By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game that made you a fan of a specific gaming genre

Warcraft 

ultima online

Kings quest

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network

Platformers - Either Super Mario Bros 3, or Super Mario World

RPGs - Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger

Puzzles - Puyo Pop/ Tetris Attack

Racing - Mario Kart

Horror - Silent Hill/Fatal Frame

Tactics - Ogre Battle and Fire Emblem

Adventure - The Legend of Zelda

I think that about covers it for me...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

cesarmgc said:
COKTOE said:
Final Fantasy Tactics. I think since that released in.....1997? 98?....my favorites in the genre have been from Nintendo. I played 3 Fire Emblem games with Path Of Radiance being my fav. Does Advance Wars count? But yeah, FFT turned me on to the TBSRPG genre.

I'm with you man!! FFT is for me the best PSone game! Than Fire emblem, Tactics Ogre, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the plume, X-Com, FRONT MISSIONs!!

Xcom was another great one. I never gave the first one a fair shake for some reason, but I loved Enemy Unknown. I just bought it again on the Vita. I hear the port is pretty good.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

RPGs :FF3 on SNES     RPGS: FFtactics on PS1
Stealth Genre : MGS, Tenchu on PS1
Fighting : SF2 on SNES
Racing : GT and Wipeout on PS1
FPS : MoH frontline on PS2
Adventure : Legend of Zelda on NES
Indie : Flower on PS3
Horror: RE on PS1

Now that i think of it, i can see why i left nintendo. In all the genres i love, they now have only one game that caters to a specific genre. Zelda is the only nintendo game that I feel till this day hasn't been topped. Then again the witcher 3 and horizon seem to male a very good case. But they probably lack or will lack that soul that only japanese devs seem to be able to put into a game.

Oh, I forgot strategy RPG!

That's all Shining Force. Made me fall in love with the genre.

Around the Network

999 made me a fan of visual novels.Other than that, I already liked most genres.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
999 made me a fan of visual novels.Other than that, I already liked most genres.

I'll second this. 999 totally converted me.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Nautilus said:

I'll second this. 999 totally converted me.

For visual novels I'll hsve to go with Burn Cycle on the Phillips CDi. Didn't put that in my lost cause i can't really say what genre that game even was. 

Twisted Metal sold me on car combat.

Chrono Trigger made me a fan of RPGs.