By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming's worst marketing/business decisions?

Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:

You would be shocked to find out how much of that 2B in software sold was on the Wii..... even more shocked to know why the Market leader jumped into a nee gen first. 

but don't mind me, keep living in denial.

I am pretty aware of Wii software sales, and thats 915m of software units sold on 101.5m units of console, and that is great attach rate, maybe you think that is shocking such a great attach rate!?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

What denial!? You don't have any denial in my post, just pure facts.

Ok, if nintendos demons as i mentioned arent still hurting them, so what happened with the WiiU? you  can't just take one success over 4 attempts as the basis of your entire argument in an attempt to dismiss the "fact" that since the ninties nintendo has made some massive errors. 

- They did stab sony in thr back and sided with philips without even telling sony, which led to the playstation today. Thats a fact.

- they had a draconian approach to third parties with the Nes and Snes, which for the most part has left them all bitter towards nintendo till this day. Another fact.

- they opted to use catridges for the N64, which meant nintendo staples like Metal gear and Final fantasy simply couldn't be made on the more powerful N64, basically handing that generation over to sony. Another fact.

- they keep skimping out on hardware, last competent machine they built was the gamecube. Forcing them to rely on things like motion controls or tablet controllers to distinguish their platform. And if the rumors of the NX are true, they are still about to do that. Also a fact.

- support on their console is so limited that they basically get around 2-3 good games a year. Compared to at least 10-15 good games on other platforms a year (even if they are multiplat you still can't play them on a ninty console)

what about all i habe said isnt true? and you think because of the success the wii was that makes everything ok? Just look at the WiiU, they couldnt even break 20M in 4yrs. Thats the worst selling nintendo platform ever, and right on the heels of the wii..... and you don't still think there is a problem? I mean, nintendo were the market leaders last year, they have the dame access to AMD that sony and MS has. Yet they made a wiiU?????

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Ok, if nintendos demons as i mentioned arent still hurting them, so what happened with the WiiU? you  can't just take one success over 4 attempts as the basis of your entire argument in an attempt to dismiss the "fact" that since the ninties nintendo has made some massive errors. 

- They did stab sony in thr back and sided with philips without even telling sony, which led to the playstation today. Thats a fact.

- they had a draconian approach to third parties with the Nes and Snes, which for the most part has left them all bitter towards nintendo till this day. Another fact.

- they opted to use catridges for the N64, which meant nintendo staples like Metal gear and Final fantasy simply couldn't be made on the more powerful N64, basically handing that generation over to sony. Another fact.

- they keep skimping out on hardware, last competent machine they built was the gamecube. Forcing them to rely on things like motion controls or tablet controllers to distinguish their platform. And if the rumors of the NX are true, they are still about to do that. Also a fact.

- support on their console is so limited that they basically get around 2-3 good games a year. Compared to at least 10-15 good games on other platforms a year (even if they are multiplat you still can't play them on a ninty console)

what about all i habe said isnt true? and you think because of the success the wii was that makes everything ok? Just look at the WiiU, they couldnt even break 20M in 4yrs. Thats the worst selling nintendo platform ever, and right on the heels of the wii..... and you don't still think there is a problem? I mean, nintendo were the market leaders last year, they have the dame access to AMD that sony and MS has. Yet they made a wiiU?????

Not that I'm refuting your facts, but what were those draconian approaches towards third-party games Nintendo used to have back with the NES and the SNES?

Mr_No said:

Not that I'm refuting your facts, but what were those draconian approaches towards third-party games Nintendo used to have back with the NES and the SNES?

After the NES era, nintendo were at the top of their game and third party support was booming. Then in the SNES era, at a time when third parties were most dependent on nintendo, nintendo introduced the highest royalties programme ever. Not just making third parties pay royalties for game, but on dev kits and every catridge made. And nintendo had a rigorous QA programme it put them through too. Back then, third parties felt like they were being extorted but nintendo was the king of the hill and called all the shots.

Then sony came alng with the playstation. And ushered in greatly reduced royalties on games sold and even offered up dev kits for free (a practice they still do till this day with some devs) They also lowered QA requirements which in turn led to reduced lead times im development and in turn led to lower development costs.

So by the time the N64 came around, even threatening to be more expensive than the SNES, the third parties were done with nintendo.

Contrary to what some may think, my apparent dislike of nintendo isnt cause i just hate them, i actually truly love nintendo games and nintendo consoles were the first 3 consoles i ever bought in my life. NES, SNES and N64. What i hate are the decisions they make, their choices made me leave during the N64 era when i couldn't play games like Tekken, Xmen children of the atom. FF7 was the straw that finally broke me and i was gone. Till this day, i still see the things in them that made me leave to begin with. 

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

I am pretty aware of Wii software sales, and thats 915m of software units sold on 101.5m units of console, and that is great attach rate, maybe you think that is shocking such a great attach rate!?

