By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Basileous Productions presents.........Final Fantasy VIII (PC) Review and Discussion

Tagged games:

What would you give this game from a score of 1 to 10

10 14 31.11%

9 11 24.44%

8 4 8.89%

7 7 15.56%

6 1 2.22%

5 1 2.22%

4 0 0%

3 2 4.44%

2 0 0%

1 5 11.11%

Total:45

Meh. VIII is not a bad game by any means, but it's easily the worst out of the PS1 trilogy. I really hope SE skips making a VIII remake and goes to IX. :P

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
AZWification said:

Meh. VIII is not a bad game by any means, but it's easily the worst out of the PS1 trilogy. I really hope SE skips making a VIII remake and goes to IX. :P

Well they did skip improving ff8 and didn't bother releasing it on mobiles unlike ff9 which got both treatment earlier this year ;P

Yeah, I guess so. Only the remake is left. :P

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I've probably told you already, FF VIII is my favourite Final Fantasy game and one of my favourite games of all time, altogether. While it's a shame the combat system wasn't to your taste (although I do understand and acknowledge the problems with it and how broken it can become), I'm glad you found yourself loving the story, characters and music as evidenced by your scores in them. I dunno about people, but for me FF VIII is pretty much a magical game. It has "something" that really captivated me when I first played it as a kid, and despite being a flawed game in itself, features an unrivaled charm that very few games have managed to display as well throughout these years, at least for me.

I've been really itching to replay this game since it's been a long time I last played it and my memory of Disc 2 and 3 is kind of fuzzy in a lot of aspects. Reading your review really really makes me wanna go back to it and give it a go, again (so thank you for posting it!). Wish Square-Enix ported it to modern consoles (as I've heard the Steam version trims down the Draw animation time) and would give it the FF7 treatment with a remake or HD remaster of some sort.

As I asked you in your wall, what's wrong with your income being calculated based on your SeeD rank?

Here's a random gif to show how happy I am.

Is the worst 3D mainline FF just behind FFXIII, annoying characters, a story for teenagers and a broken battle system, not for me. I give it a 5 because graphics and specially music were amazing.

FFV is getting a bum rap. It's the bestest.

Also VI is overrated.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Oh I forgot to respond to your wall post question.

Although money wasn't a issue I still prefer the traditional way in making money by winning battles rather than doing tests to increase my seed ranking lol

edit: also draw animation issue? What do you mean o.o

Hah, you don't like school-life it seems.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think Steam version greatly reduces the time Draw animation takes (like in half). It was really tedious drawing on the original PS1 game, but the Steam version speed it up to make things go more smoothly.

Goodnightmoon said:

Is the worst 3D mainline FF just behind FFXIII, annoying characters, a story for teenagers and a broken battle system, not for me. I give it a 5 because graphics and specially music were amazing.

C'moooon. Even if you dislike it very much, no way FFVIII is worse than X-2, and if you ain't into MMORPGs, XI and XIV. And it's still better than most 2D ones. While I could understand the gripe regarding certain plot devices on the story, I also don't see what's so bad about it. It features some of the best sequences in the whole franchise, coupled with one of the greatest final boss in any game.

pokoko said:

I don't think I can give FF8 more than an 8.0.  I am working from memory, however, as I haven't played it since it came out.  I should probably give it another try.  At the time, I remember not liking the main character or the setting all that much.  I did like some of the enemies and elements of the story but it also had some periods that were kind of a drag.  I did like Selphie and Quistis, though I found Rinoa bland.  The magic system was one of the worst.

The game, though not bad, was a low spot for the Final Fantasy series for the great FF6-FF10 period.

You found Rinoa bland but liked Quistis? You certainly have to replay the game. xD

Wright said:
Goodnightmoon said:

C'moooon. Even if you dislike it very much, no way FFVIII is worse than X-2, and if you ain't into MMORPGs, XI and XIV. And it's still better than most 2D ones. While I could understand the gripe regarding certain plot devices on the story, I also don't see what's so bad about it. It features some of the best sequences in the whole franchise, coupled with one of the greatest final boss in any game.

Dat motorcycle boarding scene, doe.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I was one of those people who did not really enjoy FFVII very much except the opening mission and it's superb music.

But FFVIII I loved because of the military school atmosphere, their were so many times I was so pumped up in the game. The first mission on the beach loved it, the mission where the school gets under attack and you see everyone fighting oh god loved that so much. I played that game numerous times to just play that part.

The thing that annoys me was how easy or frustrating it was just like Tales of Zestiria fusion system. If you take your time (that I mostly don't do the first time I play a game) and learn how the system works it can be incredible easy. Give your guardian forces some Tents..bam you have 100-2000 more hp and you basically have a character with + 3000 hp in the first hours of the game also fighting random battles is not needed makes the game only harder.

The game didn't feel like we are a small team trying to overcome evil thanks to my imagination back then. The school system with all the students fighting on your side made it feel like you belong to a big group. I was kind of pumped when type zero also would take place in a school kind of sytem...but that one failed on so many levels...

And yeah ofcourse FFVIII had annoying issues but I kept going on because of the music/School system and my imagination...

Final Fantasy VIII is one of my all time favorites. It's a 9/10 for me.

BasilZero said:
think-man said:
Final Fantasy VIII is one of my all time favorites. It's a 9/10 for me.

Starting final fantasy ix tomorrow!!! ;D

Ohh boy, i get all excited like a little boy at the thought of starting FFIX xD I've finished it over 5 times and started it over 10 xD