By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

The detachable controllers could be motion wands, they could have some kind of new control input that encourages people to gather around the LCD display and play together. 

Sounds right up Nintendo's ally. Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. 

For a lot of people if you described the Wii concept to them in 2004, it wouldn't make sense because no way would Nintendo make a console with a vertical single hand controller with little/no graphical update to the GameCube, no dual analog, etc. etc. etc. 

Alright, smart guy. If this thing is supposed to be a console portable hybrid, how is someone supposed to play their motion games on the go?

It doesn't make sense.

The detachable motion controllers, obviously. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Tlozjb said:
This just sounds as if someone putted all the recent Nintendo patents and every available NX rumor into a blender and got this mess as a result.

Aside that it contradicts what we know for sure of the NX. Yes, Iwata said that for the next hardware they had to look for a way to appeal to the West's home console-oriented market and to Japan's handheld-oriented market, but that doesn't mean we are getting this weird mess. Be it the hybrid or not, Reggie and Kimishima have make it clear that NX will primarily be a home console, unlike this rumor, which makes it seem to be primarily a handheld. So this already contradicts one of the only things we know for sure of the NX, that it primarily is a home console. That raises a big red flag, and good reason why this rumor should be taken with a huge grain of salt, more than usual.

It doesn't contradict anything Nintendo has said. 

Even Iwata said he wasn't sure if they would multiple form factors OR just one. 

Nintendo has never said what the nature of the console is, in fact I think only Reggie has called it a "console" as kind of an off hand statement. Nintendo themselves has always officially said "system" or "platform". 

Interviewer: "It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles."

Kimishima: "I suppose it can be seen that way.However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U."

http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-comments-on-nintendo-movies-mobile-nx/

While he does suggest the hybrid idea, but he also pretty much says that whatever it is, it will be primarily be a home console since he doesn't feel it will be a pure replacement for the Wii U, it will not be a successor to Wii U or 3DS, but it will be a home console, but also not a pure replacement to Wii U.  

So by Kimishima's words we know:    The NX will not be the next Wii or DS but a new concept, it will primarily be a new home console, but he doesn't see it as a ure replacement for the WIi U, most probably because of the hybrid concept

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

GhaudePhaede010 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I know as of right now this is still a rumor and nothing will be 100% confirmed until Nintendo shows off the NX whenever they decide to, but if this ends up being true holy fuck am I dissapointed.

NOT EVEN AS POWERFUL AS THE PS4? For fucks sake I thought that would be the very least Nintendo would do. I guess they truly haven't learned anything from the Wii U and just don't give a fuck about third party support anymore. And to top it all off they're not even using the same fucking architecture? So porting will be harder now. 

If this ends up being true when Nintendo reveals the NX, I hope it succeeds for them but I won't be buying one when I already have a PS4 which will apparently be more powerful than the NX that is releasing years after it.

Are you attempting to say a hand held should be as powerful as a dedicated home console? I do not follow you on this one. You do realize this would be a hand held console hybrid and not a home console hybrid, right?

That's the exact problem with it being a Hybrid in the first place. But whatever, Nintendo can have another generation with no third party support if this is truly what they want.

Releasing a weaker console than the PS4 years after the PS4 has launched? Lol, god damn Nintendo I wish you good luck. Not to mention the Neo and Scorpio coming out later.

Tlozjb said:

Interviewer: "It seems more to me that the NX will have an effect on the Wii U due to the fact that both will be consoles."

Kimishima: "The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U."

While he does suggest the hybrid idea, but he also pretty much says that whatever it is, it will be primarily be a home console since he doesn't feel it will be a pure replacement for the Wii U, it will not be a successor to Wii U or 3DS, but it will be a home console, but also not a pure replacement to Wii U.  So by Kimishima's words we can get:

- Hybrid concept

- Primarily a home console.

No where is the word primarily used. Not a pure Wii U replacement =/= primarily a home console. As explained, it doesn't make any sense for the hybrid to technically be a home console that can be played on the go rather than a handheld that can played on your TV. The Wii U is just mentioned more in their PR speaks because that console is dead already while the 3DS is still selling so they probably don't want people thinking it's getting replaced yet.

Soundwave said:

Imagine Nintendo taking home a 30% cut of all mobile profits (instead of Apple or Google) ... Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Pokemon Go (lol) on this device too.

You can see the appeal immediately.

A 16GB iPad Mini is actually $399.99, lol. If Nintendo could offer a $299.99 NX with Android games, apps, and Nintendo games + home console play, if I'm a parent I may look at that instead of having to buy them the damn iPad + another $300 gaming console. If one device could keep the kiddies happy I think a lot of parents would be happy with that. 

The one thing detachable controllers introduce too that normal tablets can't really do is simultaneous multiplayer gaming on a tablet like device. Right now kids do play mobile games together, but it mostly consists of passing the tablet around and taking turns, Nintendo would have a feature with detachable controllers that no tablet really uses today. 

So there's that too. 

Nintendo is in no position to make anyone their bitch, especially not Google.  They would have to license Android, it's not share ware.  And Google would make darn sure THEY got the big cut.  Nintendo MIGHT get a paltry sum, 5% if they are really lucky.  And if they didn't use droid they wouls have to do some work to get any of those mobile devs to risk a port and providing regular support.

