By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Britney Spears announces her 9th Studio Album

OdinHades said:

Exciting times for all Britney fans on the forum - both of us! Just today the queen of pop announced her new album "Glory". It will be available 8/26 and is available for pre-order right now! I already pre-ordered, of course, and we also get the new song "Private Show" which Britney already teased when introducing her new perfume of the same name. So far, I love it and I can't wait for the album to arrive! Anyone else excited? I'll post my thoughts on the new album here as soon as it's available!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
OdinHades said:

Exciting times for all Britney fans on the forum - both of us! Just today the queen of pop announced her new album "Glory". It will be available 8/26 and is available for pre-order right now! I already pre-ordered, of course, and we also get the new song "Private Show" which Britney already teased when introducing her new perfume of the same name. So far, I love it and I can't wait for the album to arrive! Anyone else excited? I'll post my thoughts on the new album here as soon as it's available!

Whoops. Just watched the video. Guess that's true.

She's still a thing?

(Just a rhetorical question, I already got my answer just my looking at this thread and I thought so anyway. I just hadn't heard of her in a really long time.)

OdinHades said:
-snip-

Well, she has indeed a better voice than the artists you mentioned if you ask me. Also there's no denying that she has some serious talent as a singer. And singing isn't as easy as many people think it is. Trust me, I tried it, I failed miserably. =D

Hey, it's your opinion, and maybe you prefer her singing, but on a technical level she most definitely doesn't have a better voice than all of them.

Paul McCartney for one is a very impressive singer. He used to have great high notes (He's loosig them with age though, wich is hearbreaking to hear. I think imitating Johns singing style for too long has ruined his voice in the long term.) and a very big range. George Harrison also is a very good singer, even though he got overshadowed by the other two. John Lennon is the only (singing) Beatle that isn't technically a very good singer.

I honestly don't think Britney in her prime would have been able to hold a candle to Paul in his, but I might be wrong.

It's complicated by the fact that Britney is so produced and autotuned, that it's hard to tell how well she actually sings anymore. Compare that to someone like Beyonce who (if you like her or not) is a powerhouse live and does not rely on heavy autotuning on her records. She manages danceroutines like Britneys and actually sounds great (although personally I don't like her much. I think her singing style is too agressive, to be pleasant.), wich is very hard to pull off. To be fair she is one of very few in the industry, who can do this.

That is to say, Britney used to be a terrific enterainer, wich is a talent in itself. I just wouldn't call her a very good musician or even singer anymore really. It's nice to see her try to come more into her own though.

SuperNova said:

[…]

Yeah, the thing is, I adore Britney's voice so much, it's enough for me to just hear her talking and my brain melts. So for me personally, she wouldn't even need to be good at singing. But actually I also like her technique. I love the variety she brings to the table. Which is something I miss when it comes to many high-praised singers like Beyonce or Christina Aguilera. I'm not into them as much as I'm into Britney quite honestly, so I might be wrong with the following. But everytime I heard them, they were screaming way too much for my taste. I mean some of the sounds are impressive, but I couldn't lose the feeling that they always sound the same without too many experiments on their part. I can't shake the feeling that they are getting praised just for their screaming for the most part. But like I said, I might be wrong.

Anyway, to each their own. If there are singers that are absolutely 100 % by objective standards superior to Britney, so be it. But it's not like I would care. I still like her better. In the end she is very unique and hits a nerve on me. That's all that counts at the end of the day. I like the music and I still refuse to not be excited for the new album, no matter how many people try to convince me that the music isn't good. It's like trying to convince a PlayStation Fanboy to buy an Xbox. It just won't happen, sorry. =D

Still no new info on the tracklist. Damn, I can't wait! I hope we get at least another track in the next two weeks!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Make that three of us as love Britney

Well at least this thread was good for a laugh

OdinHades said:
Soundwave said:
Didn't her last album tank? I'll still take her over the Taylor Swift's of the world though.

Well, it tanked by Britney standards but still sold millions and millions of units, getting gold in numerous countries and even platinum in Brazil. It depends on how you define tanked, I guess.

As a huge britney fan, it's very hard for me to said this but the album's performance was bad, very bad (at least in the USA).  In my opinion, it's her worst album.

I've huge expectations for this album, though. Will pre-order it today.

OdinHades said:

SuperNova said:

[…]

Yeah, the thing is, I adore Britney's voice so much, it's enough for me to just hear her talking and my brain melts. So for me personally, she wouldn't even need to be good at singing. But actually I also like her technique. I love the variety she brings to the table. Which is something I miss when it comes to many high-praised singers like Beyonce or Christina Aguilera. I'm not into them as much as I'm into Britney quite honestly, so I might be wrong with the following. But everytime I heard them, they were screaming way too much for my taste. I mean some of the sounds are impressive, but I couldn't lose the feeling that they always sound the same without too many experiments on their part. I can't shake the feeling that they are getting praised just for their screaming for the most part. But like I said, I might be wrong.

Anyway, to each their own. If there are singers that are absolutely 100 % by objective standards superior to Britney, so be it. But it's not like I would care. I still like her better. In the end she is very unique and hits a nerve on me. That's all that counts at the end of the day. I like the music and I still refuse to not be excited for the new album, no matter how many people try to convince me that the music isn't good. It's like trying to convince a PlayStation Fanboy to buy an Xbox. It just won't happen, sorry. =D

Still no new info on the tracklist. Damn, I can't wait! I hope we get at least another track in the next two weeks!

I'm glad you enjoy her so much! :) I wasn't trying to convert you btw, just trying to give credit where credit is due.

And yes, she has a very interesting technique while singing. It gives her an instantly reconizable unique sound. Her voice is actually pretty deep (well, her strongest range is, anyways), but she lightens it up and sings very high for her natural register. Sort of like Lana del Rey in reverse. And she's very spunky, wich I like about her.

I agree about Christina and Beyonce and the 'screaming'. Like I said I don't enjoy Beyonces live performances, even if she is a very good singer. I like some of her songs though, she usually tones it down for the studio.

Also, no worries about your taste in music! Heck I used to have a veeeery soft spot for Katy Perry at some point and I'm usually into grade A+ mopey industrial, alternative/grunge and rock. As far as I'm concerned it's all good as long as you enjoy it. (I admittedly wished a terrible fate upon Lady Gaga during her Pokerface/Alejandro phase though, god that was grating to me.)

I hope you enjoy the new album when it's out! I'll be sure to give it a listen.

She doesn't look much like herself in that cover.

I'm not a Britney fan anymore (used to when I was 8 or 9 years old, moved on from her and pretty much everyone else that was around at the time), but I still find Work Bitch! hilarious to this day. The video is a mess, the lyrics are trying to be ''work if you want that money, bitch'' but are so cheesy. I remember it was supposed to bring her ''back to form'' with the stiff dancing, etc. But at least the "You better work bitch" can be used pretty much whenever you want.

Hopefully it'll do better than her last album, of course... Given that she does work for it, bitch.

OMG, and I love reading the meltdowns when people try to discredit pop music all the time. As if mainstream, commercial, girl/gay appealing music was supposed to be a display of someone's music theory skills. I guess Britney encourages that type of comments with how she hasn't sung live in ages.