By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming's worst marketing/business decisions?

Anything and everything surrounding the Wii U.

Around the Network
ZODIARKrebirth said:
The high price that sony gave the ps3 at beginning, the sucess with ps1 and ps2 made them believe they can do what they want...but happy to see that sony learned from that generation

They didn't gave a high price (they were losing 200 per console), they did a overly cost HW

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
The greatest fuck up of all time has to be nintendo.

First their draconian approach to third parties in the 90s, then they stabbed sony in the back which in turn led to the creation of their greatest nemesis.

But they didn't stop there, tgey then chose to use cartridges for the N64 inadvertently handing over the generation to sony.

If any company did what nintendo did then now they would be crucified then burned.

Whats interesting is that all nintendos demons are still haunting them till this day. PlayStation keeps growing, third parties won't touch them and for some sick reason they still somehow always manage to fuck it up on the hardware side of things.

And yet Nintendo jast last gen most successful generation in history of gaming with 255m hardware and 2b of software sold.

-Sega- Releasing too many hardware in small amount of time.
-Nintendo- Staying with N64 cartridges (even back than that rely wasn't bad decision because every disk based console failed until PS1). Wii U revealing, marketing, naming, pricing, game pad, launch titles...bloody mess.
-Sony- PS3 $600 launch price, very complicated CPU. Vita, price, price of cards, 1st party content.
-MS- XB1, inital plans about DRM and block of used games, releasing console with higher price with less power than PS4.

The developmenthell and release of the PS3, actually that entire console was a disaster. The only thing Sony did (very) right with the PS3 was supporting it, but I don't think anyone has lost so much money on a console as the PS3.Even the Wii U is an enormous succes in comparison.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:
The greatest fuck up of all time has to be nintendo.

First their draconian approach to third parties in the 90s, then they stabbed sony in the back which in turn led to the creation of their greatest nemesis.

But they didn't stop there, tgey then chose to use cartridges for the N64 inadvertently handing over the generation to sony.

If any company did what nintendo did then now they would be crucified then burned.

Whats interesting is that all nintendos demons are still haunting them till this day. PlayStation keeps growing, third parties won't touch them and for some sick reason they still somehow always manage to fuck it up on the hardware side of things.

And yet Nintendo jast last gen most successful generation in history of gaming with 255m hardware and 2b of software sold.

You would be shocked to find out how much of that 2B in software sold was on the Wii..... even more shocked to know why the Market leader jumped into a nee gen first. 

but don't mind me, keep living in denial.

Miyamotoo said:

-Sega- Releasing too many hardware in small amount of time.
-Nintendo- Staying with N64 cartridges (even back than that rely wasn't bad decision because every disk based console failed until PS1). Wii U revealing, marketing, naming, pricing, game pad, launch titles...bloody mess.
-Sony- PS3 $600 launch price, very complicated CPU. Vita, price, price of cards, 1st party content.
-MS- XB1, inital plans about DRM and block of used games, releasing console with higher price with less power than PS4.

Pretty much all of this.  Each of these points played a massive hit to each of the companies.

kowenicki said:
Aeolus451 said:

"in every single regard"

It turned a profit and managed to sell 80 million consoles. Didn't lose any of it's brand appeal. Doesn't sound like a bad business decision in every regard. Yes, the price of the PS3 at launch was moronic of sony.

It decimated the mindshare and marketshare in many places for years and lost them billions.  How in the world is that not a disaster?

The fact it eventually perhaps turned a profit, is irrelevant.  How many billions in extra profit would they have made if they hadnt completely misjudged the market and their fanbase by launching an affordable and more accessable console. 

There is nothing positive about the PS3 from a BUSINESS perspective. 

Its so typical of here that in this thread I and others mention nintendo and microsoft products and nobody says a word, mention the PS3 and people get very defensive.  Sony fucked up with the PS3 and ther Vita accept it.

You forget that the ps3 made a quick end to the Blu-ray / HD DVD format war.

Blu-ray didn't take over DVD sales% wise yet still made tons of profit at higher margins.

Perhaps thanks to blu-ray it took a lot longer for bootleg ps3 games to appear.

Sony butchered their console gaming division to slow down the decline of their tv entertainment division, yet they recovered. Ofcourse it's hard to tell how bad a prolonged format war would have been for Sony. Perhaps it even helped a bit with the competitive prices to sell discs. Now with 4K I'm looking at $15 for The Revenant blu-ray, $35 for the 4K UHD version, screw that. It's different anyway, 4K UHD is a premium format, I doubt the industry expects it to ever sell like blu-ray did, more like 3D blu-ray. The new Laserdisc.

Intrinsic said:
Miyamotoo said:

You would be shocked to find out how much of that 2B in software sold was on the Wii..... even more shocked to know why the Market leader jumped into a nee gen first. 

but don't mind me, keep living in denial.

I am pretty aware of Wii software sales, and thats 915m of software units sold on 101.5m units of console, and that is great attach rate, maybe you think that is shocking such a great attach rate!?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

What denial!? You don't have any denial in my post, just pure facts.

GameCube discs were 1.5 GB actually. I don't mean to be argumentative but it's a big difference when you consider in those days how small games were.