Also, how are mobile apps - apps so dang ubiquitous you can get a device to play them for $100 or less - free in conjunction with a plan -going to lure ANYONE NEW to the dedicatee hardware space?  The most popular apps on mobile are so pathetically basic they can run on almost anything.  And a key part of their success is that they are a side benefit tied to a device you have at all times, that convenience.  No one will buy a separate device just for mobile games.  And before you bring up substantive ones like Modern Combat, Chaos Rings, and Asphalt, why would anyone spend hundreds of dollars for access to that when 1) tue vast majority of smartphojes that people already have can play them and 2) they could spend the same money and get access to CoD, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, and Forza/GT which are far MORE substantive and polished?  The mobile space has no pull whatsoever in the dedicated gaming space at all.  Every attempt to use it in that space has been a miserable failure.

Also, stop pretending iPads are the only tablets.  You can get good tablets for cheaper than Apple's overpriced crap.  If Nintendo wants kids and parents back, they need to make a concerted marketing effort to convince parents that the more substantive, meaningful, and actively engaging experiences found in premium dedicated devices is better for their children.  I think they could do that to, if they would spend the money.  Also, in your analyses, you have to think like the UNINFORMED, not the informed when discussing parents and such.  That audience is primarily made up of the ignorant who (and I've seen this first hand) would rather buy 3 to 4 crappy licensed or shovel ware games for $20 for their kid on Christmas than pony up $20 for Mario Galaxy.  That's who you're dealing with.

Also, I should think the detachable controler bits are two halves of a more or less conventional controller.  The6 detach so that you can dock the screen/core into the base and then the detatched hits could be put together to form one normal controller.  They are not two independent controllers, they split the inputs.

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Are you attempting to say a hand held should be as powerful as a dedicated home console? I do not follow you on this one. You do realize this would be a hand held console hybrid and not a home console hybrid, right?

That's the exact problem with it being a Hybrid in the first place. But whatever, Nintendo can have another generation with no third party support if this is truly what they want.

Releasing a weaker console than the PS4 years after the PS4 has launched? Lol, god damn Nintendo I wish you good luck. Not to mention the Neo and Scorpio coming out later.

Are you saying that if the released a new handheld now it would be doomed because PS4 is stronger with better sales??
Also no 3rd party support?? Not from the west, obviously. Even if Nintendo released what is essentially a PS4 it still wouldnt be there. Japan however will support it in spades.

TheLastStarFighter said:

The detachable motion controllers, obviously. 

Is this a joke, or do you genuinely believe that detachable motion controllers make any sense for a portable system?

ktay95 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Are you saying that if the released a new handheld now it would be doomed because PS4 is stronger with better sales??
Also no 3rd party support?? Not from the west, obviously. Even if Nintendo released what is essentially a PS4 it still wouldnt be there. Japan however will support it in spades.

@ bolded: Maybe you would have a point there if this was just them releasing another handheld, but this isn't them just releasing a new handheld as its own thing. They are counting this as the new console too. It makes a huge difference.

Sure, maybe Japan will support it a lot but outside of the usual third party games you can expect on a Nintendo console it's going to be another Wii U level of third party support yet again. 

FloatingWaffles said:

No western third party support (which imo would be the case no matter what Nintendo did but I digress), but they'll have Japanese support by default. That plus the unified library should allow for more support than even the 3DS got.

Tlozjb said:
Soundwave said:

It doesn't contradict anything Nintendo has said. 

Even Iwata said he wasn't sure if they would multiple form factors OR just one. 

Nintendo has never said what the nature of the console is, in fact I think only Reggie has called it a "console" as kind of an off hand statement. Nintendo themselves has always officially said "system" or "platform". 

Kimishima: "The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U."

While he does suggest the hybrid idea, but he also pretty much says that whatever it is, it will be primarily be a home console since he doesn't feel it will be a pure replacement for the Wii U, it will not be a successor to Wii U or 3DS, but it will be a home console, but also not a pure replacement to Wii U.  So by Kimishima's words we can learn that:

- Hybrid concept

- Primarily a home console.

Aside that by Nintendo's forecast, you can tell that it will primarily be a home console, a huge drop for the Wii U forecast, but not for the 3DS forecast.

Kimishima saying that he thinks NX will have a bigger impact on Wii U than 3DS could come down to 3DS being so much cheaper than NX and Nintendo still keeping that on the market.

Unless there's a statement with either Iwata, Kimishima or someone else in a position to know saying that NX will be more of a home console, than a half way step between handheld and console this statement you've quoted shouldn't be taken to mean it is primarily a home console. The moment you merge these kinds of systems into a single device, with multiple options for how you play you leave it up to the play as to what it's primary use is.

If the majority of people that buy one take it out and about with them and they spend most of their time out of their home or away from a TV, then it's primarily a mobile gaming platform, so it really is a none issue, if NX has this feature and it's a single device.

NX and Wii U could be similar in cost, so the market could just choose NX because it does more things and also has the greater focus from Nintendo's developers and their partner studios/publishers.

Basically there could be a bunch of reasons why Kimishima said what he said about sales, it's a pretty vague statement tbh.