By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whats the First Series to Come to Mind When You Hear the Word "Playstation"

Suikoden, Lunar and Wild Arms were my reasons to buy Playstation consoles.

Around the Network

I think it's R&C and GT for new. It's weird add I never really played Crash on PS1 or Spyro.

Even saying R&C and GT is because I'm forcing myself too. I think I'm finding it hard because Playstation to new has always been my go to console due to the number of new IPs every gen that interest me.

I remember Fade to Black, Die Hard Trilogy, Tekken, Ridge Racer and so much more from PS1 days.

The PS2 gen makes me think of DMC, Chaos Legion, Onimusha, Altered Beast, Shinobi, SotC and more.

The PS3 gen had Heavenly Sword, Heavy Rain, Puppeteer, The Fight: Lights Out, Ni No Kuni etc.

BMaker11 said:

None immediately come to mind because there's too many to think of. And that's the beauty of it.

You ask this same question about Xbox and the answer will be "Halo". Ask it about a Nintendo console and the answer will be "Mario".

But what is the "Playstation series"? Crash? Is that more  synonymous with PS than GT? Is GT more synonymous with PS than Metal Gear Solid? Is MGS more synonymous with PS than Uncharted? Is Uncharted more synonymous with PS that Ratchet and Clank? There's too much diversity of prominence instead of "this is our big gun, and we're putting everything we have behind it". 

Come on. No need to disparage the competition just to elevate Sony.

@OP: the first thing that came into my mind was Uncharted. That series has been the flagship for Sony for a generation and the one that gets the most attention and awards. And it's emblematic of Sony's recent shift toward cinematic, experiential titles.

jason1637 said:

When you hear the word "Playstation" what's the first series to come to mind?

Mine would be either God of War or Crash.

This is one of those questions that shan't be asked. Because it's simply impossible to think of 1 game when u think about Playstation.

When I think Playstation at least 20 different games pop up in my mind at the same time, there's just been so many great franchises over the last 4 generations.There's not really 1 IP that sticks out and demand the most attention.

But with Nintendo and Microsoft, it's easy: It's Mario or Zelda and Masterchief. They've been too dominant over the other series on their consoles and oftentimes they've what helped define their respective consoles.

Final Fantasy, metal gear solid, resident evil, crash, spyro, twisted metal, uncharted, God of War, gran turismo, ratchet and clank, jak and dexter, little big Planet, silent Hills, theyvare the ones I can think of from the top of my head but I'm sure there's a lot more, so many!

Yeah, couldn't just put one but if I had to choose probably crash, that's why they need to bring him back!!! I know they are in the form of 3 remasters but we need a reboot!! 

Around the Network

When I read the title of this thread my mind simultaneously thought of Final Fantasy/God of War/Uncharted/Metal Gear Solid/Resident Evil/Street Fighter

Final Fantasy for me. More I think, next that come to mind are God of War and Crash.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

LipeJJ said:
COKTOE said:

? That's fairly ambiguous. So what the heck do you mean?

Kawaii and avant-garde gaymes like Final Fantasy, especially FFVII comes to mind.

Ok then. :) I tend to only consider games like Cho-Aniki as a gay game, since it's so blunt about it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Spyro The Dragon on ps1 :P

Final Fantasy ... most likely because Final Fantasy VII was the first game I ever played on a Playstation.