GB/Wii/DS/3DS also are clear fact that "demons doenst haunting them till this day", just last gen they had most successful generation in history of gaming, you cant clearly make that if demons of past hunt you. :)

Wii U had series of Nintendo made mistakes, it was bloody mess (revealing, marketing, naming, pricing, game pad, launch titles..), Nintendo itself said after Wii succes they were to relax with Wii U, they thought it will sell event huge mistake they made, also there is fact that they were saving 3DS in some time when they needed to prepare Wii U launch, there is reason why Wii U is worst selling Nintendo console and that doesnt have with "demons of the past".

If you look history of Nintendo hardware, they have hits and misses, that's how they operate, if they have mass appealing product they have good sales, if they dont sales are low, evre new console and new generation is totaly difrent story from previous one, doesn't have anything with "demons of pasts".

Miyamotoo said:

GB/Wii/DS/3DS also are clear fact that "demons doenst haunting them till this day", just last gen they had most successful generation in history of gaming, you cant clearly make that if demons of past hunt you. :)

Wii U had series of Nintendo made mistakes, it was bloody mess (revealing, marketing, naming, pricing, game pad, launch titles..), Nintendo itself said after Wii succes they were to relax with Wii U, they thought it will sell event huge mistake they made, also there is fact that they were saving 3DS in some time when they needed to prepare Wii U launch, there is reason why Wii U is worst selling Nintendo console and that doesnt have with "demons of the past".

If you look history of Nintendo hardware, they have hits and misses, that's how they operate, if they have mass appealing product they have good sales, if they dont sales are low, evre new console and new generation is totaly difrent story from previous one, doesn't have anything with "demons of pasts".

GB/DS/3DS...... arent those handhelds? Why don't you make a lost of their home consoles since the SNES. N64/GC/Wii/WiiU. By nintendo standsrds all tjose were failures compared to the SNES in the ssme wsy the PS3 was a failure comoared to the PS1/PS2. 

Hits and misses? thats how they operate? are you kidding me? You make it sound like they invest billions into something with the underlying plan of "eell our last release was a success . Lets fail this time".

And no, if you look at nintendo history you will see there are business practicies that nintendi has always had that they either still carry till this day or have affected how they do business today. What i find puzzling is that you are old enoigh to know first hand everything that has happened with nintendo. But you are choowing to jist not see or admit it. 

Well i owned a NES and then a SNES and a N64. or at least my brother owmed that one. I was there and i remember what happened. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

I fail to see how the failure of Wii U is a direct result of something that happened in the early-mid 90's. The things you are saying are facts but that doesn't automatically make them relevent points.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

GB/DS/3DS...... arent those handhelds? Why don't you make a lost of their home consoles since the SNES. N64/GC/Wii/WiiU. By nintendo standsrds all tjose were failures compared to the SNES in the ssme wsy the PS3 was a failure comoared to the PS1/PS2. 

Hits and misses? thats how they operate? are you kidding me? You make it sound like they invest billions into something with the underlying plan of "eell our last release was a success . Lets fail this time".

And no, if you look at nintendo history you will see there are business practicies that nintendi has always had that they either still carry till this day or have affected how they do business today. What i find puzzling is that you are old enoigh to know first hand everything that has happened with nintendo. But you are choowing to jist not see or admit it. 

Well i owned a NES and then a SNES and a N64. or at least my brother owmed that one. I was there and i remember what happened. 

Yes, they are handhelds, so what!? Handhelds are huge part of every Nintendo generation and they have huge effect on Nintendo decisions. I dont see how Wii can be failure compared to SNES.

Of Course not, but they risking with different and new approach and that strategy is usually hits and misses, they definitely not saying "now we will make a miss with this console" lol.

I am very aware of history of Nintendo and I am very well informed about everything regardless Nintendo.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

I fail to see how the failure of Wii U is a direct result of something that happened in the early-mid 90's. The things you are saying are facts but that doesn't automatically make them relevent points.

Sony developed PS4 to the taste of the developers, Nintendo developed the WiiU for themselves... that is one of the points that still hunt them since NES

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:

Yes, they are handhelds, so what!? Handhelds are huge part of every Nintendo generation and they have huge effect on Nintendo decisions. I dont see how Wii can be failure compared to SNES.

Of Course not, but they risking with different and new approach and that strategy is usually hits and misses, they definitely not saying "now we will make a miss with this console" lol.

I am very aware of history of Nintendo and I am very well informed about everything regardless Nintendo.

I guess he wants to point that using Handhelds is pointless because Nintendo were the only company with an acceptable HH during all but one gen... so all their issues with 3rd party and other practices didn't affect them the same as in consoles... where since NES they have lost relevance (SNES almost didn't win against Genesis) and them after the beggining of the 90's the Wii was the only console to have some success (and still they had poor 3rd party support) so we see a trend.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Sony developed PS4 to the taste of the developers, Nintendo developed the WiiU for themselves... that is one of the points that still hunt them since NES

Sony developed PS4 to the taste the developers after huge problems they had with PS3, Nintendo developed Wii after GC failed, then they developed Wii U thinking Wii U will recapture Wii audience even with huge mistakes they made. Its all about current product not same mistake they made in 90s.