By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US air strike in Syria kills up to 85 civilians 'mistaken for Isil fighters'

Tagged games:

Ganoncrotch said:
hershel_layton said:
Things like this is what contributes to groups like ISIS

Yeah pretty much this sort of "mistake" is going to be used as a PR tool by tools to paint the US as a villain when something like this happens, of course even reading the linked article and you'll see that

"Many Isil fighters are still holed up in the city, and are preventing thousands of civilians from leaving, effectively using them as human shields. "

So yeah... Sure the US did kill civilians, but they're civilians who are being held there by terrorists and used as human shields, to put all the blame of this on the US forces is really just weak minded. If you have terrorists who hold these children hostages to use them as shields... how do you try to paint them as the good guys here doing the right things?

This^

People need to wake up and realize this is what War - real war between two territory-holding entities - looks like.  I know we haven't had one in a while folks, but its not hard to  do the research and refresh your memory.  They don't say war is hell for no reason.  Mistakes will be made, civilian casualties will occur.  And it is always tragic.  

But ISIL FORCING civilians to stay in that village rather than protecting their retreat to a more secure location betrays their true colors.  The people of their "state" are cattle to them, nothing more.  I mean, shoot even Stalin didn't do that to my knowledge, that's next level crappiness.

Around the Network

Yeah sorry, quote was originally all I was gonna address but it isn't fair to ignore half a person's argument so I shared my overall thoughts.

No I don't believe the US is capable of getting a Jihadi group to work with them outright these days, I am saying that they are convenient to the US agenda and easy to herd.

"In this magic wipe away move, do you think it would be possible without a single civilian death? I mean do you think they could pinpoint every single member of ISIS and have them fall over dead without a single civilian death? "

No, you are right that would definitely cause the loss of some innocent lives, and you are right my bolded statement would still apply - what the heck am I on about then?

What I meant by my last statement is they undoubtedly have the ability to wipe out ISIS and the world would not object. They had this ability when they were a smaller group too. The whole crux of the argument that "they can't be blamed for taking innocent lives when ISIS are using them as shields" depends on the assumption that US involvement is a must to begin with- It isn't the US' duty to get involved, they don't HAVE TO bomb anyone and they are not "saving" anyone.

Western involvement is what has kept the Muslim nations divided since the fall of the khilafah in 1924 and even before that, through proxy leaders, the nationalism they crafted and injected into the society and many other factors - I do not want to deviate the topic too much.

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 24 July 2018

Forgive my scattered thoughts and overly emotional posts, my best friends brother was murdered yesterday and I am a bit shaken up. He didn't do anything wrong at all. His only offence was being a Muslim in a time where the media has made that a crime in itself. This message is random and off-topic, I am not directing it at anyone:
Let's not spread hate (what may be perceived as anti-US rhetoric on my part is merely analysis, I love everyone - don't take offence please :) )

hershel_layton said:
Things like this is what contributes to groups like ISIS

Doing nothing contributes to ISIS, killing civilians contributes to ISIS, killing ISIS members apparently contributes to ISIS, that's war I guess.

Civilians always suffer most in war, but ISIS wants a war so we have to bring it to them.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
nil8r153 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

how do you try to paint them as the good guys here doing the right things?

I'm pretty sure no one outside of Iraq, and most people in it, see ISIS as good guys.

Pretty sure only ISIS sees ISIS as the good guy

I'm pretty sure anybody who support Sharia law thinks ISIS is the good guy.

They may not be willing to sacrifice their life like ISIS members, but they have supporters.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

-snip-

Alt removed -RavenXtra

nil8r153 said:
Yeah sorry, quote was originally all I was gonna address but it isn't fair to ignore half a person's argument so I shared my overall thoughts.

No I don't believe the US is capable of getting a Jihadi group to work with them outright these days, I am saying that they are convenient to the US agenda and easy to herd.

"In this magic wipe away move, do you think it would be possible without a single civilian death? I mean do you think they could pinpoint every single member of ISIS and have them fall over dead without a single civilian death? "

No, you are right that would definitely cause the loss of some innocent lives, and you are right my bolded statement would still apply - what the heck am I on about then?

What I meant by my last statement is they undoubtedly have the ability to wipe out ISIS and the world would not object. They had this ability when they were a smaller group too. The whole crux of the argument that "they can't be blamed for taking innocent lives when ISIS are using them as shields" depends on the assumption that US involvement is a must to begin with- It isn't the US' duty to get involved, they don't HAVE TO bomb anyone and they are not "saving" anyone.

