By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTX 1060 Reviews

JEMC said:
Looking good, although I won't believe those performance claims until I see proper reviews.

What I wonder, tho, is how many GTX 1060 will actually cost $250. And the reason is that the GTX 1070 costs $399/449 (F.E.), but finding one at $399 is almost impossible, and I'm worried that it may be the same case with the 1060.

That's the problem, they get us all excited with a super cheap price, but here in Japan it's still a limited supply of founder edition : 660$ !

Around the Network
Norris2k said:
JEMC said:
Looking good, although I won't believe those performance claims until I see proper reviews.

What I wonder, tho, is how many GTX 1060 will actually cost $250. And the reason is that the GTX 1070 costs $399/449 (F.E.), but finding one at $399 is almost impossible, and I'm worried that it may be the same case with the 1060.

That's the problem, they get us all excited with a super cheap price, but here in Japan it's still a limited supply of founder edition : 660$ !

The situation is a bit better here in Spain because there's supply, but good luck finding one for less than the price of a Founders Edition one.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

AMD should've made a $249 card instead of $199.

shikamaru317 said:
Turkish said:

In retrospect, yeah, they probably should have made full Polaris 10 a bit more powerful and sold it for $250. But at the time that they were planning things, their strategy seemed like a smart one. Their strategy was to win over some marketshare, and looking at the Steam hardware survey, most of the top graphics cards are in the $150-$200 range, 960, 750ti, 760, 660, 650, which is likely why they aimed for $200 for 480 and $150 for 470. Of course, AMD likely weren't expecting 1060 so soon, nor were they likely expecting Nvidia to be so agressive with the pricing on 1060 (I personally thought it was going to be closer to $300 based on the leaked specs), they probably thought they'd have a few months where the RX 480 was the top mid-range GPU on the market before 1060 released. Ultimately their plan, which looked great on paper, may end up backfiring because they underestimated Nvidia's ability to release a mid-range card so soon after their high end cards.

The should've made the 480 more powerful and the 470 closer to what the 480 is now. $199 R470 4GB, $249 R480 8GB, no 4GB version of the R480.

Turkish said:

But would that card have beaten a 1060?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Turkish said:

If full Polaris 10 had 40 Compute Units, not the 36 it has (and it's the max capacity, no chance of a new card with 40CUs), I'd say that yes it would. Or at least, it would be a draw.

But a card like that wouldn't cost $249, but rather $299 (it would be a bigger chip and more expensive chip, for starters).

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Slimebeast said:

If full Polaris 10 had 40 Compute Units, not the 36 it has (and it's the max capacity, no chance of a new card with 40CUs), I'd say that yes it would. Or at least, it would be a draw.

But a card like that wouldn't cost $249, but rather $299 (it would be a bigger chip and more expensive chip, for starters).

So making it $199 was the best strategy then. Now AMD has a a chance to get at least a few customers who set $200 as their maximum limit even if the 1060 is the more valuable purchase and also has the stronger brand name and trust.

When do people think the 1080Ti will release? It can't be almost 9 months after, like the 980Ti versus GTX 980.

I also wonder if the difference gonna be the same, a GTX 1080Ti being 25% faster than a GTX 1080, and I also wander if the price difference will be the same, only $100 higher, making a GTX 1080Ti much more worth it than buying the current GTX 1080 (for the price of waiting a damn long time ofc).

And I really would like to know when the AMD Vega will release, because I'm reluctant to buy anything other than AMD. It's a pity AMD release schedule is much harder to perdict.

I was really excited by the announcement, especially with the low power usage. then I saw the piece of information that turned this gem into a turd, No SLI. At that price I don't want to limit future expandability, will still be grabbing Rx 480 later this month as at least I can add another next year if need be.

Slimebeast said:

When do people think the 1080Ti will release? It can't be almost 9 months after, like the 980Ti versus GTX 980.

I also wonder if the difference gonna be the same, a GTX 1080Ti being 25% faster than a GTX 1080, and I also wander if the price difference will be the same, only $100 higher, making a GTX 1080Ti much more worth it than buying the current GTX 1080 (for the price of waiting a damn long time ofc).

And I really would like to know when the AMD Vega will release, because I'm reluctant to buy anything other than AMD. It's a pity AMD release schedule is much harder to perdict.

VRWorld claimed in an article made earlier this week that Titan P (P of Pascal, not the actual name) would launch in August, maybe revealed during the Gamescom, and that it would be 50% faster than the 1080. That figure, tho, isn't final as it comes from the fact that it will have 50% more GPC (Graphics Processing Clusters), without factoring frequencies, memory bandwidth (it will use HBM2), etc.

About the 1080Ti, we don't know if the 1080Ti will use the same chip or if it will use a version with some of the TPC (Texture / Processor Cluster) disabled to make it a bit slower like they did with the 980Ti.

By the way, this is the block diagram of the Pascal chips (GP100, 104, 106 & 107)

Note that the rumored GP102 that will power the 1080Ti isn't labeled as its specs are unknown.

When it comes to AMD and Vega, as shikamaru has said, rumors say that AMD has accelerated the production of the chip, but that doesn't really mean anything.

At least we could speculate about its performance based on the rumors we have that state that Vega will have 4096 SPs.

The RX 480 uses the new GCN 4.0 architecture and has 2304 stream processors. The R9 380 uses GCN 1.2 (3rd GCN iteration) and features 1792 SPs. Using TechPowerUp's review of the 480, specifically this page, The 480 delivers roughly 40% more performance with 30% more SPs, so an 1.3 ratio. Given that Fury uses the same GCN 1.2 architecture and that Fury X has 4096 SPs... Vega could be on par or a bit faster than the GTX 1070.

That's not very encouraging :-/