By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Darkest Nintendo franchise?

Which Nintendo franchise is, consistently, the darkest?

Metroid 83 49.70%

The Legend of Zelda 13 7.78%

Fire Emblem 10 5.99%

Earthbound 30 17.96%

Xenoblade 12 7.19%

Sin and Punishment 10 5.99%

Pikmin 7 4.19%

Star Fox 2 1.20%

Total:167

Eternal Darkness

I have not given up hope of that game becoming a franchise. It is one of the darkest games Nintendo has published.

Games I have Finished

http://pastebin.com/eMdjSjFc

Around the Network

Zelda has some dark stuff throughout the series, but not consistently. I'd give this to Metroid, unlike Link, Samus doesn't have anything to ever smile about.

Zelda and Metroid come to mind, though I'd say Zelda tends to fluctuate between dark and light hearted.

Xenoblade also has some pretty dark themes as well, especially near the end parts of the game.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Mr_No said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Only published by Nintendo, and only one game, so it's not a franchise.

Well sorry for not reading the unwritten rules.

Wright said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Only published by Nintendo, and only one game, so it's not a franchise.

There's two games actually, Madworld and Anarchy Reigns.

I remember Golden Sun in general being dark. Even when they tried flavouring the drama and such, the implications where mostly unpleasant.

Madworld isn't published by Nintendo though.

ARamdomGamer said:

Kirby series, cute exterior, but the backgrounds and lore of the franchise can get really dark.

For example in Planet Robobot, you fight against a computer gone crazy that is going to commit mass genocide on all life forms on the universe, and the guy that discovered the machine lost his daugther on an accident.

In Triple Deluxe we have a queen gone mad due to constant exposition to the dark mirror from Amazing Mirror, which made her go mad with power and beauty, betraying his loyal friend Taranza in the process.

And in most games we end up fighting against the souls of our enemies, blood bleeding eyes, the personification of nightmares, ect.

The Kirby series has had that dark lore

Pokemon maybe?

Pokemon has some of the most darkest and cruelest pokemon. Just check out pokedex entries. Drozee eats the dreams of kids, Hypno kidnaps them, Shedinja steals your soul through its back, Driftloon takes kids to the underworld, Duskull enjoys the sound of crying children, Dusknoir takes people to the underworld, Dusclops takes your soul, Honedge drains the life out of you, Phantump are the result of children who get lost in forests, Gotherita hypnotizes and steals kids to make as friends, and so on.

I can probably keep going on with how many dark things pokemon are capable of, and that's pretty crazy considering this is a game aimed at kids xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy. In the end, everyone were sucked and desintegrated in the black hole, awakening in the purgatory where everyone believes they are safe back in the Mushroom Kingdom (included Bowser), while Mario "starts" a new game (SMG2) reimagining his latest adventure frustrated as he can't remember exactly as it was.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Eternal darkness? Only one game though. ^^

xenoblade

Switch!!!

CaptainExplosion said:
SanAndreasX said:
Metroid and Fire Emblem would get my vote, overall. But Nintendo also has a knack for hiding some disturbing stuff in some of its brightest, cheeriest-looking games. Read what Shigesato Itoi said about the ending to Mother 3.

What was it he said about the ending again?

Major, major spoiler:

At the end of Mother 3, Porky seals himself inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule. One he gets in, nothing will ever be able to hurt him, and he'll live forever. But on the other hand, he can never leave the ASC, either. It's the ultimate prison. Itoi said that 5 billion years from now when the sun makes the earth otherwise inhabitable, Porky will still be alive inside the ASC, having been completely alone for all those billions of years.

Eternal darkness and Xenoblade for sure

gamertag Brainteeth

psn Brainteeth

ios Brainteeth

Nintendo Network Brainteeth

Instagram Brainteeth