By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is it considered embarrassing to live with your parents after a certain age in your culture?

In the US that age has been going up over the last couple of decades since it's gotten more and more difficult to get an education and get your life together.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

I don't see anything wrong if people live with their parents and they help with the bills, but if they don't wanna work or help then that's embarrassing. I'm Italian from NJ, we stay together. Although I rent an apt in NY, rent is not cheap, so if one day I wanna comeback I will comeback (i don't wanna comeback). People should stop thinking about what others think, if you think it's embarrassing then that's a problem for you and you need to get out for your own good, if you're ok with it then good. Your culture or the society is not going to pay your bills, then don't know if your parents need your help etc etc. they just want something to judge.

In chile you get your university title at 24-25 if everything goes right, and most people don't travel since most schools are in the same city (meaning we don't have a "going away to college" culture.

It takes a while until you can start paying things by yourself so it's pretty common to stay with your parents up until late 20s

I personally don't mind where people are living until a certain age. It's their life not mine. Sadly, I know some people who think they have the privilege of telling them how to live their life.
But everyone has their own reason why he still lives with his parents or parent.
I for instance live alone in a 3 room apartment. Around 72m^2 all for myself.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

It isn't set in stone, that's for sure. I grew up in rural Canada, where it is very common for 3 generations of a family to live and farm the same land. I was close to many families who lived on the same block of property as their parents/grandparents did, and expected to inherit the land and do the same in the future. This isn't the same for every farming family however, and it is different for urban kids. Some live with their parents as they pull through Uni if they decide to go to post-secondary within the same city. Others move away and dorm it or find housemates.

I moved out when I was 17 (Baseball calling), but I had intended to live at home for one more year to work my butt off and save money. I had been working 2 jobs every day while finishing HS (and that summer) to save up money to support myself (I paid my own Baseball fees and living expenses, bought my own car etc. I was able to do this because I saved money working while living at home). I also work year-round while in Uni while I try to avoid Student Loans by any means possible. I reallllly want to exit Uni debt free if I can help it.

North America is very much about the individual becoming independent and successful on their own. In education, in career, in finances, in romance etc: society expects us to make it on our own. That's nearly impossible though. I rely on financial support from my family for tuition, and I completely understand why many choose to live at home while they study. Society expects us to do a lot on our own, and we only have so much time and money.

My opinion on living at home hinges around how productive you are being, and the circumstances surrounding. If you sit on your ass all day doing nothing to help out yourself or your family then you damn well should be embarrassed. If you work your butt off to support your family with chores, and at least attempt to find a job to pad your wallet, then I wouldn't put an age limit on your time at home. However, due to the Western paradigm of individual success, society will judge you once you graduate high school.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

It was more embarrassing then it is now. But since our government (in Belgium) has been on a cutting spree that mainly affects middle-class families and housing prices have been steadily rising (some cities are just too expensive due to gentrification), having your own house is quite expensive unless you go look in suburbia.

Brazil. Here the ridiculous thing is if you need financial support from your parents after 25 at the most.
If they are sick and you take care of them or if they are so poor that you have to shelter them in your home, then it is not embarassing at all.

I live alone since 14, almost 20 years already, but most of people living with their parents here do it because they can not afford to live on their own.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Ireland it's not seen as embarrassing. It's seen as cost effective. Maybe those who are insecure about themselves are embarrassed but apart from the boom years which ended with the 2008 recession it was never really seen as a bad thing.

onionberry said:

I don't see anything wrong if people live with their parents and they help with the bills, but if they don't wanna work or help then that's embarrassing. I'm Italian from NJ, we stay together. Although I rent an apt in NY, rent is not cheap, so if one day I wanna comeback I will comeback (i don't wanna comeback). People should stop thinking about what others think, if you think it's embarrassing then that's a problem for you and you need to get out for your own good, if you're ok with it then good. Your culture or the society is not going to pay your bills, then don't know if your parents need your help etc etc. they just want something to judge.

Italian from New Jersey, that is so Jon Bon Jovi like, I love it =)

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

It used to be embarassing to be living with your parents after reaching 25 or so in the past here in Luxembourg, but since the real estate prices started to skyrocket in the late 80's this started to switch. Now with housing costing about 10 times more than 20 years ago (inflation alone only would have about doubled the price), it's getting increasingly hard to find a decent appartement (let alone a house) unless being married and both partners having a decent job.