By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda breath of the wild map bigger than Witcher 3 and Skyrim?

Wright said:

Well, likewise, my other argument of Maryland and Washington still stands: you can't move between them both seamlessly, because they're not connected. That doesn't stop Fallout 3 from being open-world, just like MGSV doesn't stop being open-world because the same applies to Afghanistan and Africa. And what exactly doesn't compare about being in a narrowed area doing a story-related mission (MGSV) while being on a closed, small dungeon doing a story-related quest (Skyrim)? If you're going to disregard the argument like that at least explain why, otherwise accept it like it is. The narrative progression of both games work in that regard, so why is that wrong that MGSV narrows their story-related mission to a specific area? Especially when then all side content isn't barried behind any narrow space, just specific places you have to be on the world map.

Could you source that number of reviews that didn't say it is not open world?

Broken promises from the developer isn't nothing new. Almost every company does it; you don't disregard what's already in the game (i.e.: the open world aspect) for something that wasn't but was supposed to be there (i.e.: Big Boss evil story arc). Heck, you're the one that disregarded my previous comment because it tied with the narrative of the games and you said it holds no ground, but now you're saying we gotta disregard what content the game has (again, the open world aspect) because the designers didn't fullfill their narrative promise.c

Here's Wikipedia's sourced resume of what constitutes Open World, which will allow us to give some kind of criteria when discussing this thing. Feel free to disagree with it giving your own criteria or another sourced definition:

"Open world, free roam, or free play is an alternative term for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regards to how or when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other computer games that have a more linear structure to its gameplay.[1][2] Open world and free-roaming suggest the absence of invisible walls, and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. Generally, open world games still enforce many restrictions in the game environment, either because of absolute technical limitations (such as graphics) or in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity"

Then there's this paragraph on Design:

"A major design challenge is to balance the freedom of an open world with the structure of a dramatic storyline.[9] Since players may perform actions that the game designer did not expect,[10] the game's writers must find creative ways to impose a storyline on the player without interfering with their freedom.[11] As such, games with open worlds will sometimes break the game's story into a series of missions, or have a much simpler storyline altogether." 

Metal Gear Solid V definitively fits this criteria. I haven't played FF XII, but if its gameplay structure in concordance with the world it inhabits fits this criteria, then it's open world as well, why not?

Fans don't hold MGSV in high regard because of what you pointed out earlier, the broken narrative promises, not because the open-world aspect in itself. There were plenty of room to create an engaging narrative structure, but players find themselves forced to listen to cassettes or enjoy ten-second cutscenes that clearly didn't add anything at all. Codec was absent. Then all confluents to the fact that you just want to be done with it, and the world is nothing but an annoyance at that point. Besides, you keep mentioning MGS3 but the gameplay system is stripped-off MGS4, not MGS3. There's the Peace Walker structure system all over it as well, but unlike Peace Walker, The Phantom Pain does possess a world of its own, open-ended (Peace Walker was stuck strung with connected areas, but there was never a specific or static world to visit). People fell in love with the gameplay and the oportunities the open-world gave, and while you insist on disregarding exploration, when it clearly did wonders for a lot of people throughout those first twenty hours. Especially when you wanted to take Snake on missions with powerful gear, but you had to take cautious in how many resources would it take to bring good equipment with you, as your GMP could cross the red line sooner than one could think. There's also the animal hunting which I didn't mention, although it could have been far more deep than it was.

I mean, I support the idea that MGSV's open-world is lackuster, but you only realize it when you've invested time into it and your team becomes powerful. Which is what I'm saying Anouma will have to take into consideration, otherwise Breath of the Wild's landscape will be nothing more than something you want to get across to get to the point.

The majority bulk of the map in Fallout games is connected while in MGSV it isn't and you're locked in certain sections on the map as well, gametrailers were one review that said what I'm saying to you. Also in your own quote:

Open world and free-roaming suggest the absence of invisible walls, and loading screens that are common in linear level designs.

