By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I believe Apple should buy Nintendo.

Arminillo said:
KLXVER said:

I doubt it. They have very little interest in the gaming industry.

But they have interest in evergreen property, and i would think they could make good money off of pokemon, mario, and zelda licensing.

EDIT: its not like they were interested in comic books when they bought Marvel.

Thats because they know that in order for the Nintendo franchises to stay good, they desperately need the talent of Nintendo. They cant just churn out games like they do Marvel movies.

Around the Network
Low78wagon said:
LOL. Not paying apple prices for Nintendo stuff. Nintendo's games are already pricey enough.

True

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Pemalite said:
LurkerJ said:

I disagree, I am certainly happier with my premium iPhone than I was with my premium Samsung.

We aren't talking about individual user happiness here. We are talking about the technical merits of a platform...  But I will bite.

For every person who is happy with their iOS device, there are probably 10 others on Android due to how much larger the Android ecosystem is, it's a simple numbers game. ;)

LurkerJ said:
99% of Android phones released with SD 810 had embarrassing issues with heating up and throttling, were buyers getting good value for their money? Not to mention, they were getting a much inferior GPU, but let's not mention those facts.

You assume that every Android device used the Snap Dragon 810 chip.

And yes, it was a poor chip, I can give criticism where criticism is actually due.

LurkerJ said:

Let's pretend that only iPhone users get the shortest end of the stick in every scenario and there is nothing superior about the iPhone experience.

I have provided praise for iOS devices in multiple aspects where they are indeed superior to it's competitors, perhaps you are blowing this out of proportion?

My evidence is a little more ancedotal.

And we both know that the best selling device isn't necessarily always the best.

So now that I have proven that their screens are inferior on a technical basis, you just brush it away? Sure. Alright... haha

Android Screens in High-end Devices are simply superior and often not just in regards to resolution either, often they have better blacks, whites, higher gamut, higher brightness, better colour. etc'.
And that means you do get a better screen than what just the resolution implies.

The fact still remains (And for the love of God, stop shifting the damn goal post) that the iPhone's camera is inferior relative to the competition, regardless of how much they sold.
That fact doesn't change whether the Lumia 1020 only sold 1 phone or a billion.

And I do know that there are more to Camera's than sheer megapixels, such as aperture size, various features like image stabilization... You name it.

But if you can name an iPhone which had the *best* camera on the market bar-none, after the Lumia 1020's release, I will drop this point of argument.

It can still occur on the 6s, but with 2Gb it's going to be far more rare untill iOS and Apps get more demanding or you simply run more, 2016 was better late then never for Apple to finally do such a vital upgrade, huh?

Oppo is on the right track with 6Gb or more.

iPhone does have an impressive SoC.

Apple was also NOT the first phone to have a Fingerprint Scanner with it's Touch ID branded tech.
The Motorola Atrix released in 2011 beat Apple by several years.

I also had a laptop powered by the Pentium M over a decade ago with a "Touch ID" like fingerprint scanner, it's not a new technology by any stretch.
I will concede that Apple was the first company to make a decent implementation with mass market appeal.

I also touched upon iOS having superior updates and software support, not sure why you brought that up? You are only agreeing with me.

From a hardware perspective though, the fact remains you get more value for money with Android devices, bigger screens, larger battery's, better screens, various hardware features like touch-screen pens, optical camera zoom, replaceable batteries, MicroSD, USB, Dual-SIM and more.

Lastly... For the love of God, please use quotes properly, it will make replying easier.

Soundwave said:
To be honest the screen resolution stuff is overblown too ... the iPhone 6S with 1080P on a 5.5 inch screen is a ton of freaking pixels per inch for a display that small. Yes the Galaxy and some Android phones have 1440P, but it's not as if the iPhone display isn't gorgeous still and the iPhone 7 will likely have a resolution bump too, the Galaxy is on a upgrade cycle curve that is usually 6-8 months ahead of new iPhone models because they need that extra time ahead of Apple.

There is more to the Androids having superior screens than just the resolution though.
Better Blacks, Whites, Colour, Brightness, Contrast, Response time, Gamut... Android typically beats the iPhone in more than just the sheer resolution numbers game...

The great thing with Android is that it also essentially competes with itself, meaning that manufacturers will constantly try to "One up" each other in the hardware stakes, the downside to this of course is also hardware fragmentation that software developers need to be mindful of.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge just for the record. My fiance had an iPhone 6S. It's not like I pick up her iPhone and go "OMG! WHAT AN UGLY DISPLAY!". I actually kinda like the more natural, less color saturated look of the iPhone. The Samsung AMOLEDs are nice, but they are sometimes garrish as fuck with the color oversaturation. 

Her iPhone has better battery life in a lot of situations too, on our last vacation we had to use our GPS for our rental car, and my Galaxy was ripping through battery like crazy, whereas her iPhone could use its Maps app and we could leave it on for 2-4 hours of driving daily and she still never ran out of battery and she was using the phone like crazy to take photos and check her apps too throughout the day.

ebw said:
thismeintiel said:

Listening to all this Apple vs Android is pretty funny when you consider Android owns like 80%+ of the WW mobile OS market. So, yea, an Apple console with Nintendo games MAY mean something here in the US (though, the Apple brand didn't exactly help the Pippin), but WW it would really mean spit. The PS has pretty much reclaimed its spot as the go to gaming HW after the slip up that was last gen. As long as Sony doesn't make any major slip ups, again, which I'm sure they have learned their lesson, it's going to be extremely hard to take that away from them.

Not really.  iPhone is still an aspirational brand worldwide even though emerging markets can't yet afford as many of them as low-end Androids. Longevity and engagement is also a big factor: there may be 5 times as many Android phones sold, but the actual install base is only 2-3 times larger, and SW sales to that install base is only on par with iOS (historically it's always been lower, but I'm not up on the latest figures).  User retention and satisfaction levels remain stellar.  Apple brand is also extremely strong in Japan which is a major market for gaming, though iPhone is noticeably weaker in Europe.

But generally Apple hasn't shown any interest in getting into the games market, aside from a handful of Apple-produced casual games when the iPod classic was popular (they did hire Casamassina from IGN but that was to manage the games section of the App Store) .  Even the recent refresh to bring game developers to Apple TV showed a reticence to embrace console gaming, as they abandoned support for games that require dedicated controllers.

The effect of Apple's brand on Pippin sales is completely irrelevant to the current discussion for two reasons.  1) the Pippin did not receive much in the way of Apple branding, being sold and largely marketed by Bandai.  2) it came out in 1995, a time when Apple's brand was nearing its lowest value ever under highly dysfunctional management, and Apple has quite literally rebranded more than once since that time.  Nowadays it ranks first in brand value lists by a considerable margin (http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/list/), but 20 years ago is before the iMac, iPod and iPhone — the Apple brand then had a loyal but utterly meagre following by comparison.

Still, I'm basically just saying I don't think an Apple console would be a guaranteed hit.  I also agree that Apple wasn't the company they were today when they launched the Pippin.  Though, I think the sting from that console launch will still be in the back of their mind.