By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vue: 100k subs and counting

thismeintiel said:
I know my house just switched to Vue. Can't beat $30/month for the lowest tier. Hopefully, they get A&E soon, as that's the only channel my wife misses. Though, our Roku has a A&E on demand, so it's not that big a deal.

Congrats! It will be really interesting to see what they add into the service in 2016 and what other platforms it comes to.  Sony TV'S are an obvious one. Would apple have a problem with them releasing it on iOS (ipads,  iPhones and macs)? 

Around the Network

Considering they make 3B $ per year, If they reached 1m subs, that would equal about 15% of their revenue. So maybe 350k subs is more like what they're shooting for.

Kerotan said:
thismeintiel said:
I know my house just switched to Vue. Can't beat $30/month for the lowest tier. Hopefully, they get A&E soon, as that's the only channel my wife misses. Though, our Roku has a A&E on demand, so it's not that big a deal.

Congrats! It will be really interesting to see what they add into the service in 2016 and what other platforms it comes to.  Sony TV'S are an obvious one. Would apple have a problem with them releasing it on iOS (ipads,  iPhones and macs)? 

PS Vue is already on Iphones and Ipads, they just need to add an Apple TV app.

I think bringing the service to Samsung, LG, and Vizio smart tvs would be a good idea. Those are the major brands in the US right now and would greatly increase it's availability.

A Windows app wouldn't hurt either.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Kerotan said:

I think bringing the service to Samsung, LG, and Vizio smart tvs would be a good idea. Those are the major brands in the US right now and would greatly increase it's availability.

They're already on Samsung TV'S.  It's the Sony TV'S they need to bring it too! 

theprof00 said:
Considering they make 3B $ per year, If they reached 1m subs, that would equal about 15% of their revenue. So maybe 350k subs is more like what they're shooting for.

Who make 3 Bn a year?

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Normchacho said:

They're already on Samsung TV'S.  It's the Sony TV'S they need to bring it too! 

PlayStation Now is on Samsung TV's. Not Vue.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Kerotan said:
So Sony currently bringing in about $5m a year from this. They'd need to up that to around 1m subs for it to be really worth it which would bring in about $40m annually.

But I'd imagine they're targeting something like 10m subscribers which is 400m annually.

I don't think thats gonna be a problem with them launching on android and iOS

Teeqoz said:
theprof00 said:

Who make 3 Bn a year?

Lol, I meant that it's their projection going foreward. Sony hasn't had profit in a decade, I know. They did 1.3b last year and this year is projected to be 3b.

theprof00 said:
Teeqoz said:

Who make 3 Bn a year?

Lol, I meant that it's their projection going foreward. Sony hasn't had profit in a decade, I know. They did 1.3b last year and this year is projected to be 3b.

Their forecast for this year is ~780 million USD (80 billion yen). Maybe you are mixing profit and operating income, which they have forecast to be 300 Billion Yen.

Teeqoz said:
theprof00 said:

Their forecast for this year is ~780 million USD (80 billion yen). Maybe you are mixing profit and operating income, which they have forecast to be 300 Billion Yen.

Ah, you are correct.