By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2016: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl LI

Who will win Super Bowl LI?

New England Patriots 51 47.66%

Kansas City Chiefs 3 2.80%

Pittsburgh Steelers 6 5.61%

Other (AFC) 3 2.80%

Dallas Cowboys 10 9.35%

Atlanta Falcons 15 14.02%

Seattle Seahawks 5 4.67%

Green Bay Packers 5 4.67%

Other (NFC) 4 3.74%

Scoreboard 5 4.67%

Total:107
RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:
Even more reason to hate Washington for losing on Monday. That Giants @ Redskins game could've been for the top wild card spot. Almost guaranteed to be meaningless for at least one of the two teams now.

You should hate Dallas for losing to the Giants. That truly ruined everything. Giants@Redskins could have been a game where both teams ended up staying at home.

I think it turned out to be a best-case situation for the Cowboys personally. Less informed Dallas fans were saying 'oh, only 1 loss after 11 wins in a row, etc, etc', but the truth is that :

Dak played well enough in game 1 to win, but a few things went wrong, and the team lost by 1 point. Then he steadily improved week on week to a truly masterful performance against the Ravens in game 9. A game, by the way, which utterly destroyed any concept of Dak being a bus driver or easily rattled by blitzing, or dependent upon Zeke. Zeke got crammed that game, and then they blitzed like mad, trying to copy how the Eagles had rattled Dak earlier in the year. Dak obliterated them with pinpoint targeting on the run for 300+ yards, 3 TDs, zero picks. He was so effective that it turned the run game back open as the Ravens defense got worn out from the constant aggressive defensive playcalls by Balt.

At THIS point, I think Dak might have started to get slightly lazy, for someone so young, it might be a little dangerous to read press on such a hot streak. It was around this time that Michael Irvin made his now famous statement that he wanted to see a loss, for a refocus/reassess/overcome gut-check. Instead, what we got was three successive weeks of decline. A mediocre bus-driver performance against WAS on Thanksgiving of about 200 yards, 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD. A fairly bad performance against the Vikings with JUST enough scambles and conversions to stay in it, which almost certainly would have been a loss without a lucky kickoff muff. And then an absolutely horrendous trainwreck of a performance against the Giants @ NJ. The Giants defense played well that night. But they weren't really as good as the Ravens and Vikings defensive efforts to be perfectly honest. They both stuffed the run and forced Dak to beat them with passes, of which he did against the Ravens, but did poorly against the Vikings. Against the Giants Zeke had nearly 100 yards in the first half, but they strangely went away from the run almost entirely in the 2nd half, and Dak was god freaking awful. His mechanics were broken, passing off his back foot, backing up in the pocket to take sacks (a huge psychological 'tell' with QBs), not rotating his hips/shoulders with passes, and missing wide-open checkdowns and slants with regularity. Combining a very good defensive effort by the Giants with a disastrous effort by Dak = loss. It's mind-boggling that it was only a 3-point loss, but IMHO : it was exactly what the Dr. ordered. Obviously the near-loss in Minnesota was not enough to refocus things, it took a true L to the face to get him kicked back into gear.

Against the Bucs his mechanics were night-and-day fixed. He looked 'back' to how we was before that 3-game dip. Not throwing off his back foot, getting good hip rotation, showing great read progression and the ability to be decisive in a flash, and completing his passing motion with no hitch.

He 'ate the cheese' I think previously, and being the focal point of a truly embarassing loss was a great dose of medicine. Lesser QBs might have crumbled from that point forward, but he overcame, learned, and improved.

The loss ALSO had the fantastic effect of making a lot of the Giants players get HUGE heads, lol. Some of the press and articles were just hilarious this past week. After Dak goofed horribly in NJ, and then they beat a banged up Lions team, they were talking all big and bad, superbowl this, blah blah blah, and seemingly forgot that Eli is an INT machine, their O line is a bad joke, and Spagnola's idea of defensive depth is to play his guys virtually every snap in a season, despite common sense and the concept of fatigue and injury risk.

I think if Dallas had won two weeks ago, it would have merely prolonged the 'believing your own press' phase of mediocre/poor performances by Dak that had begun to settle in.

But 32 of 36? Good grief. He was in full control in a game that was never even close, against a team that had annihilated the Seahawks and downed the Chiefs in an impressive 5-game win streak in which their defensive numbers were staggering, and with one of the best WRs in the league this year. If not for some self-inflicted penalties and stupid playcalls (Lucky Whitehead jet sweep needed to be erased from the playbook months ago) that game would have been a complete blowout.

