By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Idiots complaining about Moana

superchunk said:
potato_hamster said:

Most powerlifters could be descibed this way, and they much stronger than body builders.

:/ powerlifters I've seen are not round but bulgy.  This character looks to have a soft round belly, not a muscular frame and it does't really matter. Go research the mythical being. Nothing suggest he should have been depcited in such a form. It either should be matched to the myth or the persion voicing the character. That is the norm. Right now it looks like a pudgy stereotype.

Really? His stomach and arms don't jiggle when he moves. They stay solid, so it seems to me that they've created a large, strong, bulky character, not a fat one. But let's assume he is fat, and not muscley - you're telling me that by breaking the stereotype of matching the myth or the person voicing the character, they are perpetuating another stereotype.

I think that says about all you can possibly say about how ridiculous you sound. It goes to show once again the only way to win is to not play.

Around the Network

Some people have a lot of time on their hands to complain on something like that.

binary solo said:

The Polynesian voice actor for Maui

The animated image of Maui

Why couldn't that have simply mo-capped The Rock?

If Polynesian characters of all shapes and sizes were present a lot on movie and TV screens this would be a non-issue. But the fact that Polynesian characters are so rarely represented and even more rarely the central heroes of movies and TV puts it in a different context.

Also, pre-colonial polynesians were not fat, obesity only became significant in polynesians after western diets were introduced. So any traditional image of Maui in polynesian culture would not be of a big fat dude. So it's not historically or mythologically accurate. Obesity in the Polynesian community is a major problem. The Polynesian community doesn't need a fat archetype of it created in popular culture. Outside of Australia, New Zealand and Polynesia itself, how many people have actually met or know any Polynesians? How many people even know Khaal Drogo and the Rock are Polynesian?

If anyone has a right to be offended at the fictional portyrayal of a culture in popular entertainment it's the people of that culture. They are the ones who are most interested and concerned about the health and development of their people.

It might be minor to you, but to some Polynesian people this stuff matters.

The only reason I can see people raising an eyebrow about this is that the Maui from the polynesian stories is not said to be fat, so it was Disney's decision to make him so... it'd be a bit like having a film of Paul Bunyan or John Henry and making him obese, as that really doesn't make sense.

Still, to be angry about this is silly. First, the man is hardly "fat" in the traditional sense, as he's positively strapped; really, he's more like a force of nature which, I imagine, is what they're going for. He looks a LOT more like "The Mountain" of GoT or other top weightlifters than he does some average obese person, and he's about as agile as a superhero (which, as a demi-god, makes sense). This man, in just about every way that matters, is not your typical overweight person.

Aside from that, round characters simply look the part better for humor, and kids love them. The main protagonist of this movie isn't overweight, and Maui does not appear to have even the slightest shred of discomfort about his own body... the guy wears his pride on his face. I just can't find enough here to be upset about that would make those who are seem the slightest bit reasonable... He's just got a Gears of War/Warcraft body lol

Normchacho said:
Hmm, interesting that people got pissed over people being offended and then we had quite an enlightening post about what's actually going on here.

Thanks Binary.

This. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with people being offended by this. You don't realize how much you're influenced by the cartoons and movies you watch as a child until much later. Inclusion, and inclusion done right, matters a lot. I've spent the last 1 year studying the effects of such things on people as they grew up. I didn't set out to do so, but I worked on a project (kugali.com) that led me down that path

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs