By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft on NX: “what we have seen is really great”

"Casual players". Just sounds great...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

And yet the only confirmed NX game is aimed at the core Nintendo fan.

wombat123 said:

Does anyone remember what Ubisoft's reaction was to the Wii U before release?  I'm not downplaying this, I'm just curious because if they were essentially lukewarm about the Wii U before release then I would put more stock to this statement by Ubisoft's CEO.

Heres what Yves Guillemot said about the Wii U

“The platform Nintendo is coming with is really a fantastic platform. We think it will be extremely successful.”

"We feel this console is coming with very innovative features that will change the video game industry and we want to be part of that"

"I think at least [as powerful]. It should be even superior for some of the games. We don't know everything, so we have a few things Nintendo is telling us that will have such and such powers."

GProgrammer said:
wombat123 said:

Does anyone remember what Ubisoft's reaction was to the Wii U before release?  I'm not downplaying this, I'm just curious because if they were essentially lukewarm about the Wii U before release then I would put more stock to this statement by Ubisoft's CEO.

Heres what Yves Guillemot said about the Wii U

“The platform Nintendo is coming with is really a fantastic platform. We think it will be extremely successful.”

"We feel this console is coming with very innovative features that will change the video game industry and we want to be part of that"

"I think at least [as powerful]. It should be even superior for some of the games. We don't know everything, so we have a few things Nintendo is telling us that will have such and such powers."

Okay, that actually makes me take his excitement more seriously because it seems like he only knew about the gamepad at the time and not, you know, the other things about the Wii U like how Nintendo ended up reducing its power, how difficult it was to program for compared to the PS4/Xbone, its lacking online infastructure and pretty much how hands-off Nintendo was when it came to technical support for 3rd parties.

Thanks for doing the research.

SupernovaFF7 said:

Love to see nintendo haters bsting everywhere. Funny how they love to use the imaginary gamer term "casual", that, even if existed, would mean the majority of ps and xbox fanbase are the most casual ones because many of them only buy cod/fps in general and fifa.

If you're such a genius why wasn't the Wii U 1/100000000000th as successful as you were hyping it to be? Reality slapped you upside the face pretty good there looks like. 

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Goodnightmoon said:

No, the games you mention shows that there are exceptions, specially in one of their lowest years ever because of wiiu failure and NX transition, and still they have release way more good games than bad ones even on such a low moment, now you want to take the exceptions and turn them into the rule because reasons, but no, that doesn't change reality, Nintendo games are consistently good and everybody that knows about videogames knows that.

Consistently good means always good, but like I showed you they are not always good.

They had as many bad games last year as good ones. Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Fatal Frame V, Devil's Third, sure some of them were not developed by them, but then the only good ones I remember are Splatoon and XCX.

This year they have Star Fox Zero, failure of a console to sell shouldn't affect the quality of their games.

This everybody isn't everybody or their consoles would have always been successful, Nintendo games are an acquired taste just like any other game developed by any other developer.

Splatoon, XCX, Mario Maker, Yoshi Wolly World, Fast Racing Neo are all great games. Also Fatal Frame V is not bad game isn't great but also isn't bad, same goes to Star Fox Zero.

Wii U have far more great Nintendo games than bad games, only bad games are basicly Mario Party, Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis, all other games are great.

If you look you will see that all three those bad games are released in 2015, and obvious reason for that is that they are small and fast projects that only purpose for them is to fill Wii U shedle because Nintendo moved focus to NX, so Nintendo plan with those games wasnt to make great and quality games, plan was to make basically fillers, they done that with purpose.

GOWTLOZ said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Appart from Splatoon and XCX there's Mario 3DWorld, DK:Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros 4, Captain Toad, Wonderfull 101, Yoshi's Woolly World, City Undercover, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker, Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE, Mario Kart 8, Pokken, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2 ... 

The number of good and great games published by them is far superior to the bad ones, the difference is even bigger on 3DS, and that's on their most difficult generation ever, I thik that's a pretty good consistency.

I'm talking about 2015, and among the games you stated I don't consider Lego City Undercover and Hyrule Warriors as good games at all, I hate Dynasty Warriors gameplay and I've played Lego City and its not nearly as good as many AAA open world games.

But speaking of good games, since he mentioned Ubisoft not having them, last year they had Rainbow Six Seige and Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, and since Wii U's release, they've also had Assassin's Creed IV and Rogue, Spinter Cell: Blacklist, Far Cry 3 and 4, Watch Dogs, Child of Light and Rayman Legends.

The 3DS though, I don't know much about it, almost no one around me has one and its expensive here. The few who do only play Pokemon on it.

Maybe you don't consider them for good games, but fact is that they are good games, espacily Lego City Undercover that is consider for one best Lego games ever.

teigaga said:
AZWification said:

Also, didn't Kimishima say a while back that they are moving away from the Wii and WiiU with the NX? Wouldn't appealing to casuals contradict that?