Under this MGSV isn't open world due to the being no connectivity between the areas, FFXII is a clollection of areas that aren't semalessly connected and just like MGSV has to load up new areas when travelling to them which going by your own quote doesn't fit under open world. Broken promises from a developer means we can't just take their own words as gospel, I disregarded your narrative argument because it was irrelevant as narrative does not define open world, you were arguing of things to do in an openworld and chose a game that's not really open world and has a more narrow structure to it.

Comparing the narrative of Fallout and MGSV is broken, the former you obtain information as you explore and progress through the world, MGSV you selcet scripted missions and carry out the objective in the area, Fallout everything is happening while you're there in MGSV you have to select a mission to generate a lot of what you brought up and it's all not in one mission. You go in one mission to do one of the things you mentioned then go in a nother mission to do another of the other things you mention etc... This is not encouraging exploration like you claimed earlier they're just mission objectives and sub-objectives and is not even comparable to the likes of Fallout, Skyrim, The Witcher and so on where everything or the majority of things are happening for you to come across this is why I didn't acknowledge that argument.

I can point you to one of the biggest Twitich channels for MGS fans in UKnighted where they flat out said the pseudo open world aspect added nothing and was actually disappointing if you want you can follow them and when they next steeam feel free to go and ask them. I mentioned MGS3 because the roaming of large areas is in MGS3. You're comparing a game that at best is not even barebones open world to games that are full on openworld, this is why your experience with the game and using it as a basis for openworld game arguments is flawed as it's like someone someone playing double dragon then gearing their complaints about it to fighting games like SF, KOF, MK and MVC etc... The game's strength is not in open world aspects to begin with.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

The majority bulk of the map in Fallout games is connected while in MGSV it isn't and you're locked in certain sections on the map as well, gametrailers were one review that said what I'm saying to you. Also in your own quote:

Open world and free-roaming suggest the absence of invisible walls, and loading screens that are common in linear level designs.

Under this MGSV isn't open world due to the being no connectivity between the areas, FFXII is a clollection of areas that aren't semalessly connected and just like MGSV has to load up new areas when travelling to them which going by your own quote doesn't fit under open world.

Did you miss this part afterwards that quote?

"Generally, open world games still enforce many restrictions in the game environment, either because of absolute technical limitations (such as graphics) or in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity"

And I'm not sure I understand. The majority of MGSV is connected, meaning you can go anywhere in Afghanistan; what's not connected to this place is Africa, which is the same case scenario on Fallout 3: you can explore Washington, but Maryland isn't connected to this place. What's so hard to understand there?

And since you mentioned the Gametrailers review, I went and watched it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTrhGCH9TOk

This is what I gathered:

· Minute 0:44 - They mention the open-world aspect.

· Minute 4:35 - They mention how much evolved this game is in comparison to Peace Walker thanks to the open-world aspect, and then proceeds to detail it.

· Minute 5:00 - They mention the reasons to explore this open-world aspect.

· Minute 9:10 - They actually point out how these open-world places eventually drag on after too many hours invested in them.

So they too say it's an open-world game.

Wyrdness said:

Broken promises from a developer means we can't just take their own words as gospel, I disregarded your narrative argument because it was irrelevant as narrative does not define open world, you were arguing of things to do in an openworld and chose a game that's not really open world and has a more narrow structure to it.

Comparing the narrative of Fallout and MGSV is broken, the former you obtain information as you explore and progress through the world, MGSV you selcet scripted missions and carry out the objective in the area, Fallout everything is happening while you're there in MGSV you have to select a mission to generate a lot of what you brought up and it's all not in one mission. You go in one mission to do one of the things you mentioned then go in a nother mission to do another of the other things you mention etc... This is not encouraging exploration like you claimed earlier they're just mission objectives and sub-objectives and is not even comparable to the likes of Fallout, Skyrim, The Witcher and so on where everything or the majority of things are happening for you to come across this is why I didn't acknowledge that argument.

