By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

kitler53 said:
Soundwave said:

To play multiplayer games ON the go. That's why detachable controllers make sense. 

This device is likely designed so that you WANT people to gather around it, not to be played alone like a hermit. 

That is right in line with Nintendo's core philosphy about family/friend gaming.

Also it's something that current tablets really can't do ... so it's a nice plus for Nintendo to have (simultaenous multiplayer gaming). 

umm. no.

it's how my wife and i already play our board games.

Well you can see immediately why that concept would appeal to Nintendo, but detachable controllers would allow similar ideas with deeper/better game play (IE: Donkey Kong VS.). 

Around the Network

Sounds like this is legit by the way, IGN has confirmed they've heard the same thing as Eurogamer from a separate source.

Sounds like they just collected a bunch of rumors and put em into one article.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

jason1637 said:
JWeinCom said:

Again, why should Nintendo make decisions regarding a 10 million plus selling RPG franchise based on a <1 million selling fighting game spin off?  And why does it matter that it's selling better than Tekken (which isn't that impressive seeing as Tekken sold under 200K)?

If it sells well and is powerful, third parties may develop for it.  But, the rumors indicate that it will be well below the PS4's power.  The fact that it will use a completely different architecture raises development cost, and cartridges raise manufacturing costs.  Cutting the profits by 2-3 dollars a game is a huge disincentive to development.

Casual gamers are, by definition, casual.  Do you really think the kinds of gamers who bought Brain Age for a 150 dollar system are going to come back now that they can play it in HD on a system that will be closer to 300?  Do the kinds of people who played Wii Sports really care about taking that experience with them?  

Why exactly is the fan who didn't want a 3DS and didn't want a Wii U so much more likely to buy this?

Selling more than tekken means that people are more interested in it being pokemon than tekken.

We dont know all the specs yet so its to early to say it would increase development cost by a lot.

Yes, many casuals already game on phone/tablets.

They get both the experience of the wiiu and 3ds.

Ummmmm... who really cares about whether or not Pokemon is being bigger than Tekken?  I don't see how that's relevant at all.

Any additional barrier you make for third party development, when you already have an unproven system, is a major problem.  You want to make things as easy as possible.

Yeah, they do.  And why will those people want an NX?

And casuals don't want either of those experiences.  Putting together two things casual gamers didn't want isn't going to suddenly want to make them want it.

"Do you like pineapples?"

"No."

"Do you like pizza?"

"No."

"Do you want a pineapple pizza?"

"HELL YEAH!"

If Nintendo wants to get casuals back, they need something different.  Not just a combination of two products that failed to get them.

vivster said:

IGN has confirmed they've heard the same thing as Eurogamer (portable console with detachable side controls). 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
vivster said:

IGN has confirmed they've heard the same thing as Eurogamer (portable console with detachable side controls). 

Well of course they heard the same thing. Do you know where? From an article on Eurogamer. That's how rumors work.

I'm not saying it's not true but this is getting ridiculous.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Soundwave said:

Well of course they heard the same thing. Do you know where? From an article on Eurogamer. That's how rumors work.

Should've clarified that to say IGN is saying they have heard the same thing from their own, separate source(s).

Soundwave said:
vivster said:

Should've clarified that to say IGN is saying they have heard the same thing from their own, separate source(s).

And do you know who those sources are? I just told you.

Remember the last time we heard from "trusted" sources about the NX? Back then it was DEFINITELY a home console with AMD GPU and a separate handheld version later.

In hindsight, it was actually pretty silly to think the console component would ever be powerful given the unified library. Be it a hybrid or two seperate devices, if they're to get the same exact same games then the console was always going to be gimped due to the portable part. This is also why a hybrid makes more sense than two seperate systems, maybe not for Nintendo financially since they're selling only one hardware instead of two, but it's great for us consumers as we only need to buy buy one piece of hardware to get both the handheld and console experience.

Of course, this means the NX will mostly be ignored by western third partys since as a console it is not up to par, but on the flipside being a Nintendo portable means Japanese third partys will support it by default. I mean they're not just gonna stop making Monster Hunters and Yokai Watchs. Heck even with the power gap Sega is still bringing Sonic 2017 to it. It'll be more capable than the Vita and Sony wont be making a new handheld so Nintendo will have a monopoly there. More importantly, there should be more Nintendo games of higher quality with the unified library and not a huge jump in development cost (well compared to the Wii U atleast).

I also like that it only has one screen (no clamshell), this will allow the portable to be thicker so the L n R and ZL n ZR buttons can be above/below each other not side by side like on the New 3DS. That would mean the portable can finally have the exact same button layout as the console controller, which is important of course given it's a hybrid. I also think there will be two different sets of detachable controllers, one for portable use (thin/square shape, circle pads) and one for home use (grips, sticks). This remains to be seen of course, but I really hope it's the case, as it would be the perfect Nintendo system really.

My biggest question will be the pricing for both the system and the games. $300 for system and $60 for games might be fine for a console, but for a handheld I'm not sure, and their portable market is definitely the bigger and thus more important one. I'd hope they go for a middle ground, like $250 for NX and $50 per game. Quite a few Wii U games released at that price or lower, though yeah a handheld more powerful than Wii U yet also being cheaper than it is a huge stretch.

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

And do you know who those sources are? I just told you.

Remember the last time we heard from "trusted" sources about the NX? Back then it was DEFINITELY a home console with AMD GPU and a separate handheld version later.

You know, I think the reason why we got a rumor focused on a hybrid NX this time is that gaming journalism has run the well for home console NX rumors dry.

Probably. I mean there is still some time until the announcement. I can already see the rumors just before the announcement claiming it's now Matrox powered and needs a paddle to be operated.