Not really, there's nuance in the gaming market so we really can't distill things to casual (Wii brand) vs core (PS3/360).  DS represents a system that did appeal to both. When they referenced moving away from the Wii, I think they meant in terms of marketing, branding and maybe sales tactic (i.e selling a system based on a controller)

Selling a system based on the controller didn't really help the WiiU, so I think that's definitely the case. I don't think the NX's gimmick is going to be controller based.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Miyamotoo said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Consistently good means always good, but like I showed you they are not always good.

They had as many bad games last year as good ones. Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Fatal Frame V, Devil's Third, sure some of them were not developed by them, but then the only good ones I remember are Splatoon and XCX.

This year they have Star Fox Zero, failure of a console to sell shouldn't affect the quality of their games.

This everybody isn't everybody or their consoles would have always been successful, Nintendo games are an acquired taste just like any other game developed by any other developer.

Splatoon, XCX, Mario Maker, Yoshi Wolly World, Fast Racing Neo are all great games. Also Fatal Frame V is not bad game isn't great but also isn't bad, same goes to Star Fox Zero.

Wii U have far more great Nintendo games than bad games, only bad games are basicly Mario Party, Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis, all other games are great.

If you look you will see that all three those bad games are released in 2015, and obvious reason for that is that they are small and fast projects that only purpose for them is to fill Wii U shedle because Nintendo moved focus to NX, so Nintendo plan with those games wasnt to make great and quality games, plan was to make basically fillers, they done that with purpose.

GOWTLOZ said:

I'm talking about 2015, and among the games you stated I don't consider Lego City Undercover and Hyrule Warriors as good games at all, I hate Dynasty Warriors gameplay and I've played Lego City and its not nearly as good as many AAA open world games.

But speaking of good games, since he mentioned Ubisoft not having them, last year they had Rainbow Six Seige and Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, and since Wii U's release, they've also had Assassin's Creed IV and Rogue, Spinter Cell: Blacklist, Far Cry 3 and 4, Watch Dogs, Child of Light and Rayman Legends.

The 3DS though, I don't know much about it, almost no one around me has one and its expensive here. The few who do only play Pokemon on it.

Maybe you don't consider them for good games, but fact is that they are good games, espacily Lego City Undercover that is consider for one best Lego games ever.

Mario Maker is good, but Fatal Frame V is not good at all, neither is Star Fox Zero, I have higher standards than that to consider a game as good.

Its not a fact that Lego City and Hyrule Warriors are good, Lego City is not as good as many other open world games and Hyrule Warriors is only good as a fan service, not as a game and nobody other than Zelda fans consider it to be good.

GOWTLOZ said:
Miyamotoo said:

Mario Maker is good, but Fatal Frame V is not good at all, neither is Star Fox Zero, I have higher standards than that to consider a game as good.

Its not a fact that Lego City and Hyrule Warriors are good, Lego City is not as good as many other open world games and Hyrule Warriors is only good as a fan service, not as a game and nobody other than Zelda fans consider it to be good.

Yout standarts are so high that you decide wether a game is good or not without even playing it at all, very high. SF0 is not a bad game at all, there is a lot of youtubers defending it and there was a lot of good reviews, not only bad, is a divisive game, I liked it, first day the controls felt weird and I understood the bad reviews, but then second day they felt mostly good, third day it was second nature and bad reviews made no sense to me, and that's the only reason SF0 had bad reviews, controls, wich you only need time to get used to, the rest is fine, not brilliant, but far from bad.

Goodnightmoon said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Yout standarts are so high that you decide wether a game is good or not without even playing it at all, very high. SF0 is not a bad game at all, there is a lot of youtubers defending it and there was a lot of good reviews, not only bad, is a divisive game, I liked it, first day the controls felt weird and I understood the bad reviews, but then second day they felt mostly good, third day it was second nature and bad reviews made no sense to me, and that's the only reason SF0 had bad reviews, controls, wich you only need time to get used to, the rest is fine, not brilliant, but far from bad.

Among thos games SF Zero and Lego City are the ones that I have played and SF Zero controls are terrible at least to me because I'm used to much better controls in other shooters, most other shooters in fact, I haven't finished the game but my friend who has it says it took him just four hours to finish so its really short, what I played was also unremarkable in every way. I would say its a bad to mediocre game, not a good game. It also didn't review well and you know it, random youtubers aren't a reliable source.

Lego City had some charm but again I'm used to much better games in the genre, most modern open world games that I've played are better. Even some older ones are.

I don't need to play Hyrule Warriors to know that I dislike Dynasty Warriors gameplay and wouldn't like it either.

I haven't played Fatal Frame V though but for that one I have nothing else to go by other than the poor reviews.