By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo have not made an operating profit overall this generation.

etking said:
Unless they completely drop consoles and go full mobile +Steam / multiplattform, there won't be any profits in future too, unfortunately.

That isn't true at all, because they are making profit overall profit (Net profit) even this their worst gen ever, they will just not have operating profit this gen, but bottom of line is Net profit.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
As for the argument that Nintendo should keep making hardware because they are still profitable despite a low volume of sales, that makes a whole lot more sense when losses for selling hardware do not apply anymore. That's what holds largely true for the latter years of this generation.

But the bigger reason for Nintendo to keep making hardware is that the potential profits from such a business model are far greater than going third party. Regarding the losses this generation, a company like Nintendo which has several billions of cash reserves easily survives it. The losses would have had to be multiple times higher in order to humor a legitimate discussion about whether or not Nintendo should go third party. As it is, it was and is nothing more than wishful thinking of people who do not want to buy Nintendo hardware for whatever reason.

Absolutely, the Wii was much more succesful for Nintendo then going third party would have been, while the software business is safer and less of a risk there is higher potential for them making hardware. In the event of the NX failing atrociously too then the question would arise, but as of now, nintendo should remain in the hardware business, and I'm confident their financial situation will improve as it has done the past two fiscal years.

RolStoppable said:
The 3DS was responsible for the first fiscal year with an operating loss (due to an early significant price cut) and it took a while until 3DS hardware returned to profitability. Wii U hardware was sold at a loss from the start, so it didn't help Nintendo's bottom line.

As for the argument that Nintendo should keep making hardware because they are still profitable despite a low volume of sales, that makes a whole lot more sense when losses for selling hardware do not apply anymore. That's what holds largely true for the latter years of this generation.

But the bigger reason for Nintendo to keep making hardware is that the potential profits from such a business model are far greater than going third party. Regarding the losses this generation, a company like Nintendo which has several billions of cash reserves easily survives it. The losses would have had to be multiple times higher in order to humor a legitimate discussion about whether or not Nintendo should go third party. As it is, it was and is nothing more than wishful thinking of people who do not want to buy Nintendo hardware for whatever reason.

Actualy Wii U was sold at loss only in 1st year or so.

Fact is there will not lose any money this gen, they have operating loss yes, but overall they will have solid profit from this gen.

tak13 said:
naruball said:

Yes you can.

Just some examples:

March npd

1. Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  2. Far Cry: Primal (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  5. UFC 2 (PS4, Xbox One)
  6. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  7. Pokken Tournament (Wii U)
  8. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PSe)
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3)

April npd

1. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
  2. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
  3. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  4. Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. Minecraft (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3)
  7. Quantum Break (Xbox One)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  9. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  10. Star Fox: Zero (Wii U)

May npd

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)**
  2. Doom 2016 (PS4, XBO, PC)**
  3. Overwatch (PS4, XBO, PC)**
  4. Battleborn (PS4, XBO, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. Minecraft (XBO, 360, PS4, PS3)
  7. NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)**
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)**
  9. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)**
  10. Dark Souls III (PS4, XBO)**

Not gonna go through every single chart, but it gives you an idea of how much the 3ds has been selling. Sure, there were other months were some titles charted, but overall it's not doing well. It does not look healthy. Sony has a constant stream of successful titles (1st and 4rd party). That goes for most countries, Japan being the exception. Also, comparing Yokai with Uncharted 4 in a single region is not doing you any favours.

Those are the selective and individual cases that I was talking about! You do the same mistake that many people do...

NPD? Only top ten with multi-platform  game, with their sales combined? How the fuck an exlusive game will chart there for more than 1 month  or how there will be 3ds games there  there are no recent releases? And 3ds is 6 years old!

In single skus or better,  a bigger chart, you would see  3ds titles...

You could have used at least  uk chart instead, in order to support your argument...

Because in the uk chart the 3ds wouldn't be 6 years old?

This is not selective. I took the last three months. I'm not gonna go through all the charts just to find the few games that charted over the years.

Also, you're calling mt charts selective while bringing up Uncharted 4 vs Yokai in Germany.

I rest my case.

Truf is with all the negative talk and dismal sales of the Wii U it's very good by Nintendo to have break even during the last five years.

And Nintendo will be very profitable soon with their mobile strategy (as much as I hate mobile).

Each year the mobile games could make $1-2 billion in profit.

Around the Network

Well they are profitable now despite selling even less wiiu consoles and games than before

We still got another year, and Pokemon Go looks like it could be the most profitable thing that might have ever happened to Nintendo. Basically this thread is a little premature.

I wonder if a Nintendo console or handheld game will effect Pokemon Go or vice versa. Especially since one is free and the other will be priced as a AAA game.

Well, it could have been worse. Didn't it take a couple of years before the PS3 became profitable? At least the 3DS helped deflect the losses.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

bigtakilla said:
We still got another year, and Pokemon Go looks like it could be the most profitable thing that might have ever happened to Nintendo. Basically this thread is a little premature.

Unfortunately, Nintendo itself will barely see any profits from the game. Most profits go to Apple, Google, Niantic and the Pokemon company.