I can point you to one of the biggest Twitich channels for MGS fans in UKnighted where they flat out said the pseudo open world aspect added nothing and was actually disappointing if you want you can follow them and when they next steeam feel free to go and ask them. I mentioned MGS3 because the roaming of large areas is in MGS3. You're comparing a game that at best is not even barebones open world to games that are full on openworld, this is why your experience with the game and using it as a basis for openworld game arguments is flawed as it's like someone someone playing double dragon then gearing their complaints about it to fighting games like SF, KOF, MK and MVC etc... The game's strength is not in open world aspects to begin with.

Bethesda has broken many, many promises all over time and time again. But you don't take one of their games and say "It's not open world!" just because Todd Howard said some things about it that never came true. Heck there's a whole generation of memes based on this dude saying things that never happen.

Most infamous comment would be the one about the player being able to climb all the mountains in Skyrim:

So, let me ask you, now we don't consider Skyrim open-world because the dev lied about its world's mountains? Being skeptical is a good thing, and pointing out the flaws is nice. When everyone and their mom says it's open-world, then maybe because it's an adherent truth to it. Even your gametrailer example ended up saying it's open-world.

Narrative does not define an open-world, but you insist on tackling down MGSV's open world issue because of its narrative-based mission structure, which is precisely why I point out the fact that open-world games also narrow down the area you have to go next when dealing with a narrative-based quest or place. If you leave the mission area you fail the mission but you're still free to go wherever you want; though you'll have to go back to the beginning of the mission if you wish you undertake it again; the same with Skyrim if you're in a quest-based dungeon and you choose to leave it and come back together to finish it off.

Your second case provides what's considered to be the ludonarrative dissonance problem of most open-world games, just the fact that in MGSV's case it is inverted. You might unlock a lot of things in Fallout by exploring, but the crucial main plot - saving your dad - will trigger regardless of how much time you take upon completion of the world. You could go and save every single lifeform (or kill them all) and your dad will remain stationary in the same place, while the Enclave won't do a thing until you've gone and save your dad. The quest have to be generated by interacting with it, just like you trigger a mission in MGSV by either using the iDroid or going to the specific mission area and starts it. Likewise, no main quest in almost any open-world game encourages exploration, but rather full forces you to go a linear, narrowed path. That neither applies to Skyrim's secondary content, nor MGSV's secondary content. They both keep fitting on the definition I gave you earlier. You said you can't alter anything until you trigger it, but that's not true either: there are missions on which you could fullfill their request before entering the mission, then activating it and a surprised Ocelot will tell you that the mission has been completed. It's an example that fits how the open-world aspect allows you to act before the thing even starts.

Dissapointed fans with MGSV is nothing new. But fine, I'll give you the "one of the biggest MGS Twitch clubs" said "it's pseudo". As I said earlier, you and probably someone else would disagree with the open-world being open-world. Here's a nice disclaimer on that Twitch channel you mentioned:

DISCLAIMER: All three streamers have their own opinions and chat moderation style. OHN doesn't have "official" views on things. One streamers opnion, etc, don't necessarily represent the other two.

So even the opinion of one of the streamers, the one that said "pseudo" doesn't necessarily has to be the same as the other two, who are also part of such "big MGS channel".

I'm not sure I get your barebones and full definitions of open-world, as I have not seen any definition given from you (I guess we're still using the Wikipedia one?), and such all games mentioned thus far enter the criteria. You're adamant on taking down an established open-world definition for MGSV for no reason at all, and instead could take virtue in pointing out the existing flaw's in MGSV's open world system when compared to what could possibly case in Breath of the Wild. Both games offer multiples possibilities, both games offer a place to explore and items to be find, and customizable main characters with both developed gear or one you could find on the map. You can keep trying to say MGSV isn't open-world but nothing you've said so far suggest it other than the main mission blocking you to a specific path, which is something not unlike any other open-world game.