The Giants have a good defense, a terrible offense, a bad QB, a bad head coach, and a top 3 WR. It will be interesting to see what they do in the off-season. I think the general idea (and one I was frankly expecting) was that their offense last year was 'good enough', and to focus on improving their defense. They did just that, but their offense went from pretty decent to horrendous for no clear reason other than McAdoo IMHO. Their defense went from atrocious to top-5 at the same time. Last year's offense with this year's defense is probably a 12+ win team. Last years defense with this year's offense is a competitor to the Cleveland Browns.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
RolStoppable said:

You should hate Dallas for losing to the Giants. That truly ruined everything. Giants@Redskins could have been a game where both teams ended up staying at home.

I think it turned out to be a best-case situation for the Cowboys personally. Less informed Dallas fans were saying 'oh, only 1 loss after 11 wins in a row, etc, etc', but the truth is that :

The Giants have a good defense, a terrible offense, a bad QB, a bad head coach, and a top 3 WR. It will be interesting to see what they do in the off-season. I think the general idea (and one I was frankly expecting) was that their offense last year was 'good enough', and to focus on improving their defense. They did just that, but their offense went from pretty decent to horrendous for no clear reason other than McAdoo IMHO. Their defense went from atrocious to top-5 at the same time. Last year's offense with this year's defense is probably a 12+ win team. Last years defense with this year's offense is a competitor to the Cleveland Browns.

Even though McAdoo is the head coach he still controls almost all the offensive play calling and makes up all the plays, the same as he did last year when the offense was moving, so I dont believe that is the problem. The Giants offense is dealing with the same fundamental problems it faced last year with absolutly no run game and a severe lack of talent on the offensive line. Eli has little time to throw and panics which is the reason for so many picks (That and Eli just makes some terrible decsions sometimes). I honestly think the main problem this year is that with so many weapons on offense Eli feels like he has to spread the wealth, instead of just feeding Odell the ball. Odell is a game changer due to his explosiveness after he catches the ball and works really well for those short slant plays that Eli is forced to do so much because of his weak OL. Last year Eli was forced to give Odell the ball in those quick plays which benefitted the teams offense because it works to Odells play style. This year Eli is dealing with players that arent that explosive in the quick offense the Giants are forced to run which leads to a lack of overall offense. 

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

I just wanted to say fuck the Giants. I'm glad they lost. If there is a team I hate most in the world I think it is the Giants. Eli can suck my dick. One of the most overrated and depends on luck quarterback. I'm glad Texas Tech beat him the two years he played us when he went to Ole Miss (who should be forced to change their fucking names, damn sore southern losers rebels).  If you like the Giants then let me know so I can avoid talking to you.

sethnintendo said:

I just wanted to say fuck the Giants. I'm glad they lost. If there is a team I hate most in the world I think it is the Giants. Eli can suck my dick. One of the most overrated and depends on luck quarterback. I'm glad Texas Tech beat him the two years he played us when he went to Ole Miss (who should be forced to change their fucking names, damn sore southern losers rebels).  If you like the Giants then let me know so I can avoid talking to you.

Damn, I'm a Patriots fan and even I'm not this bitter about the Giants.

superchunk altered:
superchunk wimpered:
NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
2 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
MIN-GB 2 SD-CLE 1 WAS-CHI 1 ATL-CAR 1
IND-OAK
2 TB-NO 2 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 1 BAL-PIT 2 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL DAL by 14

Updating TB/NO to 2 and CIN/HOU to 1.

Around the Network
NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
2 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
IND-OAK
2 TB-NO 2 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 2 BAL-PIT 2 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL DAL by 10

RolStoppable said:
NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
2 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
IND-OAK
2 TB-NO 1 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 1 BAL-PIT 1 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL 2 by 7

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

RolStoppable said:
NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
1 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
MIN-GB 1 SD-CLE 1 WAS-CHI 1 ATL-CAR 1
IND-OAK
1 TB-NO 1 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 2 BAL-PIT 2 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL

NYG-PHI 1 MIA-BUF
2 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
IND-OAK
2 TB-NO 1 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 2 BAL-PIT 2 DEN-KC 2 DET-DAL 2 by 4

I was tempted to pick a tie for 49ers vs Rams.  No one deserves to win that suckfest.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

NYG-PHI x
MIA-BUF
1 NYJ-NE 2 TEN-JAX 1
MIN-GB 2
SD-CLE 2
WAS-CHI 2
ATL-CAR 2
IND-OAK
TB-NO 1 ARI-SEA 2 SF-LA
CIN-HOU 2 BAL-PIT 1