Western involvement is what has kept the Muslim nations divided since the fall of the khilafah in 1924 and even before that, through proxy leaders, the nationalism they crafted and injected into the society and many other factors - I do not want to deviate the topic too much.

Yes we could withdraw air support, but then it would become a brutal war of attrition.  History has shown that.  We don't have much on the ground, btw.  It's almost all air support.

As for whiping out ISIL, most of the US population is strenuously opposed to more boots on the ground, a president marching 100,000 troops into ISIL territory would be political suicide.  And besides, the ground forces currently there are winning with air support.  And even with boots on the ground civilian casualties would be high, history shows this.  It's a fact of war.  So short of boots on the ground, annihilation of ISIL could be done via our 100+ heavy bomber fleet but the collateral damage would be enormous.  And as for the world not objecting, you don't watch the same media I do cause if they flip over 82 accidental deaths, what d you think they would say to 100× that number?  Cause that's the reality of that kind of campaign.

As for US agendas there, Obama and Congress have been trying to disentangle us from this mess for years because whatever reasons we had for being there is far outweighed by the growing negativity in the public eye about any boots-on-the-ground involvement.  But the US gov also doesn't want to show weakness.  It's all politics really, there isn't much in the way of resources over there we need to be brutally honest.  Not to give the impression I think most of our gov cares about Iraq, they don't.  They just care about appearances.  It's still a callous, calculated stance.  Just not the one you're thinking of.

My overall point here:  this is the cost of war, casualties like this would come either by a US drone or an Iraqi or Syrian rifle or tank.  Welcome to back to real war.  It's been a while, but this is what it's like.

Edit:  And yes, I do agree western intervention in the middle east has mostly been a train wreck.  It worked mostly in the far east but its clear we have not accomplished nearly that in the ME.  We were unprepared for how things would go, that much is clear and I personally think we played right into the hands of those who formed ISIL.

Mr Puggsly said:
nil8r153 said:

I'm pretty sure no one outside of Iraq, and most people in it, see ISIS as good guys.

Pretty sure only ISIS sees ISIS as the good guy

I'm pretty sure anybody who support Sharia law thinks ISIS is the good guy.

They may not be willing to sacrifice their life like ISIS members, but they have supporters.

I wholeheartedly support Sharia law and would be honoured to sacrifice my life for the sake of my religion. Any Muslim who says otherwise hasn't understood Islam.
That said, I vehemently oppose ISIS. They have been called khawarij by the scholars. In Shariah law, the khawarij are to be killed on the battlefield because of the corruption and deviance they spread. 

Nuvendil said:
nil8r153 said:

Yes we could withdraw air support, but then it would become a brutal war of attrition.  History has shown that.  We don't have much on the ground, btw.  It's almost all air support.

As for whiping out ISIL, most of the US population is strenuously opposed to more boots on the ground, a president marching 100,000 troops into ISIL territory would be political suicide.  And besides, the ground forces currently there are winning with air support.  And even with boots on the ground civilian casualties would be high, history shows this.  It's a fact of war.  So short of boots on the ground, annihilation of ISIL could be done via our 100+ heavy bomber fleet but the collateral damage would be enormous.  And as for the world not objecting, you don't watch the same media I do cause if they flip over 82 accidental deaths, what d you think they would say to 100× that number?  Cause that's the reality of that kind of campaign.

As for US agendas there, Obama and Congress have been trying to disentangle us from this mess for years because whatever reasons we had for being there is far outweighed by the growing negativity in the public eye about any boots-on-the-ground involvement.  But the US gov also doesn't want to show weakness.  It's all politics really, there isn't much in the way of resources over there we need to be brutally honest.  Not to give the impression I think most of our gov cares about Iraq, they don't.  They just care about appearances.  It's still a callous, calculated stance.  Just not the one you're thinking of.

My overall point here:  this is the cost of war, casualties like this would come either by a US drone or an Iraqi or Syrian rifle or tank.  Welcome to back to real war.  It's been a while, but this is what it's like.

Edit:  And yes, I do agree western intervention in the middle east has mostly been a train wreck.  It worked mostly in the far east but its clear we have not accomplished nearly that in the ME.  We were unprepared for how things would go, that much is clear and I personally think we played right into the hands of those who formed ISIL.

I appreciate the well thought out and respectful response, will be back for discussion this evening, hopefully, and will share my thoughts - Gotta get my day started already haha