Again, I agree that the game's weakness is precisely its open-world aspect, because it becomes barren and dull once you've invested time into it. It is something I've been saying all this time, but that's not because of the open-world per se, which is actually good when you're an underpowered, crippled soldier. It's the fact that it becomes void of any fun when you can destroy everything on your own way.

I'm not sure why we keep discussing this, either. I already gave you a definition on which MGSV fit. I already explained the discrepancies (and similarities) between the structure of Skyrim/Fallout and MGSV. I already pointed out how critics alike agree with the open-world thing, even your mentioned Gametrailers. I said that not everyone had to agree, probably you and someone else didn't feel like that. It's fine, I'm not here to convince anyone from anything. But there's not much I can say and more proof I can give before this conversation becomes all too redundant. Like I said earlier, it would have been much better to talk about possible Breath of the Wild's open-world virtues and defects by examining the post-morten of MGSV's open-world system, which can be easily compared to both by the similarities present as I explained them before. Instead you're trying to disprove something that's already proven and established by almost everyone. You disagree with it, fine.

Hynad said:
Pavolink said:

Because it was designed with a different focus? Yes. It's ignorant. IGNORANT.

The focus of the game is to let you explore whatever you want, whenever you want, with a touch of survival aspects and interesting physics to mess with. 

That doesn't mean the game can't feel barren. 

Which is why I'm questioning your comment here. If the focus is to explore a barren world, it's still a barren world. xD

You seem to just be buying into Aonuma's "getting lost isn't that bad" comment.

The game might not even feel barren in the end anyway. I'm simply questioning your comment about it, in which you claim anyone is ignorant if they end up thinking different from you. Designed a certain way or not, it doesn't mean the game won't feel a certain way. It doesn't mean it will feel barren either, mind you.

I am pretty hyped for this game, have been since it was first revealed in 2014. Have been asking for a return to the original's more open gameplay with minimal [no] hand holding since the N64 titles. And I'm more than fine with this kind of exploration. So yeah, you are not calling the right person ignorant.

I'm not calling you ignorant. I'm calling all of those that will complain in the future that are ignoring the warnings that the developer it's already pointing.

Everyone that expects a very dense game is going to be dissapointed. I have seen people overhyping this game so much that I can already see all of the future threads...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Hynad said:

The focus of the game is to let you explore whatever you want, whenever you want, with a touch of survival aspects and interesting physics to mess with. 

That doesn't mean the game can't feel barren. 

Which is why I'm questioning your comment here. If the focus is to explore a barren world, it's still a barren world. xD

You seem to just be buying into Aonuma's "getting lost isn't that bad" comment.

The game might not even feel barren in the end anyway. I'm simply questioning your comment about it, in which you claim anyone is ignorant if they end up thinking different from you. Designed a certain way or not, it doesn't mean the game won't feel a certain way. It doesn't mean it will feel barren either, mind you.

I am pretty hyped for this game, have been since it was first revealed in 2014. Have been asking for a return to the original's more open gameplay with minimal [no] hand holding since the N64 titles. And I'm more than fine with this kind of exploration. So yeah, you are not calling the right person ignorant.

I'm not calling you ignorant. I'm calling all of those that will complain in the future that are ignoring the warnings that the developer it's already pointing.

Everyone that expects a very dense game is going to be dissapointed. I have seen people overhyping this game so much that I can already see all of the future threads...

So, in the same vein, would you call The Order 1886's detractors as ignorants?

it can be 10 times bigger, it's still empty and looks like a wii game so i don't care, i wouldn't play zelda even if you paid me

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Pavolink said:

So, in the same vein, is it fair to assume you'd call The Order 1886's detractors as ignorant?

I have not played the game, so I don't know how to respond in that particular case. But if developers promised something and they didn't deliver, then no.

If the developers warned since the beggining how it was going to be the game, why would anyone would complain?

I'll never buy a game knowing since the beggining that it's not going to be good for my tastes.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile