game in the series

What is it like? Is it any fun? I might try it out.

I've only ever played Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii U. And for me it was quite possibly the worst game I've ever played...

I loved MH tri, played like 250hours in two months. i was awake in the morning to get some seeds, honey and herbs to make potion and traps. Then I went to work. Once back home in the evening, I could hunt online for hours.

The game is addictive, you hunt big monsters in arena. You have to learn their behaviour, how they move, define a strategy. There's a solo part, and a multiplayer part, which is extremely funnty with friends or random player.

You don't gain experience like any RPG. Instead, when you kill a monster, you can get some ressources from it, and wih those you can craft new gear, weapons and armor. It's a skill based game, very engaging one. 

I played only MH tri, but I'd instabuy any another entry on PC from Capcom !

Strictly speaking, it's second behind Mario.

By VGChartz numbers, Monster Hunter is at 10.91 million on the 3DS and 0.22 million for the Wii U.

Mario games are at 9.87 million for the 3DS, and 4.69 million for the Wii U, totalling 14.69 million. If you count Luigi's mansion as part of the mario series - which is sensible - add 1.1 million to that and get 15.79 million.

Interestingly, Pokemon isn't third with its 8.69 million, Yokai Watch is, with its 9.46 million.

Pineapple said:

Strictly speaking, it's second behind Mario.

By VGChartz numbers, Monster Hunter is at 10.91 million on the 3DS and 0.22 million for the Wii U.

Mario games are at 9.87 million for the 3DS, and 4.69 million for the Wii U, totalling 14.69 million. If you count Luigi's mansion as part of the mario series - which is sensible - add 1.1 million to that and get 15.79 million.

Interestingly, Pokemon isn't third with its 8.69 million, Yokai Watch is, with its 9.46 million.

Yo-Kai Watch is at 10.9m right now without digital sales.

I expected a top 10 or 20 ranking, ended up disappointed.