By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A retrospective of Nintendo launches from Nes to Wii (Digital Foundry)

Most impressive launch game?

Mario Bros 12 11.21%

Super Mario World 14 13.08%

F-Zero 4 3.74%

Mario 64 56 52.34%

Waverace 2 1.87%

Luigi's Mansion 5 4.67%

Star Wars: Rogue Leader 7 6.54%

Wii Sports 7 6.54%

Total:107
MohammadBadir said:

If the N64 launched without Mario 64, I highly doubt that it would've sold what it did. 

Exactly.

Almost 40% of N64 owners had Mario 64. That's a higher attach rate than Halo on the original Xbox.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Very cool video. Wish they had delved deeper into the other milestone games like Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Goldeneye, Conkers Bad Fur Day etc. Games that really pushed the hardware technologically. But it was focused on the launch titles so all good. I love digital foundries retro videos.

I agree! DKC could have easily been an early to mid PS1 game.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

curl-6 said:
MohammadBadir said:

If the N64 launched without Mario 64, I highly doubt that it would've sold what it did. 

Exactly.

Almost 40% of N64 owners had Mario 64. That's a higher attach rate than Halo on the original Xbox.

Insert Mario Kart 8 joke here. 

But yeah, you guys got to the response before I could. SMB is spot for spot the most important game of all time, but SMB itself only becomes impressive as a game when you look at Lost Levels. Otherwise it's just a game, really. (I explain my reasoning in much more depth on my YT review of Mario 1 and LL, but in short: Without LL to show how bad Mario could've ended up with a lesser development team and less of a care for game design, Mario 1 would only be a game to be remembered for its impact, not its quality as a game.) If a game needs a subpar sequel to be impressive in a modern light, then I don't think it's the most impressive one. By that metric, Wii Sports could be the most impressive because it got so many non-gamers to buy in - it's just as true but not in a way any of us would consider particularly valid. Mario 64 directly forced the competition to adapt to true 360 degree controls - Mario 1 had no competition in many regions. 

They're both impressive for different reasons. The way I read the poll question though, I feel 64 wins. Obviously Mario 1 is more important, without it we wouldn't have a 64, but there were serviceable 2D platformers before SMB1 - there were no serviceable 3D platformers before 64. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!